• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Captain and Coke with ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks ***. Great write-up. You didn't mention Chris Walker and only mentioned Alston in the injury section. I presume that means you perceive they need further development to be ready to contribute.

As for anyone worried about post season awards, the offense was pretty darn good without a lot of all- conference recognition but a lot of those individual awards are also tied to team success. AM was statistically better than McSorley but NU didn't win as much as Penn State, for example.

On offense, I think Martinez is a strong candidate for first team all B1G if Haskins heads to the NFL. Washington, Spielman and Jaimes should also make a push for some level of all- conference recognition. Mills did enough at Georgia Tech to think he would be a candidate for offensive newcomer and Wandale Robinson has the potential for newcomer/freshman recognition. That's pretty good, as one school is not going to have 5 first team all-conference players very often in a 14 team league.

Defensively, the Davis twins, Barry and Bootle should be candidates for some form of all-conference recognition and Deontai Williams might be, as well, if he masters the mental side.

Some people need to learn to enjoy the ride. Win ten games, which I think is in the realm of possibility (though not necessarily an expectation) and we'll have plenty of all- conference recognition.

How much can the increase in soft tissue injuries be attributed to more reps in practice? More physical reps at that. I think it is definitely a by-product of a necessary change, but it needs to be watched.

Thanks ***. Great write-up. You didn't mention Chris Walker and only mentioned Alston in the injury section. I presume that means you perceive they need further development to be ready to contribute.

As for anyone worried about post season awards, the offense was pretty darn good without a lot of all- conference recognition but a lot of those individual awards are also tied to team success. AM was statistically better than McSorley but NU didn't win as much as Penn State, for example.

On offense, I think Martinez is a strong candidate for first team all B1G if Haskins heads to the NFL. Washington, Spielman and Jaimes should also make a push for some level of all- conference recognition. Mills did enough at Georgia Tech to think he would be a candidate for offensive newcomer and Wandale Robinson has the potential for newcomer/freshman recognition. That's pretty good, as one school is not going to have 5 first team all-conference players very often in a 14 team league.

Defensively, the Davis twins, Barry and Bootle should be candidates for some form of all-conference recognition and Deontai Williams might be, as well, if he masters the mental side.

Some people need to learn to enjoy the ride. Win ten games, which I think is in the realm of possibility (though not necessarily an expectation) and we'll have plenty of all- conference recognition.

8 losses for the second season in a row definitely sucked, but there was a ton in the ride this year that was enjoyable. Just the feel in the stadium was exponentially different this season, and the team was a helluva lot more fun to watch.

Very excited for the future - and it is right around the corner. And it begins with signing day.

I believe when they are really putting out physically, the athletes are straining their bodies,,,like a 300 lb lineman hits harder than a 250 lb lineman and collisions are almost never good. A guy running at 4.3 speed is going to hit harder than one running at 5.0 speed. Muscles and bones can only take so much. Proper conditioning can help but we are always going to have injuries. Like I said its a nit, but still there. I believe Frost gets every bit of energy from the players.
I get what you are saying. Things happen. But UCF claims to have had zero in 2017. Until Harrison Phillips blew his knee out at Stanford their S&C team had not had a season ending injury in 4 years. I would lean to thinking like you, where injuries happen. We just have to eliminate the season ending ones. Kids are gonna get knicked up.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts ***! Bland is at least still trying to engage with Husker fans.

Saw that. I'm getting too old now apparently because I don't know if someone is doing something for followers/attention, or if it's genuine. Basically fell off the twitter telling me what is going on when kids were saying "Hey Team X fans, let's get me to 10,000 followers" at every official visit they went on.

Walker needs more time. Alston was a bit injured (not terrible, just banged up) so I didn't get to see much of him. Big offseason for them, there's a chance to insert themselves.

How much can the increase in soft tissue injuries be attributed to more reps in practice? More physical reps at that. I think it is definitely a by-product of a necessary change, but it needs to be watched.
There's probably something to be said about that. I was even talking to someone that believes us going from grass to field turf back to grass during practices has something to do with it. I think our weight room routine is part of it currently. But year 2 is where I would make any definitive comments. Year 1 is tough for everyone because you can only play the hand you're dealt and you need at least 12 months to correct things.

Saw that. I'm getting too old now apparently because I don't know if someone is doing something for followers/attention, or if it's genuine. Basically fell off the twitter telling me what is going on when kids were saying "Hey Team X fans, let's get me to 10,000 followers" at every official visit they went on.
Agreed. Anyone who is interested in having X number of followers on Twitter probably doesn't have priorities that coincide with championship football.

Fantastic write-up, @ShortSideOption. I was a bit surprised that you don’t approve of Duval’s S&C strategy - everyone else seems to think that he’s the weight room savior we’ve needed. I’m interested to see how that approach plays out.

*swirl of scotch, neat*

Fantastic write-up, @ShortSideOption. I was a bit surprised that you don’t approve of Duval’s S&C strategy - everyone else seems to think that he’s the weight room savior we’ve needed. I’m interested to see how that approach plays out.

*swirl of scotch, neat*
Lol they certainly did a good marketing job. We just do some things that are known to cause some issues, and then some of the things stated publicly have rubbed me the wrong way due to not taking responsibility and refusing to change with the times on proven methods this past year.

That being said, we did change things up a bit and added some new things for the pre spring ball workouts. Things that this staff was adamantly against doing just 12 months ago. It’s my opinion that with all the injuries we had, we needed to change things up a bit. If you google the injuries we had and the prevention methods, we are starting to incorporate that now when we openly mocked them last spring. Hoping that pays dividends for the injuries next year. Quite honestly can’t get worse.

Thank goodness we have Duval, a real professional, building these athletes rather than the last clown who let the S&C program crash and burn for 3 years. It's hard to get hurt if you don't lift hard or play hard....pretty easy to be "healthy" (but soft) when you skip workouts anytime you feel like it.

Last edited:

We have plenty of names to go with each position group, but how many have made a name for themselves? Better question: How many are able to make a name for themselves?

JD Spielman, Mohamed Barry, and DiCaprio Bootle opened some eyes last year as 3rd team All Big 10 honorees. Those are the best returning players we have.

AM did not get any Big 10 honors, but he has already made a name for himself.

Games are won and lost at the LOS. Unfortunately we don't have any returning All Big 10 honorees on the O or D lines.

At this point we have lots of names and they have potential, but so far, nobody on our team has played above 3rd team B1G level. Roster-wise, we are still a work in progress. Recruiting and player development will continue as always.

We have a proven QB with Heisman potential. That's a good place to start. Every year somebody new steps ups and shines. However, who they will be and how much they will shine will not be known until we have another football season.

If SF's experience at NU parallels what happened at UCF, we should see significant improvement across the board in 2019, regardless of what names we have on our roster.

Our offense could/should be lethal in 2019 and the defense should be better.

This is a good football thread. Its about football players and football players are essential to any football program. This thread identifies WHO we have (and we are aware of what some of them can do), but until we see them perform in 2019, we won't know exactly WHAT we have.

:Teacher:

Last edited:

Great write up ***. Thank you for the Q&A afterwards also. Great stuff to ponder while we watch everybody else go bowling again this year. Since the coaches and players have had one year together hopefully the S&C concerns that you and others have expressed will work themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back