• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Buckeyes win, but only team scared of Ohio State's passing game is Ohio State: Doug Lesmerises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Lesmerises is the dean of Ohio State beat writers....I love reading his stuff year in and year out. This has pretty much been the talk about and around Ohio State football of late.

Every issue with Ohio State's passing game that popped up in the overtime win at Wisconsin, that popped up in the loss at Penn State, popped up again against the Wildcats in a 24-20 OSU win.

That's a trend. Here's a reality.

The only team scared of Ohio State's passing game is Ohio State.

Northwestern added to the blueprint for attempting to hold down this offense, dropping eight defenders, rushing three, not allowing J.T. Barrett to scramble and either run or make throws off broken plays. The result was the return of the pump-fake dance so familiar over the past month.

Barrett wants to throw. No one is open. He can't throw or won't throw. So he pump fakes.

They'll have to keep proving themselves that way the rest of the season. Because no defense is going to fear it.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2016/10/the_only_team_scared_of_ohio_s.html#incart_big-photo

I don't think OSU can beat us passing the way our D has locked things down in the defensive backfield. They'll have to get the running game going, which could be our Achilles heel in this game.

I don't think OSU can beat us passing the way our D has locked things down in the defensive backfield. They'll have to get the running game going, which could be our Achilles heel in this game.

The more I read about tOSU, the more it seems like this could become Wisconsin II...a close, low scoring game. UNL is good at stopping the run and tOSU is struggling with their passing game. Maybe the Huskers can hold tOSU to 20 points or less.

Scoring on tOSU's defense will be just as difficult as it was at Wisconsin. To win, UNL will have to make it just as difficult for tOSU to score, and it looks like that is possible.

However, I can't ignore the fact that Urban Meyer is 57-5 at tOSU. I have seen his teams rise to the challenge over and over, and I am concerned that tOSU is going to come out of its slump and start firing on all cylinders. Urban Meyer & tOSU are about winning national championships and it would not surprise me if tOSU ignites a new NC run this Saturday using 10th ranked UNL as its springboard.

Urban Meyer has a chance to eventually win more NCs than anyone in history. When it comes to winning championships, Urban Meyer is about as good as they come. UM's tOSU teams are beatable, but on the rare occasions when they do get beat, it is only by a nose. IMO, it will be extremely difficult to beat tOSU this week-end.

Under Meyer, tOSU's 5 losses are to MSU by 10 points in 2013, to Clemson by 5 points in 2013, to Virginia Tech by 14 points in 2014, to MSU by 3 in 2015 and to PSU by 3 in 2016.

They have lost 5 games in 4.5 years by a total of 35 points. They consistently play at a high level...very consistently. If UNL wins, they will be only the 4th school to beat Meyer since he arrived at tOSU. It will be a rare feat.

We can talk about tOSU's youth and their struggles with passing & running and so forth, but we should not forget about who their coach is. MR is good, but I'll bet that tOSU will have a good game plan, too...and a team that is absolutely ready (and able) to execute that plan.

Believe it or not (and like it or not) this Saturday UNL will be facing a team coached by the equivalent of a Knute Rockne, Frank Leahy, Barry Switzer, Nick Saban, Bear Bryant, Bob Devaney or Tom Osborne. Urban Meyer is clearly a HOF-type coach.

It is great that UNL has the opportunity to meet this challenge and great that they enough coaching and talent to make a game of it.

:mr:

Last edited:
I sure hope Tim "let me prove to you I can do what you say I can't" Beck follows suit and tries to force the pass down field. As an example MI and MN 2011. I think one of those games was where he told a reporter that sometimes he gets into the game and starts to repeat plays. (I do not remember the exact quote.) When he was asked why he passed so much.

The more I read about tOSU, the more it seems like this could become Wisconsin II...a close, low scoring game. UNL is good at stopping the run and tOSU is struggling with their passing game. Maybe the Huskers can hold tOSU to 20 points or less.

Scoring on tOSU's defense will be just as difficult as it was at Wisconsin. To win, UNL will have to make it just as difficult for tOSU to score, and it looks like that is possible.

However, I can't ignore the fact that Urban Meyer is 57-5 at tOSU. I have seen his teams rise above any challenge over and over, and I am concerned that tOSU is going to come out of its slump and start firing on all cylinders. Urban Meyer & tOSU are about winning national championships and it would not surprise me if tOSU ignites a new NC run this Saturday.

Urban Meyer has a chance to eventually win more NCs than anyone in history. When it comes to winning championships, Urban Meyer is about as good as they come. UM's tOSU teams are beatable, but on the rare occasions when they do get beat, it is only by a nose. IMO, it will be extremely difficult to beat tOSU this week-end.

Under Meyer, tOSU's 5 losses are to MSU by 10 points in 2013, to Clemson by 5 points in 2013, to Virginia Tech by 14 points in 2014, to MSU by 3 in 2015 and to PSU by 3 in 2016.

They have lost 5 games in 4.5 years by a total of 35 points. They consistently play at a high level...very consistently. If UNL wins, they will be only the 4th school to beat Meyer since he arrived at tOSU. It will be a rare feat.

We can talk about tOSU's youth and their struggles with passing & running and so forth, but we should not forget about who their coach is. MR is good, but I'll bet that tOSU will have a good game plan, too...and a team that is absolutely ready (and able) to execute that plan.

Believe it or not (and like it or not) this Saturday UNL will be facing a team coached by the equivalent of a Knute Rockne, Frank Leahy, Barry Switzer, Nick Saban, Bear Bryant, Bob Devaney or Tom Osborne. Urban Meyer is clearly a HOF-type coach.

It is great that UNL has the opportunity to meet this challenge and great that they enough coaching and talent to make a game of it.

