• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big 10 teams in the dance

minnesota gets crushed by purdue today. On the surface this simply isn't a team that deserves a bid. Under the surface is the fact that the at large pool may not be all that impressive.

More and more I believe the rpi is a joke. The only reason minn's rpi is so high is that their schedule is ranked 1 or 2. There simply isn't enought weight put on actually winning games.

minnesota gets crushed by purdue today. On the surface this simply isn't a team that deserves a bid. Under the surface is the fact that the at large pool may not be all that impressive.

More and more I believe the rpi is a joke. The only reason minn's rpi is so high is that their schedule is ranked 1 or 2. There simply isn't enought weight put on actually winning games.

It's not about whether a team DESERVES a bid.. It's about it's potential. And as much as I hate to admit it, Minnesota proved that they can run with anyone in the country IF they can succeed in pulling heads out of rears and play the damn game. And based on that fact alone, they will get a bid.

It's not about whether a team DESERVES a bid.. It's about it's potential. And as much as I hate to admit it, Minnesota proved that they can run with anyone in the country IF they can succeed in pulling heads out of rears and play the damn game. And based on that fact alone, they will get a bid.

I couldn't disagree more.

If it was about potential then Creighton would get a 4 seed because they are officially done with their bad stretch. If it was about potential Kentucky would be a lock and not one of those "last 4 in" teams.

You get in and get seeded based on what you've done to that point. Not what you COULD do.

The fact is that Minn. is in. And it's not even a question. Based on the fact that they have to fill 36 spots I suppose they are one of the 36 best available. At this point they are more of a poster child for the RPI being a joke more than undeserving of an NCAA bid.

I couldn't disagree more.

If it was about potential then Creighton would get a 4 seed because they are officially done with their bad stretch. If it was about potential Kentucky would be a lock and not one of those "last 4 in" teams.

You get in and get seeded based on what you've done to that point. Not what you COULD do.

The fact is that Minn. is in. And it's not even a question. Based on the fact that they have to fill 36 spots I suppose they are one of the 36 best available. At this point they are more of a poster child for the RPI being a joke more than undeserving of an NCAA bid.

And I know we're in the same camp (like many/most basketball fans) where we'd rather see a mid-major with a stellar record but no auto-bid get into the dance than some middle-of-the-pack team from a BCS conference with a conference record that isn't all that impressive but they just happened to play a tough schedule (and lost a ton of games in doing so).

Minnesota lost 6 of their last 9 games -- including a couple that won't be dancin'. Yes, they beat Indiana -- which just shows more times than not they don't play up to their potential. If I was on the selection committee, the Gophers would be heading for the NIT. Oh, and Tubby Smith is just a horrible coach.

And I know we're in the same camp (like many/most basketball fans) where we'd rather see a mid-major with a stellar record but no auto-bid get into the dance than some middle-of-the-pack team from a BCS conference with a conference record that isn't all that impressive but they just happened to play a tough schedule (and lost a ton of games in doing so).

Minnesota lost 6 of their last 9 games -- including a couple that won't be dancin'. Yes, they beat Indiana -- which just shows more times than not they don't play up to their potential. If I was on the selection committee, the Gophers would be heading for the NIT. Oh, and Tubby Smith is just a horrible coach.

Okay ... now 7 of the last 10 Minnesota has lost. No business being in the NCAA Tournament. None. The only reason they probably will be invited is simply because they play in the Big Ten and it overly (and wrongly) inflated their RPI.

Okay ... now 7 of the last 10 Minnesota has lost. No business being in the NCAA Tournament. None. The only reason they probably will be invited is simply because they play in the Big Ten and it overly (and wrongly) inflated their RPI.

Yeah. 20-12, 8-11. Losers of 7 of 10. Last 1/2 of the season they are 5-11.

Lost last 3. 1 of which to a bad team. 1 to a very mediocre team. And 1 to a mediocre+ team...borderline good but inconsistent.

But...compare to Lunardi's "first 4 out"

Boise. 4th place (9-7) in the mountain west. Which, according to realtimeRPI, is the #1 conference. So the 4th place team (with a winning record in conference and no "el foldo" down the stretch shouldn't get in over the failure that is Minnesota?

Middle Tennessee. RPI of 29. Won their conference. 29-5. 1 bad loss prior to the conf. tourney semis. Winners of 17 in a row prior to the last game.

Baylor. Outside of a recent win against KU they've had an entirely mediocre year. I have no issue with Minn beating them out.

