• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked BRR: Gerry could play as a freshman (Free Article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
FYI....

On Thursday, he was mentioned by Joseph when talking about the safety position, which led us to ask - at what point would a decision be made to play him or not play him?

"I think every freshman is different. I think at a certain point, how he progresses is going to tell us," said Joseph. "When I recruit a guy, I never mention redshirt, because I don't know. I expect every guy to come in and play. And if it doesn't workout, we will make that decision.

Joseph also talked about the advantages of helping the special teams unit with a talented player like Gerry and how even limited work can be crucial for a player's development.
"If you can get a guy, who can get 50 to 60 snaps as a freshman, it's only going to help them when they are a sophomore."

Read the whole thing here: http://nebraska.scout.com/2/1314433.html

If nothing else a guided missile on special teams. With the added speed with the likes of Gerry and Martinez, it will be a lot tougher seeing some returner take it to the house against Nebraska. I could see both bypassing a redshirt. Bo's hungry.

Mike Schafer was talking about him this AM on Sharp and Benning and just how good he has looked....wide open for him to play this year....all of the coaches talk about him all the time....and that is tell-tale....

It's funny what 10.2 speed can do for a guy. Ol Deon couldn't tackle his grandma and still made a name for himself.:2cents:

Schaffer just said he thought Gerry could play the dime this year....use him to cover TEs.....has the speed and can hit a ton....

I like the idea of putting some of these freshmen skill position players on special teams. It keeps them motivated and hopefully they can also see some time late in games. I know Saban does this at Bama.

At the very least Gerry should be on special teams. I wouldn't be surprised if this kid plays a lot on the defensive side of the ball this season. He certainly looks the part. Maybe a more athletic and speedy Matt O'hanlon.. and if he can tackle like him all the better!

This should not come as a huge surprise to anyone, but Gerry has also been taking snaps at LB. The guy has "PESO" written all over him.

I have a strong predilection for redshirting young guys, but its a different era of college football, so playing freshman is a necessity.

You are also saving a redshirt for another year, in case there is a season-ending injury.

I like the idea of putting some of these freshmen skill position players on special teams. It keeps them motivated and hopefully they can also see some time late in games. I know Saban does this at Bama.
He sure does and it pays off.

If nothing else a guided missile on special teams. With the added speed with the likes of Gerry and Martinez, it will be a lot tougher seeing some returner take it to the house against Nebraska. I could see both bypassing a redshirt. Bo's hungry.

Don't forget Josh Banderas either, he showed he can track down anyone at the Army All-American game. Also looking forward to seeing Andy Janovich, King Frazier and Harrison Jordan blocking ahead of Drake Martinez and Terrell Newby on kickoff returns! (Although Ameer swears he is not going to give up on being a punt/kick returner.)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back