• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bo to Oregon? "He may be interested" - Dirk Chatelain

Status
Not open for further replies.
?

And I'd hardly call banging out tweets part of a real journalists job. Don't tweets show up on the persons account? Where are the three tweets that prompted this speculative post by dirkle?

And what is the basis of his claim that bo may be interested?

Doesn't "may" convey that he might be interested or he might not be? I read the tweet to be more along the lines of, it doesn't matter if Bo is interested in Oregon because he doesn't think Oregon will be interested in Bo. Which is probably a true statement. It's not a knock on Bo, I just don't think that he is going to make Oregon's short list. In any event, the tweet was so innocuous and noncommittal that I can't see how it would offend anyone except those who are going to find fault with Dirk regardless of what he does.

Doesn't "may" convey that he might be interested or he might not be? I read the tweet to be more along the lines of, it doesn't matter if Bo is interested in Oregon because he doesn't think Oregon will be interested in Bo. Which is probably a true statement. It's not a knock on Bo, I just don't think that he is going to make Oregon's short list. In any event, the tweet was so innocuous and noncommittal that I can't see how it would offend anyone except those who are going to find fault with Dirk regardless of what he does.

Local writers who criticize the Husker program get skewered and reviled by "real" fans -- those kind of "real" fans "who post anonymously on random message boards," as 1620 says in their message board posting of the day.

I'm certainly willing to find fault in most things Dirk does. I don't think he's much of a journalist. Even so, wouldn't you agree bringing Bo's interest into this was loaded, anyway? Couldn't he have accomplished the same thing by simply stating, in response to the supposed tweets, "Oregon isn't going to be interested in Bo."?

"May" may be innocuous. But from a journalist with Dirk's history, i doubt it. It's a bit of pot stirring. And would you consider this use innocuous: "He may beat his wife, but I don't think he's going to be prosecuted."

I think a lot of this boils down to whether we want NU football covered by TMZ type bloggers or WSJ/NYT type journalists.

The options are that Dirk:

A: Has a poor command of the English language and didn't understand his own phrasing (entirely possible);

B: Is intentionally pushing Bo's buttons, attempting to interfere with recruiting, and/or general pot-stirring;

C: All of the above.

I'm certainly willing to find fault in most things Dirk does. I don't think he's much of a journalist. Even so, wouldn't you agree bringing Bo's interest into this was loaded, anyway? Couldn't he have accomplished the same thing by simply stating, in response to the supposed tweets, "Oregon isn't going to be interested in Bo."?

"May" may be innocuous. But from a journalist with Dirk's history, i doubt it. It's a bit of pot stirring. And would you consider this use innocuous: "He may beat his wife, but I don't think he's going to be prosecuted."

I think a lot of this boils down to whether we want NU football covered by TMZ type bloggers or WSJ/NYT type journalists.

I just wanted it reported WITHOUT bias. If you want to editorialize than say this is my opinion, otherwise if there is news report it, if not then don't make up stuff. Dirk and Barfnecht may be good journalist I choose NOT to read them because I disagree with 2/3 of their writing and think the other 1/3 is wrong.

I just wanted it reported WITHOUT bias. If you want to editorialize than say this is my opinion, otherwise if there is news report it, if not then don't make up stuff. Dirk and Barfnecht may be good journalist I choose NOT to read them because I disagree with 2/3 of their writing and think the other 1/3 is wrong.

As much as to pains me to point this out, but someone mentioned that Dirk's column now carries the "In My Opinion" tag. I can't confirm that as I am not clicking on any links to his material.

As much as to pains me to point this out, but someone mentioned that Dirk's column now carries the "In My Opinion" tag. I can't confirm that as I am not clicking on any links to his material.

If so that is fine. If it does, and I know it is his opinion I will not read it because I don't care for his opinion. He might be a fine person but in this great country I don't have to like everyone's opinion and I don't even have to have a good reason. I might be an idiot but I am ok with that.

Last edited:

Must say anything out Dirk's mouth in a tweet about what Bo is thinking strikes me as pretty funny. Like he is someone who is close to Bo. Doubt those close to Bo trust him either.

what a jerk that dirk, sound like he took out CM's mother to a nice seafood dinner, and NEVER CALLED HER AGAIN

It is my opinion that my interest in this thread is subjecting me to reading about others opinions about why they don't care for someone else's opinion and how thier opinion is that they don't have to agree with or read about said opinion.

It is therefore also my opinion that we should revert back to bashing BARNUM.

Last edited:

Hmm. "May" beat his wife and "may" be interested in the Oregon job are on two different planets. The former is slanderous. The latter is the idle chatter of a sports writer in the offseason. And whether you like it or not, Twitter has become a huge part of a journalist's job. Paul Krugman of the NYT has nearly 700,000 followers on Twitter and adds to his feed several times per day.

For sports writers, Twitter is a must. Bill Simmons has 1.6 million followers. Andy Staples (covers college football for SI) has almost 25,000 Tweets and has been actively covering the Kelly story on Twitter. In any case, Husker football is in the entertainment industry. You may want to consider it really heady like high finance, economics or politics but it has a lot more in common with the topics covered by TMZ than those covered by the WSJ.

Nobody who wants to keep their job would cover local/regional sports in the same way they might cover the sovereign debt crisis.

Last edited:

what a jerk that dirk, sound like he took out CM's mother to a nice seafood dinner, and NEVER CALLED HER AGAIN

That's funny...but a little harsh. You must remember that cm is ultra sensitive when anyone mentions the word "Bo" without an immediate and unending effusion of praise. Since he is a spectator who doesn't really care what NU's record is, he's happy for life with Bo, no matter how Bo treats him. Others will wise up eventually...not cm.

Last edited:
Hmm. "May" beat his wife and "may" be interested in the Oregon job are on two different planets. The former is slanderous. The latter is the idle chatter of a sports writer in the offseason. .

Your main problem is you try to inject reason and context into a discussion with cm...he'll never buy THAT.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back