• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Beyond the 'bloodbath' comment:

Rike Miley

Recruit
2 Year Member
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_eaf19b12-c027-11e6-8d32-1f9780567702.html

“I was giving Iowa credit,” Banker said. “I was complimenting the opponent.”

But Banker said he wasn't drawing a comparison to Nebraska's practices. NU, Banker said, practices hard.

“We play in practice,” Banker said. “We don't have these tag-off, underwear practices. It wasn't until the last couple weeks — when we were pretty beat up — that we had to slow some things down a little bit, take some reps out of practice, but it was still good run fits and all that.”

“They're very physical up front. I mean, they're a running team,” Banker said. "They practice running the ball all the time.”

Nebraska ran the ball roughly three more times per game this season for roughly six more yards per game, but Banker said Iowa's style is different than NU's.

“I mean, they've got two backs in the backfield and two tight ends almost extensively. And if they don't have two backs, they definitely have two tight ends and one back. We saw 22 personnel, 12 personnel, 21 personnel. Very little 11 personnel. They're a running team. That's what they want to do.”

This is one of those things that it's difficult to assess from outside. And comments by the coaches don't necessarily mean too much. Gotta win. Then no one makes anything out of comments like this.

I think this Tennessee game is huge for this program, by the way. Losing would be bad news.

Last edited:
Losing...and getting destroyed would make for a very long winter for fans and coaches. Tennessee has some big time playmakers on both sides of the ball. They definitely have the talent edge and entering the game with a back up QB could be a real problem. I believe the Huskers will need to run the football and run it well if they expect to win this game. Two back sets with two tight ends might be needed to eat clock and keep their offense off the field.

This is one of those things that it's difficult to assess from outside. And comments by the coaches don't necessarily mean too much. Gotta win. Then no one makes anything out of comments like this.

I think this Tennessee game is huge for this program, by the way. Losing would be bad news.

I think this is one of those games where a loss would be more impactful than a win.

I guess I don't see why a loss would be so brutal when we consider we might be playing with a huge, injury related deficite at QB? If we were rolling and at full strength, a loss would be far harder to accept or understand. Winning when you aren't supposed to, and losing when you aren't supposed to is what tips a program one way or the other.

I guess I don't see why a loss would be so brutal when we consider we might be playing with a huge, injury related deficite at QB? If we were rolling and at full strength, a loss would be far harder to accept or understand. Winning when you aren't supposed to, and losing when you aren't supposed to is what tips a program one way or the other.

A loss here - QB or not QB - and it's hard to make a case that the program is moving in the right direction, imo. It just shoves the need for the coaches to show significant forward progress to next year, when they're going to be breaking in a new QB and quite a few other replacements.

Like it or not, a few things that have happened this year do show chinks in the coaches' armor. The size of the OSU loss, the lack of depth at OL, the lack of development of a serviceable backup QB, maybe even the decision not to get a replacement QB in here on transfer at the end of last year, the size of the Iowa loss, the defensive breakdowns against Iowa, the failure to try another QB in the second half at Iowa, the standstill in recruiting.

The team needs this win to cap it off as a decent tribute to Sam Foltz perhaps, and as a springboard for those players coming back. The coaches need it to show they've got the right stuff, and probably to help close some deals on the recruiting side.

True one could chalk recent events up to the QB situation, and last year to transition bad blood, and then next year to breaking in a new QB, and then 2018 to what will be a murderous schedule. But at some point the coaches need to show they can get the team to outperform things like that. Last year's finishing run had that feel. No time like the present to get it back.

Last edited:
A loss here - QB or not QB - and it's hard to make a case that the program is moving in the right direction, imo. It just shoves the need for the coaches to show significant forward progress to next year, when they're going to be breaking in a new QB and quite a few other replacements.

Like it or not, a few things that have happened this year do show chinks in the coaches' armor. The size of the OSU loss, the lack of depth at OL, the lack of development of a serviceable backup QB, maybe even the decision not to get a replacement QB in here on transfer at the end of last year, the size of the Iowa loss, the defensive breakdowns against Iowa, the failure to try another QB in the second half at Iowa, the standstill in recruiting.

The team needs this win to cap it off as a decent tribute to Sam Foltz perhaps, and as a springboard for those players coming back. The coaches need it to show they've got the right stuff, and probably to help close some deals on the recruiting side.

True one could chalk recent events up to the QB situation, and last year to transition bad blood, and then next year to breaking in a new QB, and then 2018 to what will be a murderous schedule. But at some point the coaches need to show they can get the team to outperform things like that. Last year's finishing run had that feel. No time like the present to get it back.

A loss will give the negative nellies ammunition to fire ALL off season. In that sense it is important to win this game.

But that's really the only reason it's important really. It's an exhibition game. Just like UCLA was. It's important to BE IN the bowl..the extra practice...the stigma. But the act of winning or losing this game doesn't mean NU is any better or worse than they are. It won't have any effect on wins and losses next year.

It's really a game between the different factions WITHIN the fan base. One side will use the result as a club to bludgeon the other.

I'm still trying to figure out how a pulled hammy sidelines you for 6 weeks.

A loss will give the negative nellies ammunition to fire ALL off season. In that sense it is important to win this game.

But that's really the only reason it's important really. It's an exhibition game. Just like UCLA was. It's important to BE IN the bowl..the extra practice...the stigma. But the act of winning or losing this game doesn't mean NU is any better or worse than they are. It won't have any effect on wins and losses next year.

It's really a game between the different factions WITHIN the fan base. One side will use the result as a club to bludgeon the other.

The fan base part is true enough. But perception is a pretty big feedback loop to reality as well. A win will help motivate the players to work hard and have confidence going in to next year as well as help close recruits.

Huge b/c they are a SEC school and bad b/c they are unranked? Not arguing just asking why you think it's huge and bad if we lose.

Last edited:

I'm still trying to figure out how a pulled hammy sidelines you for 6 weeks.
I pulled a hammy and it was messed up for nearly a year. It wasn't that I was incapable of doing anything, but all it took was a little something different, or a slightly more explosive drive with the legs and you'd feel that horrible tightness all over again. It's a crappy injury and can make just stepping up on the curb an adventure.

Agreed, and yet a butt whippin will definitely magnify everything you just outlined for sure.

All I can say is, if you don't win a "Championship" of any kind during any one season, then "ALL" the games are essentially exhibitions, why should this be different? It may be exhibitions in some of you guy's eyes, tell that to the Seniors, I'm more than willing to bet they'd tell you otherwise. GO BIG RED!!! BEAT TENNESSEE!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back