• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bye-Week Other Teams Game Thread (10/21/17)

It could for sure hard to argue that especially in Happy Valley. A game I thought we would lose pre-season and little to change my mind on that. With that being said if we win the other four and finish 7-5 it would exceed what I think most folks honestly at this point in time expect.

None of Purdue, NW, Minnie, or Iowa looked good today

No they did not. Was talking with some friends over the past week or so and I said those games are all winnable.

Penn State on the road I would be shocked if we pulled that off. Would be by far the biggest upset of the year. Not going to happen or even be close in my opinion opinion

None of Purdue, NW, Minnie, or Iowa looked good today

Last edited:

Maybe we'll get it together by season's end, we have a young team and new D and lots can happen.

People say we've underachieved this year but I'm not so sure that's the case.

A late surge would be great for the players, HCMR, and the fans.

I hope and pray that's the case.

But I don't think so. And it pains me to say that. Beyond pain. If there is such a thing as "beyond pain."

I mentioned shortly after Eichorst was fired ... a young, mentally fragile Nebraska team may very well collapse for the season once faced with adversity.

And then came the second half against Wisconsin. And the disaster against Ohio State. And I'm not at all sure how this team can pick itself back up.

You cannot tell me the assistant coaches aren't thinking about finding new jobs for next season. And players aren't thinking about a new staff. And if they'll fit. And if they should transfer.

I tend to believe there's a strong lack of focus now. From a very young team with zero certainty about 2018. And it's pretty easy to just mail it in. Because even if they win out, there's still no guarantee for anyone on this staff. None.

Personally, I'm pretty damned pissed Eichorst was fired in September. And not necessarily because he didn't deserve it. But because the timing was horribly pathetic and desperate. I understand getting a new AD in place before the end of the year. In case we do need to make a coaching change. But freaking let the season play out -- or at least most of it before making that call. Fact is, UNL could have fired Eichorst on December 1 and still hired Moos. But when you fire the AD in September, you've pulled the rug out from beneath the entire team and staff. I'll never forgive the UNL administration for this. And it's not a matter of whether or not Riley should come back for season four. But he damn well (as well as the players) deserved to let this season playing out before the entire fan base, media, etc. had turned toward wondering who the next coach will be.

And now, I will be more than surprised if this team is able to maintain the chemistry and motivation to win games. And I completely blame the UNL administration for their horrible and unnecessary choice in timing.

Last edited:
I don't have any issues with the timing of letting Eichorst go when they did. The team/staff responded well out of the gate by beating IL & Rutgers. But they got crushed by Wisky & tOSU at home . . . and that sort of laid bare the glaring issues with the team/staff. They're just not accomplishing what they were hired to accomplish and they look really bad at times, especially against teams with half a pulse.

The rest of the year is Riley's audition . . . the best way to prove the naysayers wrong is to prove them wrong on the field. If that's too much pressure, then this isn't the staff to chase championships. It will all work itself out.

Anyone else catch Leach making his offense do up downs on the sideline when they came off field after a 3 and out? Lol.

I don't have any issues with the timing of letting Eichorst go when they did. The team/staff responded well out of the gate by beating IL & Rutgers. But they got crushed by Wisky & tOSU at home . . . and that sort of laid bare the glaring issues with the team/staff. They're just not accomplishing what they were hired to accomplish and they look really bad at times, especially against teams with half a pulse.

The rest of the year is Riley's audition . . . the best way to prove the naysayers wrong is to prove them wrong on the field. If that's too much pressure, then this isn't the staff to chase championships. It will all work itself out.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

Because there is absolutely no way Riley is coming back. Even if this team wins out. No way at all. Nebraska as a state has already moved on from Riley. The national media has already moved on from Riley. In fact, if Riley were to return in 2018 -- even after winning out -- there would be a tremendous uproar. I guarantee it. You cannot convince me that if NU were to win out and bring back Riley that it wouldn't be beyond ugly in Husker Nation.

The firing of Eichorst in September set everything up for failure. Both coaches and players realized at that very moment there was zero room for error. Because that was very much the case. And there was even some level of doubt had they beaten Wisconsin and/or Ohio State -- it may still not matter for the future of the staff. And you put that much pressure on one of the youngest teams in the nation, and it's a recipe for disaster. No exceptions.

There is no audition. Don't kid yourself.

Last edited:
We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

Because there is absolutely no way Riley is coming back. Even if this team wins out. No way at all. Nebraska as a state has already moved on from Riley. The national media has already moved on from Riley. In fact, if Riley were to return in 2018 -- even after winning out -- there would be a tremendous uproar. I guarantee it. You cannot convince me that if NU were to win out and bring back Riley that it wouldn't be beyond ugly in Husker Nation.

The firing of Eichorst in September set everything up for failure. Both coaches and players realized at that very moment there was zero room for error. Because that was very much the case. And there was even some level of doubt had they beaten Wisconsin and/or Ohio State -- it may still not matter for the future of the staff. And you put that much pressure on one of the youngest teams in the nation, and it's a recipe for disaster. No exceptions.

There is no audition. Don't kid yourself.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

But if Riley wins out . . . that means he beats both Iowa and PSU (at home--who just demolished Michigan). If he does that, he's back IMHO and probably should be if he can pull that off. I think the general feeling is that it's not going to happen. And if it doesn't happen, then why go through the motions with this staff when you have a far tougher schedule in 2018?

I actually think Riley can survive if he loses another game (let's say PSU) but wins the others. Lose 2 or more and I think it's over and probably should be.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back