• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bracketologist Erik Haslam: Nebraska is in

Read on another husker board....a guy posted that NU should refuse to play creighton because a) it doesn't help Nebraska and b) because creighton won't play UNO. Good stuff.

That is dumb. It’s an easily scheduled quality game against a typically quality opponent. Now, I would argue that Nebraska shouldn’t have given Creighton that sweetheart home-and-home deal when we were in the Big 12 for so many years, but that’s an entirely different argument.

That is dumb. It’s an easily scheduled quality game against a typically quality opponent. Now, I would argue that Nebraska shouldn’t have given Creighton that sweetheart home-and-home deal when we were in the Big 12 for so many years, but that’s an entirely different argument.
You mean when they played twice in the same year? I don't think either side ended up liking that deal. Make scheduling easier but it's just weird playing 2 non con games against the same team.

You mean when they played twice in the same year? I don't think either side ended up liking that deal. Make scheduling easier but it's just weird playing 2 non con games against the same team.

Yeah, that was stupid. I’m more talking about the rotating home schedules that Nebraska foolishly agreed to in the 90’s that carried through the Collier and Doc years. Of course, I’ve never seen an athletic department and its coaches mismanage a basketball schedule as poor as Nebraska did post-Nee. Miles has been a breath of fresh air in that regard. I don’t know if they had any analytical people helping them or not, but clearly they had no idea what they were doing.

Yeah, that was stupid. I’m more talking about the rotating home schedules that Nebraska foolishly agreed to in the 90’s that carried through the Collier and Doc years. Of course, I’ve never seen an athletic department and its coaches mismanage a basketball schedule as poor as Nebraska did post-Nee. Miles has been a breath of fresh air in that regard. I don’t know if they had any analytical people helping them or not, but clearly they had no idea what they were doing.
i don't recall it ever being anything other than home/home

When did they start playing again? Early 90’s then?
looked it up. 1977 and it was home/away from the start. NU surely wanted to make it a permanent fixture in Lincoln but CU would never have agreed and NU would have looked bad quitting the series for a second time in the century.

looked it up. 1977 and it was home/away from the start. NU surely wanted to make it a permanent fixture in Lincoln but CU would never have agreed and NU would have looked bad quitting the series for a second time in the century.

Okay, yeah I didn’t remember that but I was pretty young.

I’d have quit it in 2 seconds in the late 90s and early 2000’s.

In "normal years games against ...." The names don't matter when they are looking who you beat. Those are 100+ teams so they aren't going to go into the "equation" as a "+".

I agree that teams that are clearly falling apart at the end of the year like OU should be left out in favor of teams that are playing better basketball. But like in the case of OU, ASU, Cuse, etc. any of those teams being left out doesn't help Nebraska. Nebraska was basically not under consideration for an at large bid.

I think that michigan game in the big 10 tourney did more damage than people think. Yes, Rassmussen probably saw more NU basketball than other committee members but he's only one guy. I'm willing to bet that NU was on the radar for a bid with the other members and I'm willing to bet every one of them watched the Michigan game. And what they saw was a team where exactly 1 player showed up to play (Roby had a really good game) and the rest basically rolled over. They saw a team that was offensively inept....shot 30%. Is it fair that that one game potentially so much sway? Maybe not. But Nebraska knew what they had to do...and not only did they not do it...they got severely outclassed. Any hope of even being legitimately considered ended that day.

As for Creighton...you're showing your bias and anger. As as 8 seed it is clear that CU was in the dance whether they beat Nova that day or not. They had 5 tier 1 wins, 3 tier 2 wins and their worst losses were to Baylor and Marquette...2 fringe bubble teams. So that one game didn't "validate" their selection...it improved their seed. Big difference. "Perennial also ran"....riiight....most programs not names Duke, UNC, Kentucky, MSU, Kansas, etc. fall into that category. Guess being an also ran beats the s--- out of not having ran at all doncha think? NU basketball fans should really think several times before throwing shade at any program that has...I don't know...won an NCAA tourney game at some point. There is hope though....Jays likely lose their two all conference level players after this year so Tim Miles should be a solid favorite to finally get a win in the series.

Obviously NU is #2 in my heart when it comes to basketball. Always has been and always will be. But I tend to not dog the history of the program until ill-informed nonsense like your's gets spit out. I will say this...I don't miss a couple former posters that used to make the same silly mistake. (I'm STILL waiting for UNO to supplant CU as "omaha's team")

Good for you and I hope your team gets its occasional win in the NCAA this year!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back