• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Billy Callahan vs. Bo Pelini Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone bringing up how sweet of a recruiter Callahan was made me go back and look at their classes and how they ranked on "average star ranking". Here is the stats from 2012 - 2004 by rank and coach on Rivals....

1st - 2011 3.53 (Pelini)
2nd - 2012 3.35 (Pelini)
3rd - 2007 3.33 (Callahan)
4th - 2005 3.33 (Callahan)
5th - 2006 3.27 (Callahan)
6th - 2009 3.25 (Pelini)
7th - 2010 3.24 (Pelini)
8th - 2008 2.96 (Pelini Transition)
9th - 2004 2.55 (Callahan Transition)

Seems to me Bo is starting to figure out exactly how this recruiting game works as a head coach. I think Callahan was getting a little too much credit for his recruiting, especially looking at the numbers and how much help he was getting from the insiders because he played the game....

Everyone bringing up how sweet of a recruiter Callahan was made me go back and look at their classes and how they ranked on "average star ranking". Here is the stats from 2012 - 2004 by rank and coach on Rivals....

1st - 2011 3.53 (Pelini)
2nd - 2012 3.35 (Pelini)
3rd - 2007 3.33 (Callahan)
4th - 2005 3.33 (Callahan)
5th - 2006 3.27 (Callahan)
6th - 2009 3.25 (Pelini)
7th - 2010 3.24 (Pelini)
8th - 2008 2.96 (Pelini Transition)
9th - 2004 2.55 (Callahan Transition)

Seems to me Bo is starting to figure out exactly how this recruiting game works as a head coach. I think Callahan was getting a little too much credit for his recruiting, especially looking at the numbers and how much help he was getting from the insiders because he played the game....

Good information. Always good to look at the data and not just deal with perceptions.

We had to give Cally credit for something. :stickouttongue:

It would seem that rivals would agree that Bo is recruiting as good if not better than Callahan. I sense an upward trend not only in recruiting but wins and losses. :thumbsup:

I agree, another question I have is with the bigger class, you can afford to take a few more "chances" (as all recruits are chances). Sometimes that's a "4 or 5 star" that has grade issues, or sometimes that's a "2 star" that you truly believe in. Wonder how that may sway the rankings.

But in the end, it's not like it matters. Production on the field. And I think Bo has proved he can get production from his players.

In fairness, I think in 2005 & 2006 you had 20 JUCO recruits so that would skewer the star ranking somewhat because its a totally different ball game how they rate JUCO kids....on the otherhand the fact we signed 20 JUCO recruits over a two season period caused Bo some real headaches when he took over....

With that being said, Pelini is the superior head coach and its has shown on the field...

Oh and good stuff ***...as always...:)

Last edited:
I like Bo as much as the next guy but what does Michigan have that we don’t? Why can Hoke walk in year 1 from San Diego and start pulling in talent? Why can Stanford who has as big of an uphill battle as anyone continue to lure top kids? If we continue to get average classes we are going to continue to get average results. We have one difference maker on this team, Rex, other than that we have a bunch of nice players. 5 star players do not equal success (See Texas) but they do give you a pretty good shot most years (See SEC). We all want the same thing, 14 W's.

GBR

I like Bo as much as the next guy but what does Michigan have that we don’t? Why can Hoke walk in year 1 from San Diego and start pulling in talent? Why can Stanford who has as big of an uphill battle as anyone continue to lure top kids? If we continue to get average classes we are going to continue to get average results. We have one difference maker on this team, Rex, other than that we have a bunch of nice players. 5 star players do not equal success (See Texas) but they do give you a pretty good shot most years (See SEC). We all want the same thing, 14 W's.

GBR

Already has been discussed but to reiterate they have Michigan to recruit from and border Ohio.

We have Nebraska and border Iowa.

Everything else is equal besides how many 4 stars are in close proximity to Nebraska v. Michigan's campus. 10 "4 stars" a year have Nebraska on their TV every Saturday. 50 "4 stars" every year have Michigan or Ohio State on their TV every Saturday.

Star ranking is one subjective and complete b.s. measure, but even that stacks up well. Hard to argue that there is really any difference from a 3.5 to a 3.25 "star" class, IMO.

