• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best WRs in the NFL

Turd Ferguson

There's always next year
5 Year Member
Someone made the comment in another thread about Tyreek Hill being a top 3-4 wr in the NFL, which got me wondering who people think truly are the best. For me Kupp and Adams are top 2, then after that is a tight group of guys like Hill, Deebo Samuel, D Hopkins, J Jefferson, DK Metcalf, S Diggs... who else?

Last edited:

Someone made the comment in another thread about Tyreek Hill being a top 3-4 wr in the NFL, which got me wondering who people think truly are the best. For me Kupp and Adams are top 2, then after that is a tight group of guys like Hill, Deebo Samuel, D Hopkins, J Jefferson, DK Metcalf, S Diggs... who else?

I'll say what I just wrote in the other thread ... the only WR that has been as consistently good for several years as Hill is Adams.

You would have never mentioned Kupp before this past season, but he's been in the NFL for five years. Hopkins is close to Hill over a span of 5 years, but he missed 7 games this past season and his numbers were nothing special as a result. Chase very well could be top 5, but he only has one year under his belt. Jefferson has two great seasons and is a worthy mention -- but let's see him do it a couple more years. Deebo has been in the league for three years, and his first two were mediocre with injuries -- he only just exploded this past season. Diggs has been around about as long as Hill -- but his numbers are not as good as Hill's over a 5-year span. Metcalf was 28th in receiving yards this past season.

Another upper-tier WR is Mike Evans. But his numbers still fall short of Tyreek Hill. About three years ago, you could have argued Antonio Brown as the best WR in the NFL, but he's been a mess since. About two years ago, you could have named Michael Thomas the best in the NFL -- but he's been either injured or disgruntled since.

Point being, you can find several receivers that have had a season or two on the level of Tyreek Hill, but not as consistently good for as long as Hill (and Adams). The only WR that has both more yards and more touchdowns than Hill over the past five years is Devante Adams. That's it.

Last edited:
Even with the injury I'd add Hopkins to the list with Adams and Hill. If you go off the last 5 years.

Right now, for the season just completed, I'd put Adams, Kupp, Samuel, Jefferson and Chase. Hill would probably be 6th.

Even with the injury I'd add Hopkins to the list with Adams and Hill. If you go off the last 5 years.

Right now, for the season just completed, I'd put Adams, Kupp, Samuel, Jefferson and Chase. Hill would probably be 6th.

I think that's very reasonable.

For the past five years, my rank: 1. Adams, 2. Hill, 3. Hopkins, 4. Diggs, 5. Evans

I just like to see a WR have more than 1-2 great seasons before ranking them top 5. Consistency over a longer period has value. It's not uncommon to see an NFL player have a great season or two then fall by the wayside.

For the past five years, my rank: 1. Adams, 2. Hill, 3. Hopkins, 4. Diggs, 5. Evans

I just like to see a WR have more than 1-2 great seasons before ranking them top 5. Consistency over a longer period has value. It's not uncommon to see an NFL player have a great season or two then fall by the wayside.
How about Keenan Allen? Currently #5 in yards last 5 years.

Also I think you can have a list of the 5 best this year or a top 5 active wr which I agree should look at the last 5 years or something. Then there's your top 5 all-time. Just depends on the conversation.

Last edited:

I like to think ask could the WR excel in the same way with a different team, or is his production scheme/QB based? I look at Hill and see blazing speed and quickness, but not elite hands or route running. If you put him on Tennessee you still have a good player, but he may look more like Philly era Deshaun Jackson. I similarly ding Deebo. With Shannahan getting him the ball out of the backfield he's a top 5 guy. If he was always split wide... I'm not so sure. Using that basis I go:

Top 5:

Adams -His chemistry with Rodgers is amazing, but D's know he's getting the ball, scheme for him to get the ball, and he still ends up wide open
Kupp -yes, the Rams force feed him, upping his numbers, but his ability to set up and lose defenders is amazing
J Jefferson -come on, he does it with Kurt Cousins!
S Diggs -come on, he did it with Kurt Cousins!
T Hill -despite what I said before, he's that quick, that fast, and that durable

The Next Guys: These guys could easily move up into the top 5

DK Metcalf - right now he just out physicals everyone. If he refines his game he'll be there.
Jamar Chase -One year in, but arrow is pointing up.
Hopkins - Injuries set him back. Now almost 30 year, will age and injuries start to catch up?
Deebo - Had injury issues the prior year, but easily the most physical WR in the game.

The Forgotten Guys: will never be top 5, the upside isn't there, but have had years of rock solid production

Mike Evans - All he does is get 1000 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Keenan Allen - All he does is catch 100 balls for 1000 yards
Brandon Cooks - The ultimate "just produces" guy. Six 1000 yard seasons on four different teams with five different QBs
Tyler Lockett - The ultimate #2 WR. Averaged almost 1100 yards and 9 TD per season for the last 5 years.

I imagine the other AFC West teams are celebrating this. I can't imagine the Chiefs are better in the short-term because of this -- but lots of draft picks to build for the future.

I got a buddy who is a season ticket holder that is pisssssssed

No doubt. There is currently no clear #1 WR for KC.

I'm guessing they'll draft a WR early now, but the odds of him being anywhere near Hill's level next season are basically none. The Chiefs really should work to develop a better run game, but I'm not sure they have a solid #1 RB either.

Hurts KC even more seeing the other teams in the AFC West improving in the offseason.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back