• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Blackshirt for Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train

Recruit
2 Year Member
Monte Kiffen the legend dropped his name to Frank Solich a decade ago. Frank reeled him in. He quickly turned around a floundering defense. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. It's been a roller coaster ride for the program. Frank is gone but Pelini is still around.

Pelini has been all about pass defense. It was the main weapon in the Big 12 and his defense indeed slowed down the fast break passing games in the league. Now can we see if he knows anything about stopping the run. That traditional weapon of choice for the league that invented three yards and a cloud of dust. The game has changed since then but Pelini has yet to stop a sound rushing attack like some old Husker defenses of yesterday.

Osborne always said that the game was all about being there at the end. Being relevant in the forth quarter. Leaning on the foe every play and being deep enough and conditioned enough to take it all away when they are bone tired and sucking air. This will be a battle of attrition and will. Many times it has been the Huskers who gave in when things went bad for them. It's time to remember who we were. Who we are. Things will go bad Saturday at some point. This game will be about punching back. About being there at the end.

Bo's only good rush defense was with Suh and Crick. I want to see him bring in a defense that can whip a rushing attack. Their new quarterback will lean hard on the rushing game and use the occasional play action to keep the defense on it's heels. I want to see if Bo is everything Kiffen said he was way back. not just a two-gap pass oriented defensive coach. I want Bo to earn his blackshirt this week. Back in Black. He has been wearing that grey sweatshirt and sometimes the red polo. He needs to earn his blackshirt this week. Stop the run first and make them pass when they don't want to.

The blackshirt is one of those traditions BO has a hard time embracing

The blackshirt is one of those traditions BO has a hard time embracing

I think Bo embraces the Blackshirt tradition fine. It's a few fans that have a hard time embracing his timing, that's all. ;) :Biggrin:

Mornin' Pops!! :)

Last edited:

Don't know why all the Bo Bashing. He just want the defense to 'earn' their Blackshirts before awarding them. All Train would like to see is Bo earn his!

I think Bo embraces the Blackshirt tradition fine. It's a few fans that have a hard time embracing his timing, that's all. ;) :Biggrin:

Mornin' Pops!! :)
No he doesn't.

Bo believes in open competition ... every minute of every day. Veterans, freshmen, walk-ons, 5th year scholarship atheltes are all the same to him.

A Blackshirt indicates higher status over another. It indicates first on the depth chart. It segregates.

A Blackshirt is diametrically opposite of everything BP believes in.

It's an opinion. Try it sometime. Bo's the coach. He does what he wants. I don't have to like it to be a fan. I'll still be a fan when Bo is gone.

I thought my snarky comment implied my opinion pretty plainly. Traditions change all the time. Penn state has names on their jersey's. Michigan have change how they hand out the #1 jersey. We are in the Big 10. We did not do away with the blackshirt tradition, Bo is just doing it his way. It's cool to say you don't agree with it, but kind of childish to stomp around and say he has trashed it or abandoned it.

No he doesn't.

Bo believes in open competition ... every minute of every day. Veterans, freshmen, walk-ons, 5th year scholarship atheltes are all the same to him.

A Blackshirt indicates higher status over another. It indicates first on the depth chart. It segregates.

A Blackshirt is diametrically opposite of everything BP believes in.

That's not bad, WC. I never thought of it like that. But taking your input I think the blackshirt is just what you said in the first para. To get to be a starter you have to do those things and being named the starter is signified to all by the black shirt. And you have to earn it everyday and be graded.

Some of the coaches have said they don't have strict depth chart; not 11 first, then 11 second then 11 third and so on. They plug in folks who might be better for that situation. To me the blackshirt can work with that system too. Just give out more than the 11 to signify that.

To me the tradition was once you started you got the blackshirt.

again it's Bo's to do with what he wants but, to me, it is not the same tradition.

That's not bad, WC. I never thought of it like that. But taking your input I think the blackshirt is just what you said in the first para. To get to be a starter you have to do those things and being named the starter is signified to all by the black shirt. And you have to earn it everyday and be graded.

Some of the coaches have said they don't have strict depth chart; not 11 first, then 11 second then 11 third and so on. They plug in folks who might be better for that situation. To me the blackshirt can work with that system too. Just give out more than the 11 to signify that.

To me the tradition was once you started you got the blackshirt.

again it's Bo's to do with what he wants but, to me, it is not the same tradition.
I agree it can be managed many different ways ... BP chooses to avoid handing out blackshirts because of a variety of reasons. For the same reason getting a depth chart out of him is easier than a root canal.

In today's environment where you have a 3 or 4 man rotation at DT, you have a nickel and dime defensive package with different personnel, one game you may start 4 LBs and the next 2 ... there is so much dynamics that giving out 11 is almost impractical ... giving out 15 or 16 diminishes the message.

I disagree with this thinking and would do it differently than he does if I were head coach ... but he's the coach.

I agree it can be managed many different ways ... BP chooses to avoid handing out blackshirts because of a variety of reasons. For the same reason getting a depth chart out of him is easier than a root canal.

In today's environment where you have a 3 or 4 man rotation at DT, you have a nickel and dime defensive package with different personnel, one game you may start 4 LBs and the next 2 ... there is so much dynamics that giving out 11 is almost impractical ... giving out 15 or 16 diminishes the message.

I disagree with this thinking and would do it differently than he does if I were head coach ... but he's the coach.

and that's the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back