• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Big Red Report is reporting Huskers are the favorite for JUCO DT Kyle Peko

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can see Husker fans trying to angle this as good news. Sure Nebraska may still get Russell, but they had room for more than one JUCO DT in this class. I dont think Peko choosing the Beavers means anything in terms of Russell's decision. IMPO had Peko wanted to come to Nebraska....they would have found room for him too.

I still see a glaring need at DT for Nebraska. DT depth has been a concern for at least two years for Nebraska. Thad Randle, Kevin Williams and Todd Peat have been injury-prone their entire careers...Jay Guy and Tobi Okuyemi are scholarship guys who have been complete non-factors...Chase Rome has been a C+ caliber player and he is the only "proven" commodity on the roster. Vincent Valentine and Aaron Curry look promising, but they are still unknowns. There were a lot of people excited about the RS Frosh years that Peat and Wiliams were supposed to have and that didnt work out like "planned".

I think there is some potential here for sure, but I would hesitate to bank on it - learning from the 2011 and 2012 seasons where Nebraska was 2 or 3 deep at DT for most of the 2nd half of the seasons.

This is what I've been trying to convey to all the sunshine pumpers on the main board. Between losing 8 average to above average seniors on defense, and our d-line depth thin to non-existant and loaded with more average players, next years D is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree. The UCLA game in Lincoln has the makings of sheer ugliness...

I can see Husker fans trying to angle this as good news. Sure Nebraska may still get Russell, but they had room for more than one JUCO DT in this class. I dont think Peko choosing the Beavers means anything in terms of Russell's decision. IMPO had Peko wanted to come to Nebraska....they would have found room for him too.

I still see a glaring need at DT for Nebraska. DT depth has been a concern for at least two years for Nebraska. Thad Randle, Kevin Williams and Todd Peat have been injury-prone their entire careers...Jay Guy and Tobi Okuyemi are scholarship guys who have been complete non-factors...Chase Rome has been a C+ caliber player and he is the only "proven" commodity on the roster. Vincent Valentine and Aaron Curry look promising, but they are still unknowns. There were a lot of people excited about the RS Frosh years that Peat and Wiliams were supposed to have and that didnt work out like "planned".

I think there is some potential here for sure, but I would hesitate to bank on it - learning from the 2011 and 2012 seasons where Nebraska was 2 or 3 deep at DT for most of the 2nd half of the seasons.

Boo.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Agree 100%, especially the part about why it is silly to put too much faith in Rome, Peat, and Williams.

I'm just glad you said it because if someone like Fromunda, blisker, GFOA, or I had, we'd have been flamed mercilessly for pursuing an anti-Bo agenda. There's a lot to love about the Huskers, but there's also some cause for heartburn as well.

Agree 100%, especially the part about why it is silly to put too much faith in Rome, Peat, and Williams.

I'm just glad you said it because if someone like Fromunda, blisker, GFOA, or I had, we'd have been flamed mercilessly for pursuing an anti-Bo agenda. There's a lot to love about the Huskers, but there's also some cause for heartburn as well.

I love how stating facts now is spun into a flame: Nebraska gave up 63 points to one team, 70 to another, and 650 yards to a rookie coach, with a freshman qb, and 3 freshman o-lineman, and everyone acts like its no big deal.

Lets face it, those numbers are Cosgrove-esque, no other way to spin it, or flame it, or state it.

I love how stating facts now is spun into a flame: Nebraska gave up 63 points to one team, 70 to another, and 650 yards to a rookie coach, with a freshman qb, and 3 freshman o-lineman, and everyone acts like its no big deal.

Lets face it, those numbers are Cosgrove-esque, no other way to spin it, or flame it, or state it.

Everyone knows what happened and no one likes it, some are just better equipped to look at the big picture and respond rationally.

While I hope Peko going to OSU had something to do with another guy already saying he was going to be here, i'm not so sure...

While I don't think we need 2 JUCO DTs, I don't think it could hurt. The coaches know what they have and get to see it in practice every day, but the bottom line is we are having to start a 255 pound DT against the SEC runner up in the bowl game. If that's where we are at with an injury to our starter, better bring in what you can, especially since they've been circling 2013 since the schedules came out.

I think Valentine and Curry are fighting for the spot next to Rome AS IT STANDS NOW. Peat and Randle could challenge as well, and you have Williams there. But quite honestly, with how injury-prone some of these guys are, i'll be surprised if they just get through all 15 spring practices.

Everyone knows what happened and no one likes it, some are just better equipped to look at the big picture and respond rationally.

And the big picture would be? To me it looks like we are in desparation mode for JUCO DT's, and plan A's aren't biting, and now plan B's (Peko) are choosing Oregon State.

i am not sure i want to see plan c or worse- if we dont get at least 1 JUCO we are in deep trouble next year! (if we only get 1 we had better hope VV nad Curry are the real deal and stay healthy- those 3 with Rome make 4 DT's- no faith in anyone else staying healthy or being good enough to play)

Yeah and Kevel is a project who does not weigh 295 lbs...we get it you don't like Bo, Martinez or anything to do with this program so you spend post/thread after post/thread flaming on them....

Peko was never a Plan B......he was in a group of 5 DTs we targeted...

FWIW we have thus far put together a really good class this year....

Desperation Mode....if you say so....could not be further from the truth....

And the big picture would be? To me it looks like we are in desparation mode for JUCO DT's, and plan A's aren't biting, and now plan B's (Peko) are choosing Oregon State.

No we are not...you nailed it no faith....

It would be nice to get a top JUCO DT for obvious reasons....but even then there is no guarantee with any player coming in....

i am not sure i want to see plan c or worse- if we dont get at least 1 JUCO we are in deep trouble next year! (if we only get 1 we had better hope VV nad Curry are the real deal and stay healthy- those 3 with Rome make 4 DT's- no faith in anyone else staying healthy or being good enough to play)

Last edited:

I can't understand why we would turn away a DT that we were in heavy on. This is a glaring need on this team, and despite the skill players I see coming in (I like a lot), I'm not gonna be too happy if we don't get a lot of quality on the lines (dline especially). Knevel was a step in the right direction and I hope that continues.

You forgot Samuleson and Hannon on the O-Line in this class...we have done very well in that respect...

Also Collins looks like a lock as a high school DT....

There is 45 or so days until signing day....let it play out....

I can't understand why we would turn away a DT that we were in heavy on. This is a glaring need on this team, and despite the skill players I see coming in (I like a lot), I'm not gonna be too happy if we don't get a lot of quality on the lines (dline especially). Knevel was a step in the right direction and I hope that continues.

Last edited:

You forgot Samuleson and Hannon on the O-Line in this class...we have done very well in that respect...

Also Collins looks like a lock as a high school DT....

There is 45 or so days until signing day....let it play out....

Yep, I understand the process, lots can happen before signing day. Was looking at it as more of a big picture view in that if we don't end up with some good dlineman I will be disappointed, as I think it's the most glaring need moving forward. As you pointed out, less worried about the oline, meant with Knevel that it was a step in the right direction to finishing the class as a whole.

But the point of my post was that I don't see why they would turn away Peko even with anothe silent commit in Hooks or what not

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back