:mr:

Ummm, except for that one play that Wisky got 250 yards on in a quarter and a half.

Last edited:
HOF coach - yes, for his accomplishments.

And he had to have success at Utah and Bowling Green to get to where he is now ... but you almost have to be incompetent to not be successful at Florida and Ohio State. These two schools have more resources, are located in recruiting rich regions and are blue blood programs. I am not trying to diminish his accomplishments and I agree he's a HOF coach but he's also been in the right place at the right time.

He's smart enough to surround himself with talented people. He's got great ADs supporting his every whim. He's got more talent on one team in one year than Iowa State has in a decade. I also like that he's smart enough to simplify his process (he keeps a piece of paper with his top playmakers listed reminding himself to not over-think the game and simply get his key guys the ball).

He's the maestro that orchestrates the organization but I'm not sure he belongs in the same breath as some of the guys you've listed.

I came away from this thread with a Urban Meyer is a Unicorn thought in my head
......thanks Paramus

No question they have a great coach who recruits at a high level. But his staff is lacking in some areas this year and their play doesn't match their talent level.

Barrett is my biggest concern. If we can force Beck to throw, we have a chance as I think we saw a better defense last week.

No question they have a great coach who recruits at a high level. But his staff is lacking in some areas this year and their play doesn't match their talent level.

Barrett is my biggest concern. If we can force Beck to throw, we have a chance as I think we saw a better defense last week.

Smith the WR coach is a great recruiter and as we both know an average coach at best and its shown over the years. This year more than others and he is just one example.

They do not have an elite running back this year as we both know too so yeah forcing Barrett to throw is one of the keys to winning this game

And he had to have success at Utah and Bowling Green to get to where he is now ... but you almost have to be incompetent to not be successful at Florida and Ohio State. These two schools have more resources, are located in recruiting rich regions and are blue blood programs. I am not trying to diminish his accomplishments and I agree he's a HOF coach but he's also been in the right place at the right time.

He's smart enough to surround himself with talented people. He's got great ADs supporting his every whim. He's got more talent on one team in one year than Iowa State has in a decade. I also like that he's smart enough to simplify his process (he keeps a piece of paper with his top playmakers listed reminding himself to not over-think the game and simply get his key guys the ball).

He's the maestro that orchestrates the organization but I'm not sure he belongs in the same breath as some of the guys you've listed.

Yes, accomplishments are very important to get into the HOF. In fact, what else is there? UM will not become a HOF member due to his record of perfect attendance on game days.

I am sure that Urban Meyer Meyer would have done very well at UNL and I am sure that tOSU fans are very happy that he replaced Luke Fickell.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope you're right about this. Because, if I remember correctly, we were the only team to hand Rockne's Four Horsemen their two defeats. I'm fine with us knocking another HOF coach off his perch, if only for a season.

I sincerely hope you're right about this. Because, if I remember correctly, we were the only team to hand Rockne's Four Horsemen their two defeats. I'm fine with us knocking another HOF coach off his perch, if only for a season.

Amen, brother. In life, our greatest joy comes from winning our greatest battles. I love having a match-up with UM's Buckeyes. A victory in Columbus offers Huskers fans the opportunity for great joy...much more joy than they would get with a 50-point win over Fresno State.

Yep, droves of Husker fans still discuss our wins over Knute Rockne's 4 horseman, but only a handful talk about our turn of the century wins over the Lincoln YMCA.

Last edited:

Well, I mean, c'mon now....that's not very tough... :Lol:

Smith the WR coach is a great recruiter and as we both know an average coach at best and its shown over the years. This year more than others and he is just one example.

They do not have an elite running back this year as we both know too so yeah forcing Barrett to throw is one of the keys to winning this game

RR, I know you never like to bring up anything negative about Husker football, so I will do it for you.

This morning on the Big Ten Network they interviewed Matt Davison. Matt said that tOSU's defensive line is great and our beat up offensive line might get overwhelmed. To score in this game, Matt said that UNL may have to hope for great field position provided by turnovers and outstanding special teams plays.

RR if you would prefer to avoid the subject of the tOSU defense, I will understand. I realize it would be hard for you to claim that it is "average at best" or "overrated" or something like that, so it is probably best that you stay away from that subject.

But, know this RR...tOSU does have defense, it is a very good one, and the Huskers will be spending a lot of time with it this week-end.

Last edited:

RR, I know you never like to bring up anything negative about Husker football, so I will do it for you.

This morning on the Big Ten Network they interviewed Matt Davison. Matt said that tOSU's defensive line is great and our beat up offensive line might get overwhelmed. To score in this game, Matt said that UNL may have to hope for great field position provided by turnovers and outstanding special teams plays.

RR if you would prefer to avoid the subject of the tOSU defense, I will understand. I realize it would be hard for you to claim that it is "average at best" or "overrated" or something like that, so it is probably best that you stay away from that subject.

But, know this RR...tOSU does have defense, it is a very good one, and the Huskers will be spending a lot of time with it this week-end.

Oh, I agree that Ohio St. has a great defense. Athlete wise it is way better than Wisconsin. Scheme wise it is not. The key to this game is if OSU plays they way it has been playing or if its super athletes really show up and play. Ohio St doesn't do anything super complicated offensively or defensively. They count on their superior athletes beating you.

I think the defense will play well and hold down OSU to something in the 20's. It really depends on our offense and getting the run game going and TA having a good day throwing the ball. He doesn't have to have a phenominal day, he just needs to have a good day. He needs to be sharper than he was against Wisconsin. If that happens and they get a couple of turnovers and a good return in ST and you may see a win.

This is not Urban Meyers best team at OSU. They are real young and playing young right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back