Mississippi. 2nd place in SEC. 12-6 in conference. 23-8 overall. No real great wins. They did lose to 3 of the 4 bottom SEC teams. Coin toss with Minn IMO...edge IMO is to the team that wins 2/3 of their conference games though v. a team that is well under .500.

Minn is ONLY in because the Big 10 boosts their RPI significantly. 24...according to realtimerpi before today. Now, I don't know how much the committee uses RPI. I think they use it when it's convenient for them to justify "iffy" pics like Minn. A few years back Missouri St. got left out with an RPI in the low 20s...the best RPI ever left out.

So. Miss trying to knock someone out of the tourney...good double OT game going on.

Kept hearing about iowa being in yesterday...pfft. No chance. Shameful out of conference schedule and they won two significant Big 10 games this year. No way.

So. Miss should be scaring the hell out of minnesota. But unbelievably Lunardi still has them at a 9 seed. Ridiculous. If anything they should be on the 12 line and forced to play that "play in" round.

So. Miss trying to knock someone out of the tourney...good double OT game going on.

Kept hearing about iowa being in yesterday...pfft. No chance. Shameful out of conference schedule and they won two significant Big 10 games this year. No way.

So. Miss should be scaring the hell out of minnesota. But unbelievably Lunardi still has them at a 9 seed. Ridiculous. If anything they should be on the 12 line and forced to play that "play in" round.

I haven't checked ... he has Kentucky out, right?

I haven't checked ... he has Kentucky out, right?

He has kentucky out ("next 3 out") as of today.

He has minn down to a 10. Still not even close to being out.

He doesn't have iowa in his last 4 or next 3 out. Gottleib, who I generally respect, is still touting Iowa. I can't imagine why. I can only guess that it's because they were 10-10 in Big 10 games. But that really doesn't tell the story. They beat Illinois and Wisco. That's it for decent wins for the whole season. I wasn't listening closely when he was making his case so I can only guess it was big 10 record.

One thing I don't like is that the 12 seeds play in the "play in" game....those are at large teams. 16 seeds also "play in". I think the bottom 8 should play in those games. If you were deemed worthy of an at large I don't think you should be in that game.

I get what you guys are saying.. but the point is, Minnesota played a rough schedule. And that stuff matters to the selection committee. I saw that their SOS was ranked #4. And they still manage to pull an overall record of 20-12. Yup, they are sub-.500 in conference. In arguably the TOUGHEST conference in the nation. Not to mention the quality wins over MSU/WIS/IND/ILL. They are certainly on the decline when it comes to 'what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?' And they certainly didn't deserve a seed higher than a 12.

The Goph's RPI is at a 34 as of today. So yeah, they may use RPI to help select when it comes to bubble teams. I'm also certain they used the SOS and other factors just as much.

There was no question that the Gophers were going dancing in March. It was always just a matter of what seed they'd get.

I get what you guys are saying.. but the point is, Minnesota played a rough schedule. And that stuff matters to the selection committee. I saw that their SOS was ranked #4. And they still manage to pull an overall record of 20-12. Yup, they are sub-.500 in conference. In arguably the TOUGHEST conference in the nation. Not to mention the quality wins over MSU/WIS/IND/ILL. They are certainly on the decline when it comes to 'what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?' And they certainly didn't deserve a seed higher than a 12.

The Goph's RPI is at a 34 as of today. So yeah, they may use RPI to help select when it comes to bubble teams. I'm also certain they used the SOS and other factors just as much.

There was no question that the Gophers were going dancing in March. It was always just a matter of what seed they'd get.

at an 11 seed they didn't make it by much. They're lucky they got one of those big wins. As has been said on ESPN, the radio, etc....they have the ability to go deep. That's probably what's so disappointing about them flailing as much as they have. The SHOULD be better than they are.

at an 11 seed they didn't make it by much. They're lucky they got one of those big wins. As has been said on ESPN, the radio, etc....they have the ability to go deep. That's probably what's so disappointing about them flailing as much as they have. The SHOULD be better than they are.

We agree, big time. That is what's so frustrating.

Remember when Miles said he didn't want to be the first Big Ten team to play in the CBI?

If he accepts a bid, he can point to Purdue for the first to agree to it. They've just accepted their bid.

Remember when Miles said he didn't want to be the first Big Ten team to play in the CBI?

If he accepts a bid, he can point to Purdue for the first to agree to it. They've just accepted their bid.

CBI stands for Cash Buy-In. ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back