• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Calvin Avery

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWIW Harrison Phillips was at Pac 12 media days repping Stanford this past week or so ago. Just thought I'd mention that. :)
As we all know, there is always going to be some that get away for one reason or another. Its certainly a gamble when you don't have enough spots or the right spot for a guy to fill. Can't seem to win either way!

Must be really easy for people to focus on the ones that got away, than be thankful for the ones that came here. It is always easy to find that example that proves a persons negative point, instead of finding a positive example. There are a lot of walk ons, under the radar guys from all over who have made it big and got their start here. I kind of like those guys. Can't worry about the ones that got away.

:Huskerflag:

Must be really easy for people to focus on the ones that got away, than be thankful for the ones that came here. It is always easy to find that example that proves a persons negative point, instead of finding a positive example. There are a lot of walk ons, under the radar guys from all over who have made it big and got their start here. I kind of like those guys. Can't worry about the ones that got away.

:Huskerflag:
That's very true! They makes hundreds of offers and hope to secure 10% or even less.... Vegas has better odds than that!

Texas, however, drew blood first, plucking away quarterback Casey Thompson of Moore, Oklahoma, son of former Switzer wishbone quarterback Charles Thompson, just a few miles from the Sooners' backyard. Texas followed that up by convincing Oklahoma quarterback commitment Cameron Rising to switch to the Longhorns.

From an article on ESPN about Texas and Oklahoma. Losing recruits in your own backyard, legacy recruits as well happens anywhere. The kid has to want to come to your school, can't assume anything anymore.

As we all know, there is always going to be some that get away for one reason or another. Its certainly a gamble when you don't have enough spots or the right spot for a guy to fill. Can't seem to win either way!

I remember the should they/shouldn't they debate with Phillips back in the 2014 class. At the time I felt Mick Stoltenberg was the better prospect and thought the staff should offer him over Phillips if they were only going to go after one guy. Even after Phillips has started multiple seasons for Stanford and was named honorable mention All-Pac 12 last year, I still believe that. I like Stoltenberg more than Phillips.

Meh, I was watching Pac-12 media days on the Pac 12 network and saw he and Bryce Love were there for Stanford...just wanted to crowbar that info into a thread ;)

Sure every Husker fan wanted to see it. :thumbsup:

I remember the should they/shouldn't they debate with Phillips back in the 2014 class. At the time I felt Mick Stoltenberg was the better prospect and thought the staff should offer him over Phillips if they were only going to go after one guy. Even after Phillips has started multiple seasons for Stanford and was named honorable mention All-Pac 12 last year, I still believe that. I like Stoltenberg more than Phillips.
Ya... but the only season he played the entire season was as a true freshman in 2014. He blew his knee out first game of his true sophomore season, then injured his knee again in the season opener as a junior and forced him to miss the next game against a conference opponent, but was still able to gain all conference honors despite missing a couple games.

To your point, I only hate that we missed on Phillips because we ended up taking Deandre Wills, Sedrick King, Joe Keels, and the prized recruit from that class was Peyton Newell. Pelini's staff was so unorganized or didn't have a handle on what they could actually get that we let him get away for that crop of DL talent. Hindsight kind of, but not when you start bringing Drew Ott, Nate Bazata, Casey Sayles into the argument.

We can sit and go rounds about Avery all we want, but he obviously doesn't fit what we are looking for. This board would have melted down if UCLA and Iowa offered Mapieu and we didn't. We got our NG and those don't grow on trees in this state. Our staff knows something we don't about the current DE spot. I firmly believe they think they are in a great spot with Carson, and we don't need 2 NGs this class (per what we are chasing). So there's really no need to get upset we don't have Avery except from a recruiting ranking perspective.

It has made me ponder some things though... DL recruiting is shaping up like LB recruiting in my eyes/opinion. I was always thrilled with Bray's recruiting, but his recruiting numbers didn't always reflect that. Conversely, you have a guy like Donte Williams pulling in guys that are highly ranked. DL recruiting seems to be going close to the LB route, where we identify guys we want but they may not be highly ranked (at least right away). You look at guys like Robert Porcher last year where we got in early as he was a 2 star, then he blew up to a 4 star. Thomas and Daniels aren't highly rated, but we fended off some big name schools for them. Same with Guy Thomas as Parrella was the one that told everyone in the recruiting room "relax, we are good" when he took a visit on one of the last weekends before signing day to another school. I trust coaches and their evaluations until they give me a few years to think otherwise. I think we are fine.

We can sit and go rounds about Avery all we want, but he obviously doesn't fit what we are looking for. This board would have melted down if UCLA and Iowa offered Mapieu and we didn't. We got our NG and those don't grow on trees in this state. Our staff knows something we don't about the current DE spot. I firmly believe they think they are in a great spot with Carson, and we don't need 2 NGs this class (per what we are chasing). So there's really no need to get upset we don't have Avery except from a recruiting ranking perspective.

It has made me ponder some things though... DL recruiting is shaping up like LB recruiting in my eyes/opinion. I was always thrilled with Bray's recruiting, but his recruiting numbers didn't always reflect that. Conversely, you have a guy like Donte Williams pulling in guys that are highly ranked. DL recruiting seems to be going close to the LB route, where we identify guys we want but they may not be highly ranked (at least right away). You look at guys like Robert Porcher last year where we got in early as he was a 2 star, then he blew up to a 4 star. Thomas and Daniels aren't highly rated, but we fended off some big name schools for them. Same with Guy Thomas as Parrella was the one that told everyone in the recruiting room "relax, we are good" when he took a visit on one of the last weekends before signing day to another school. I trust coaches and their evaluations until they give me a few years to think otherwise. I think we are fine.
Yep some folks on the recruiting board. (Not naming names) Come off like the rain man. We definitely need to take Avery, Defintiely Avery. Definitely need an OL, definitely OL. We all have our favorites but we have to trust that the coaches have a plan. I will admit that I would go full rain man if we lost Bookie XLIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back