I would maintain that recruiting at NU has pretty much been consistent and pretty much within the same range. May go up a bit, may go down a bit, but it's always about the same regardless of who the coach is or what decade it is.

One thing that Pelini has done that Callahan couldn't was prioritize and backfill positions. Callahan was shotgunning offers and taking anyone who had 4* and said yes regardless of eligibility or position. He would have had something like 12 DE's on scholarship in 2007 if that class had been signed. Bo had some issues restocking the LB cupboard until the past season, and we've had a few positions where we've seen some holes, but you are always going to have somewhere you wish you had gotten an extra player or two (TE right now) the previous year.

Look at the talent in the state of Michigan and neighboring Ohio and Illinois that Michigan has always pulled from....that is what they have....tell me how much talent is within 500 miles of Nebraska? Stanford has peaks and valleys in recruiting and winning so that is a poor example....

Average classes?? What makes you say that? Using your defintion almost every class Coach Osborne has was average or below average....

FWIW Hoke was a former assitant coach at Michigan too so he was not unfamiliar with the school or recruiting at Michigan....

Only one difference maker? Are you serious?

Go read what Phill Steele has to say about Nebraska....headed in the right direction and about to enter the upper echelon again....

GBR

Last edited:
Star ranking is one subjective and complete b.s. measure, but even that stacks up well. Hard to argue that there is really any difference from a 3.5 to a 3.25 "star" class, IMO.

I would maintain that recruiting at NU has pretty much been consistent and pretty much within the same range. May go up a bit, may go down a bit, but it's always about the same regardless of who the coach is or what decade it is.

One thing that Pelini has done that Callahan couldn't was prioritize and backfill positions. Callahan was shotgunning offers and taking anyone who had 4* and said yes regardless of eligibility or position. He would have had something like 12 DE's on scholarship in 2007 if that class had been signed. Bo had some issues restocking the LB cupboard until the past season, and we've had a few positions where we've seen some holes, but you are always going to have somewhere you wish you had gotten an extra player or two (TE right now) the previous year.

I agree completely with what you are saying. You can't really measure star ranking on how good a recruit is. But, I do think this shows that all the love Callahan gets for his recruiting greatness, Pelini should at least be in the same sentence. Callahan would take stars over a need any day and figure out a way to make it work. In regards to the LB situation, Pelini swung and missed on quite a few guys, couple that with the massive amounts of JUCOs that we took before BC left and we were in a world of hurt. Injuries, homesickness, funky cigarette expulsions, all added up to the bare cupboard that is being restocked as we speak.

Agree well said by both you and FLAS...:)

I agree completely with what you are saying. You can't really measure star ranking on how good a recruit is. But, I do think this shows that all the love Callahan gets for his recruiting greatness, Pelini should at least be in the same sentence. Callahan would take stars over a need any day and figure out a way to make it work. In regards to the LB situation, Pelini swung and missed on quite a few guys, couple that with the massive amounts of JUCOs that we took before BC left and we were in a world of hurt. Injuries, homesickness, funky cigarette expulsions, all added up to the bare cupboard that is being restocked as we speak.

Look at the talent in the state of Michigan and neighboring Ohio and Illinois that Michigan has always pulled from....that is what they have....tell me how much talent is within 500 miles of Nebraska? Stanford has peaks and valleys in recruiting and winning so that is a poor example....

Average classes?? What makes you say that? Using your defintion almost every class Coach Osborne has was average or below average....

FWIW Hoke was a former assitant coach at Michigan too so he was not unfamiliar with the school or recruiting at Michigan....

Only one difference maker? Are you serious?

Go read what Phill Steele has to say about Nebraska....headed in the right direction and about to enter the upper echelon again....

I mentioned in the last article that Tom always brought in a bunch of nice players with a few studs. Example would be Frazier, Phillips, Minter, and I just read an article that Mike Brown was one of the top recruits in his class. He brought in a bunch of hard working local kids and sprinkled in a number of elite recruits.

Hoke was a former assistant before returning to the school to coach, sounds a little bit like Bo except Hoke didn’t have a ring.

We have one pre season All-American caliber player. We have a number of nice players but they are not elite All-American caliber players.

If im not mistaken each and every year it is written that this is the year that we return to prominence, Still Waiting…

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back