• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Pelini Was Right

Ya know that old line their Riley recruits is getting old. A coach worth his salt should be able to get at least .500 wins out of those recruits unless of course you are using them wrong.
At this point, I think it's past the case of "Riley's recruits". I think the guys we have WANT to buy in, but they haven't lived the life yet; i.e. they don't know what they don't know. They give "pretty good" effort for a while, then they take a play off and get burned. Not everyone -- but it only takes one guy out of position, or looking at the wrong key, on any given play.

On top of that, we don't yet have the depth or the horses to make up for the loss of Ozigbo, Morgan, Gifford, Farmer, etc. And the guys that got plugged in to replace them either weren't ready yet, or may never be.

Honestly, I don't think anyone expected:
1. That there would be such a drop-off in talent (or effort) this year, and
2. That the coaches wouldn't be able to coach them out of it.

At this point, I think it's past the case of "Riley's recruits". I think the guys we have WANT to buy in, but they haven't lived the life yet; i.e. they don't know what they don't know. They give "pretty good" effort for a while, then they take a play off and get burned. Not everyone -- but it only takes one guy out of position, or looking at the wrong key, on any given play.

On top of that, we don't yet have the depth or the horses to make up for the loss of Ozigbo, Morgan, Gifford, Farmer, etc. And the guys that got plugged in to replace them either weren't ready yet, or may never be.

Honestly, I don't think anyone expected:
1. That there would be such a drop-off in talent (or effort) this year, and
2. That the coaches wouldn't be able to coach them out of it.

The bolded is what surprises me.

Injuries and attrition to previous classes is a huge part in all of this, but I still thought they'd squeeze more wins out of this roster.

It’s not going to happen he’s not replacing assistant coaches. Defensively he’s still working with Riley’s recruits for the most part. I am as frustrated as anyone but have to agree this will not be fixed quickly. I just wish I would have enjoyed the 80’s and 90’s more.
it takes years sometimes decades

How long has that Kansas State HC been on the job?

Serious question.

He seems to be doing ok with the last coaches recruits?

Record aside, before the season started, the biggest questions on this team (mentioned by many sports outlets) was linebacker depth, offensive line and who was going to replace Morgan. Fast forward to now and our biggest weaknesses are linebacker, offensive line and nobody has stepped in to Morgan’s shoes. People seem shocked that these positions have regressed even though that was to be expected.

How long has that Kansas State HC been on the job?

Serious question.

He seems to be doing ok with the last coaches recruits?

I don't think it's a fair comparison, but the point is valid. A new staff CAN be successful in year one, but it's not always just the staff, schemes, etc. that make that happen.

I don't think it's a fair comparison, but the point is valid. A new staff CAN be successful in year one, but it's not always just the staff, schemes, etc. that make that happen.

there are big switching costs when changing coaches. Those switching costs go up when switching schemes/styles and can be worse if S&C and development are very different as well.

We've pretty much had the worst of all worlds -- Power I formation with option to West Coast Offense, to sort of west coast offense for a year and then to spread, to pro style offense, and now back to spread.

The defense has toggled back and forth a few times as well with different DC's and styles.

Even if every assistant Frost has is the wrong guy for the job, the worst thing we can do is to change directions yet again.

Record aside, before the season started, the biggest questions on this team (mentioned by many sports outlets) was linebacker depth, offensive line and who was going to replace Morgan. Fast forward to now and our biggest weaknesses are linebacker, offensive line and nobody has stepped in to Morgan’s shoes. People seem shocked that these positions have regressed even though that was to be expected.

This is accurate, and the thing none of us anticipated is that Martinez would regress this year.

Speilman stepped into morgan's shoes. Problem is, no one stepped into JD's role. He's alone out there. We thought the TE's would be playing better too and they are just as inconsistent. Gonna be a couple more years. We are still young. I cant wait to see what the redshirt freshman who sat out most of this year can do next year after another year of S&C. Hopefully we can get another solid class for recruiting as well. At the end of the day, there will be a point where the drop off between experience/bad culture and freshman/inexperience/good culture guys is slim to none and you'll see more effort. Once the effort is there, the consistency will start to build.

and for the comments regarding riley recruits. Its very much still in effect. Riley was only successful with Bo's guys. Bo was still a 9 win coach but couldn't get over the hump. Bo's last recruiting class has graduated. Riley's recruits are still in the program. Scott would have easily been able to drive this ship faster had he succeeded Bo. And most of the skill players riley recruited quit and didn't leave much left. So many people are giving SF grief and he's only had 1 mashup class and 1 full recruiting cycle.

This is accurate, and the thing none of us anticipated is that Martinez would regress this year.
Just why in the world would anyone accept a regression in play of the QB? This is on the coaches no one else. We have seen improvement from Vedral and McCaffrey but accept regression from Martinez. Why continue to tolerate it? His crappy first half play in game after game has contributed to our crappy defense in the second half of game after game

Hey, we were 4-8 last year. Maybe we get to 5-7 this year. Next year it's 7-5. Then 8-4. Then Frost's recruits are mature and in 2022 we start to compete for division titles.

Can't see it happening before then.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back