• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Big Red Report is reporting Huskers are the favorite for JUCO DT Kyle Peko

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I've been trying to convey to all the sunshine pumpers on the main board. Between losing 8 average to above average seniors on defense, and our d-line depth thin to non-existant and loaded with more average players, next years D is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree. The UCLA game in Lincoln has the makings of sheer ugliness...

I love how stating facts now is spun into a flame: Nebraska gave up 63 points to one team, 70 to another, and 650 yards to a rookie coach, with a freshman qb, and 3 freshman o-lineman, and everyone acts like its no big deal.

Lets face it, those numbers are Cosgrove-esque, no other way to spin it, or flame it, or state it.

THIS:

Everyone knows what happened and no one likes it, some are just better equipped to look at the big picture and respond rationally.

NOBODY is acting like the losses this year are "no big deal".

In your chronic application of negativity to all things Husker (I've noticed it extends to the entirety of Husker athletics, making it difficult to take you seriously), you neglect to account for four contributors next year that have been in the program for a year (Curry, Valentine, Peat, and McMullen) and could have greatly assisted the defensive battery this year. You also fail to acknowledge the athleticism that will be added to the LB core next year (Brown, Rose, Afalava, and Anderson) -- pretty critical since that was the position that was most exposed in the losses for not being athletic enough to fulfill their assignments. Add in the fact that the secondary is already sound and things will only improve over the course of next season.

Since you will probably just shift your negativity to the relative green-ness of the replacements I will simply state that physical athleticism can erase a lot of mental mistakes. There will certainly be assignment busts -- maybe enough of them to lose to UCLA -- but the pound-for-pound upgrades at each position will prevent the kind of game-long domination that we witnessed in Pasadena and Indianapolis.

Some people, by their very nature, will always be negative. I get that. But if we can discuss the dynamics in their entirety it will at least be constructive pessimism. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Yep, I understand the process, lots can happen before signing day. Was looking at it as more of a big picture view in that if we don't end up with some good dlineman I will be disappointed, as I think it's the most glaring need moving forward. As you pointed out, less worried about the oline, meant with Knevel that it was a step in the right direction to finishing the class as a whole.

But the point of my post was that I don't see why they would turn away Peko even with anothe silent commit in Hooks or what not

We did not turn away Peko. Peko had us in his top 5, but I would say we were closer to 5 than 1 almost the entire way. He had been a Mich St. lean almost the entire process and committed to Oregon St. after his visit there this weekend. From his top 5, he cut it down to a top 4 last week and we were the team cut. From the beginning he was probably the least likely Juco DT we had a chance with.

We did not turn away Peko. Peko had us in his top 5, but I would say we were closer to 5 than 1 almost the entire way. He had been a Mich St. lean almost the entire process and committed to Oregon St. after his visit there this weekend. From his top 5, he cut it down to a top 4 last week and we were the team cut. From the beginning he was probably the least likely Juco DT we had a chance with.

Yep. He cut us a few days ago.

I can see Husker fans trying to angle this as good news. Sure Nebraska may still get Russell, but they had room for more than one JUCO DT in this class. I dont think Peko choosing the Beavers means anything in terms of Russell's decision. IMPO had Peko wanted to come to Nebraska....they would have found room for him too.

I still see a glaring need at DT for Nebraska. DT depth has been a concern for at least two years for Nebraska. Thad Randle, Kevin Williams and Todd Peat have been injury-prone their entire careers...Jay Guy and Tobi Okuyemi are scholarship guys who have been complete non-factors...Chase Rome has been a C+ caliber player and he is the only "proven" commodity on the roster. Vincent Valentine and Aaron Curry look promising, but they are still unknowns. There were a lot of people excited about the RS Frosh years that Peat and Wiliams were supposed to have and that didnt work out like "planned".

I think there is some potential here for sure, but I would hesitate to bank on it - learning from the 2011 and 2012 seasons where Nebraska was 2 or 3 deep at DT for most of the 2nd half of the seasons.

This is spot on.

Swinging and missing on these JUCO DTs is a big hit against this class. I like the players we have committed but we have some gaping holes that need to be filled and we just missed on them.

Yep, that was my point.

OOOOOO. Ok, I just misread your post! My bad, I thought you were saying something else

Yeah, you should have heard it before I said it :Biggrin: I'm not always the best at making the transition from my head to my fingers.

Earlier in the thread there was some speculation that him going to OSU was possibly and indication that we have a commit there already and may not have room. My thought is there is no way we turn away any of these DT recruits with the depth issues we have.

Last edited:
Yeah and Kevel is a project who does not weigh 295 lbs...we get it you don't like Bo, Martinez or anything to do with this program so you spend post/thread after post/thread flaming on them....

Peko was never a Plan B......he was in a group of 5 DTs we targeted...

FWIW we have thus far put together a really good class this year....

Desperation Mode....if you say so....could not be further from the truth....

