• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Casey Thompson’s dad said Rhule told him to transfer.

I believe that many of these coaches just believe that they can take players with great tools and “coach them up”. I believe that is possible at many positions on the team like defense and lineman, but if you can’t catch a ball it don’t matter how fast you are and open you are. IMO, QB is the hardest to coach up, you either got it or you don’t.
That's all fine, but you don't run off a proven QB that has 1 year left like CT. Build up Sims for one year and have him ready next season.

We traded Jalen Hurts for Terrell Pryor. (no, CT isn't as good as JH and no Sims isn't as good at TP, but the gap is the same)

How do you clean up not even being able to catch the snap? Think of how different this game goes if he doesn't make those mistakes in the first half? I don't know how you develop someone to simply catch the snap and not stare down a received every time. I get giving kids a chance and not pulling them after every mistake, but Sims should be all out of grace.
you start with not hiking the ball when the te is right behind the center....

We've got what we've got at QB. I'm not over-reacting to one dropped snap. Yes, it was awful, but its not like he's dropping 5 snaps a game.

The issue is just his overall lack of ball security, which might be even more of an issue than if you could isolate it to dropped snaps. He throws picks, fumbles, dropped a snap, fumbles due to not getting Ervin the ball properly - its just a parade of ways to give the ball away. There are 10 more games for him to find more ways to give it to the other team.

I do believe that if you are going to ride Sims, you've got to get him going on the ground early. I know that didn't keep him from 3 picks against Minny, but they needed to get him going with some keepers or ZR against CU in the first half. Sometimes that helps settle a running QB and certainly makes the D react to open up other things.

We've got what we've got at QB. I'm not over-reacting to one dropped snap. Yes, it was awful, but its not like he's dropping 5 snaps a game.

The issue is just his overall lack of ball security, which might be even more of an issue than if you could isolate it to dropped snaps. He throws picks, fumbles, dropped a snap, fumbles due to not getting Ervin the ball properly - its just a parade of ways to give the ball away. There are 10 more games for him to find more ways to give it to the other team.

I do believe that if you are going to ride Sims, you've got to get him going on the ground early. I know that didn't keep him from 3 picks against Minny, but they needed to get him going with some keepers or ZR against CU in the first half. Sometimes that helps settle a running QB and certainly makes the D react to open up other things.
He dropped 2 shotgun snaps & lost both fumbles in 1st half yesterday. Now has 7-8 turnovers in 2 games. His current rate is basically a turnover each quarter played. If allowed to continue at this pace he will have a truly historic season.

How stupid are some of you? Herbal has the IQ and personality of a turnip, but he’s the clown you are going to take half truths and run with? Rhule did the honorable thing, and put the kid's best interest ahead what might be best for the team.

In review:

-Thompson wanted to start.
- he needed an offensive system that allowed him to showcase his throwing
-he was not eager to be in something run heavy
-he has shown he struggles with the physicality of the B1G

So when Rhule spoke to the family, he explained we weren’t running the Whipple 2.0 offense, we were wanting to incorporate the QB into the run game, and we had 4 guys who were already ahead of Casey in their ability to run the ball. Based on all of that, if Rhule didn’t say he should look elsewhere, then it would have been extremely selfish.

As a reminder, 54%, 180 yards, 2 INT yesterday. He also has -4 yards rushing for the year. But sure, we could give a snot what a moron like Herbal thinks.

Sims shows issue with phyiscally of Colorado. We were sold a bill of goods because Sim throws point down spirals which are tough to catch. Our receivers are among the worst in the B12. I watched Easterrn Michigan playing Minn tough. I think we might be worse then last year 3 TD in two games is suspect. Our offense needs a huge retooling.

I believe that many of these coaches just believe that they can take players with great tools and “coach them up”. I believe that is possible at many positions on the team like defense and lineman, but if you can’t catch a ball it don’t matter how fast you are and open you are. IMO, QB is the hardest to coach up, you either got it or you don’t.
I think you are spot on!

I hope after watching the film that Coach confirms what several million people noticed after watching Sims lead the offense. He has used up his benefit of the doubt.
I vote to turn the offense over to qb#2. Keep him in until he turns the ball over 3 times in a game.
Lou Holtz once told his starting quarterback that he would not turn the ball over three times in a game. “Thanks, Coach,” as he appreciated the confidence Lou had in him. Holtz replied, “Because if you turn the ball over 2 times, I am pulling you.”

Last edited:
This really concerns me. We are being sold that he is good at evaluating talent as he brings in a lot of under the radar guys. He literally looks Sims over and decides Sims is so good we can run other guys off
Im no talent evaluator, but i looked at CT and sims past this spring and felt our best qb was ct.
Rhule thinks otherwise and decides the nations turmover leader is right for NU
Im a Rhule fan, but this was his first huge judgement error and looks dumb. It really concerns me about his judgement going fordward.
He deserves ample criticism for taking this decision and stance. It currently looks just dumb as can be
I believe he saw talent and thought that the turnovers and misplays could be coached out of him. It’s possible that overestimation of his QB coach’s ability to make a difference may be a big part of the equation? If anything, Sims looks worse than he did at George Tech. Based on that observation I’m as concerned about the coaching as I am about the player.

Last edited:
Most of todays players believe they can get to the NFL. The want to be sure to get reps on tape so scouts can see them. Can't do that if you are not a starter. The portal is flooded with wantabees. I believe Simms was the best available and this staff thought they cou ld coach him up. Even with all his errors, the wr room is devoid of speed until the freshmen are let loose.

one dropped snap? Did you actually watch the game?

Sims has terrible set of hands!! He can't catch a cold. Evident in first game where he couldn't catch the throw back play!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back