• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big 12 votes to play

I get that you and many others are outraged at the handling of the virus in the USA. And you’re not wrong. It’s been a cluster freak from day one. But avoiding the politics of it all... what I fear we are seeing is people, possibly subconsciously taking that anger out on a bunch of 18 to 22 year old student athletes. I honestly think those socio-political factors played into the Big Ten’s decision to cancel. Obviously, nobody will be able to prove me wrong or right, but I think that from a sociological and psychological perspective, there’s something to it.
You could be right. I’m sure it was at least in the back of their minds. They should have just waited a bit. Damn. It’s 2020, gonna be a lot of winging it.

Never has been a handle on this virus. Countries that locked down and tried all sorts of things that were against protocol just a year ago (CDC has always admitted that once 1% of the population is infected, trace and track and lockdowns DON'T WORK) have all pretended that they had a handle on it.

The virus is moving along a slightly modified Hope-Simpson Influenza curve for how it moves through different temperate zones.

All of the hot spots that were the recent panic have peaked and are declining. The virus will move through the different regions the same way pretty much regardless of lockdowns or whatever theater people do.

Protect the really sick and weak and get back to normal with some reasonable precautions.

Pacific rim may be getting hit on a different schedule, but it's also possible they really just have more cross immunity from other corona viruses

Incorrect on what the CDC has "always admitted." This should be free for everyone. Hopefully this is okay to post. This guy is likely one of the main people saying that the kids should be able to play. Guess why?

Last edited:

We're in this mess because of misinformation and alternative agendas from those in positions of influence. It's so sad that many don't see THAT.
Can’t talk about that. I wanted some football with control. The jury is still out on how it all pans out. If it gets shut down, the BIG looks smart. If it makes it thru, with a national champion, the BIG will look like idiots. It’s really that simple. It’s like gambling, do I wanna pull this $30 spin one more time. It’s been Texasing hot, but damn. Lol.

Last edited:

Incorrect on what the CDC has "always admitted." This should be free for everyone. Hopefully this is okay to post. This guy is likely one of the main people saying that the kids should be able to play. Guess why?

as a prelude, you're wrong - the CDC and WHO and others have always recognized how ineffective lockdowns, and track and trace are after 1% of a population are infected (go look it up). While the article was written in May so can be somewhat excused for not knowing things (or not recognizing things that were becoming apparent), the virus had been around and infecting people long before we realized it. NY, as an example likely had their peak infections prior to their lockdowns (if you backdate from other peaks)

here's one compilation of a lot of the research:

Additionally, you're (at least the article is)_ claiming we've done worse than the rest of the world. That's is simply not true. The data doesn't support that, even with us counting more generously than everyone except Sweden for our Covid death counts. Look at the European countries and compare their death per capita to ours. We are doing quite well, and we'd be among the best if NY and NJ hadn't screwed everything up so badly.

We are testing more than any other big country in the world on a per capita basis. Of course, that's being used to feed the panic, because sensible countries (like Japan) specifically aren't treating asymptomatic as "cases". It's interesting that now Europe is having "second waves" that are also driven more of less all by testing.

It would be interesting if Khan were actually looking closer at the spread of SARS and figuring out just how much immunity the Pacific Rim has from their SARS experiences. Of course, SARS and MERS were more lethal, but less transmissible (his article was written in May so that research wasn't as prevalent then, but it is the NYorker, so they likely ignored it)

THE REALITY of the virus is exactly what I've been saying, it's following a hope-simpson style rollout through the regions, it's burning out nearly everywhere in the US (particularly when you look at quickly dropping hospitalizations and people presenting at the ER due to covid symptoms). It's burning out after hitting a much, MUCH lower level of infection than people claimed was herd immunity as well.

In any case, the article is 3 MONTHS OLD...maybe they should revisit their claim and show where the US is stacking up in deaths per capita

as a prelude, you're wrong - the CDC and WHO and others have always recognized how ineffective lockdowns, and track and trace are after 1% of a population are infected (go look it up). While the article was written in May so can be somewhat excused for not knowing things (or not recognizing things that were becoming apparent), the virus had been around and infecting people long before we realized it. NY, as an example likely had their peak infections prior to their lockdowns (if you backdate from other peaks)

here's one compilation of a lot of the research:

Additionally, you're (at least the article is)_ claiming we've done worse than the rest of the world. That's is simply not true. The data doesn't support that, even with us counting more generously than everyone except Sweden for our Covid death counts. Look at the European countries and compare their death per capita to ours. We are doing quite well, and we'd be among the best if NY and NJ hadn't screwed everything up so badly.

We are testing more than any other big country in the world on a per capita basis. Of course, that's being used to feed the panic, because sensible countries (like Japan) specifically aren't treating asymptomatic as "cases". It's interesting that now Europe is having "second waves" that are also driven more of less all by testing.

It would be interesting if Khan were actually looking closer at the spread of SARS and figuring out just how much immunity the Pacific Rim has from their SARS experiences. Of course, SARS and MERS were more lethal, but less transmissible (his article was written in May so that research wasn't as prevalent then, but it is the NYorker, so they likely ignored it)

THE REALITY of the virus is exactly what I've been saying, it's following a hope-simpson style rollout through the regions, it's burning out nearly everywhere in the US (particularly when you look at quickly dropping hospitalizations and people presenting at the ER due to covid symptoms). It's burning out after hitting a much, MUCH lower level of infection than people claimed was herd immunity as well.

In any case, the article is 3 MONTHS OLD...maybe they should revisit their claim and show where the US is stacking up in deaths per capita

So, it stopped SARS but wouldn't have stopped this if they'd have done the same thing here when this started? Got it. Makes perfect sense.
I'm changing what I had previously written in this post because I shouldn't have stated you're wrong as fact.
Arguing on the internet over such hot button issues is something I used to enjoy doing, but I don't have energy for it, nor the inclination.
We agree to disagree and I will take what someone who has 1st hand experience with these epidemics, pandemics and illnesses says over most others.
Take care, and GBR!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back