Wrong. You know what I don't like? Getting our rear ends handed to us 3 times per year. Maybe you are seeing something I'm not, but I'm seeing a team flat out give up in games. I'm seeing a team at times which is poorly coached. I'm seeing a team with a qb who is a big, or bigger liability, than asset. I'm seeing a group of coaches that have shown little development of talent in certainl positions.

I said Knevel is a project. You disagreed. I provided a link with several different people saying he's "raw" and "doesn't know what he's doing", yet you still insist that I'm wrong?

Wrong. You know what I don't like? Getting our rear ends handed to us 3 times per year. Maybe you are seeing something I'm not, but I'm seeing a team flat out give up in games. I'm seeing a team at times which is poorly coached. I'm seeing a team with a qb who is a big, or bigger liability, than asset. I'm seeing a group of coaches that have shown little development of talent in certainl positions.

I said Knevel is a project. You disagreed. I provided a link with several different people saying he's "raw" and "doesn't know what he's doing", yet you still insist that I'm wrong?

tumblr_lwupawnyWn1r7ms4po1_250.jpg

You must be watching a different team, because the one I follow had five come-from-behind wins this season.

THIS:

NOBODY is acting like the losses this year are "no big deal".

In your chronic application of negativity to all things Husker (I've noticed it extends to the entirety of Husker athletics, making it difficult to take you seriously), you neglect to account for four contributors next year that have been in the program for a year (Curry, Valentine, Peat, and McMullen) and could have greatly assisted the defensive battery this year. You also fail to acknowledge the athleticism that will be added to the LB core next year (Brown, Rose, Afalava, and Anderson) -- pretty critical since that was the position that was most exposed in the losses for not being athletic enough to fulfill their assignments. Add in the fact that the secondary is already sound and things will only improve over the course of next season.

Since you will probably just shift your negativity to the relative green-ness of the replacements I will simply state that physical athleticism can erase a lot of mental mistakes. There will certainly be assignment busts -- maybe enough of them to lose to UCLA -- but the pound-for-pound upgrades at each position will prevent the kind of game-long domination that we witnessed in Pasadena and Indianapolis.

Some people, by their very nature, will always be negative. I get that. But if we can discuss the dynamics in their entirety it will at least be constructive pessimism. :thumbsup:

I agree with you post in general. But show me where relatively inexperienced players have came in a immediately played under Pelini? I can point out that younger players not playing seems to be the rule, not the exception under Bo. I want him to succeed, but after a while some of this crap just weighs on me. We replace 8 seniors next year on D, not one or two, but 8. And I'm supposed to be optimistic because why?

if we end up with no interior defensive line prospects from this there is really only one way to look at it and thats that we failed...its great we got the guys that we did but our biggest weakness on defense is getting bigger each time we are spurned by the new flavor of the week

No one said he would be a finished product coming in. You stated he was a project more to the meaning, he wasn't the weight those who actually evaluated him say he is. You stated that in no way would he be effective on the field the first two years on campus......All based off of a picture of him signing autographes for elementary kids.

As far as the link....I'll have to go back to the thread because I don't remember you providing a link suggesting anything of the sort.

I agree with you post in general. But show me where relatively inexperienced players have came in a immediately played under Pelini? I can point out that younger players not playing seems to be the rule, not the exception under Bo. I want him to succeed, but after a while some of this crap just weighs on me. We replace 8 seniors next year on D, not one or two, but 8. And I'm supposed to be optimistic because why?

I'm sure you are going to be more specific, but here you go.

B. Steinkuhler/A.Dennard/T. Martinez/R.Burkhead/C.Green/J.Turner/L.David/E.Martin/D.Stafford/Andrew Green/B. Kinnie/K. Bell/Q. Eunuwa/A. Rodriguez/C.Evans/SJB/Yoshi/J.Crick/A.Abdullah/J.Carter/Z.Anderson/I.Cross.......

These are some of the guys whom were "inexperienced" (my definition of that is first year players or underclassmen 'red shirt freshman or true freshman') players who Bo put in the game for extensive time. Some of these kids were taken out due to injury or their play/practice habits moved them down the depth, but it shows that his "rule" you claim Bo to have is further from the truth than you'll admit.

I'm sure you are going to be more specific, but here you go.

B. Steinkuhler/A.Dennard/T. Martinez/R.Burkhead/C.Green/J.Turner/L.David/E.Martin/D.Stafford/Andrew Green/B. Kinnie/K. Bell/Q. Eunuwa/A. Rodriguez/C.Evans/SJB/Yoshi/J.Crick/A.Abdullah/J.Carter/Z.Anderson/I.Cross.......

These are some of the guys whom were "inexperienced" (my definition of that is first year players or underclassmen 'red shirt freshman or true freshman') players who Bo put in the game for extensive time. Some of these kids were taken out due to injury or their play/practice habits moved them down the depth, but it shows that his "rule" you claim Bo to have is further from the truth than you'll admit.

I think you can put A. Moss in that group as well, before he got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back