• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best Sports Trips Taken

The best sports trip I've taken hands down was the Fiesta Bowl after the '95 season. I can't even dream of matching that trip again. I've taken very few non-Husker trips, but I did go to:

• Kentucky Derby - It was fun to drink on the infield with lots of other people that were crazier than me. But, it was not much of a sporting event to watch from the infield.

• Wimbledon - I saw some doubles matches there and it was very, very cool.

2004 golf trip to Scotland. Played the Old Course and Carnoustie plus others.
1995 Masters with Club House passes for all 4 days
1997 Three away Husker games in a row. Colorado, Texas A&M, and Tennessee. wild weekends I'd better not discuss
1964 Cotton Bowl Great time for a college kid
1995 (1/2/96) vs Florida in Tempe followed soon after by the Super Bowl in the same city.
1997 NCAA Final Four in Indianapolis
1996 NU vs Texas in St Louis. Another weekend to remember but not discuss
1999 big 12 Chmpshp in San Antonio. fun at Dick's Last Resort after the game

and other trips, but you get the idea

A tie between the Miami Orange Bowl in 1995 and the Fiesta in 1996. Orange Bowl was terrific, except I was horribly ill the entire game with a 101 fever from accidentally taking in some ocean water earlier in the day. A Miami fan was sitting in front of me farting the whole game and it was just terrible.

Yankees vs. Royals in KC. Kaufmann Stadium is awesome place to watch a game. Saw Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte in their last seasons. Funny us Yankee fans outnumbered Royal fans at least 3 to 1 and it was season after Royals won world series.

1. The Masters 2017, Saturday and Sunday rounds. (Sistine Chapel of golf)

2. US Open 1990 at Medinah, final round (after attending White Sox game the last year of Comisky Park's existence)

3. 2016 Northwestern game in Evanston followed by Cubs-Cardinals at Wrigley

4. Red Sox games at Fenway (Sistine Chapel of baseball)

5. 1993: Fly to Cleveland, drive to Canton to tour Pro Football Hall of Fame. Back to Cleveland for Indians-White Sox at old Municipal Stadium. Drive to Detroit for two Tigers-Rangers games in Tiger Stadium. Actually got my wife to do this trip.

1. Tie between 3 trips I made to watch my son compete for Nebraska. One was when he won the Big Ten championship, the other two were at the national championship when he earned first team All-American honors, including a runner-up finish.

2. Super Bowl XXXII, 1998 San Diego, Denver Broncos 31 - Green Bay Packers 24. Simply unbelievable day/experience. Pre-game party with Marv Levy, Jim Plunkett and Mark Bavaro, then an incredible game.

3. World Series Game 3, 2016 Wrigley Field, Cleveland Indians 1 - Chicago Cubs 0. Not the outcome I wanted, but was still incredible to be at.

4. Michigan 35 - Notre Dame 31, 2011 at the Big House, First night game in Michigan history, Record 114,804 in attendance. Michigan trailed by 17 at one point in the 4th quarter before mounting an incredible comeback.

5. Tie between the Nebraska-Miami 2014 and Nebraska-Michigan State 2015 football games. The atmosphere for the Miami game was electric. The Michigan State game was special because it was the first Nebraska home game for my wife and daughters.

Edit: Forgot about #6 below

6. #1 Kentucky 73 - #5 North Carolina 72, 2011 at Rupp Arena. Awesome game, historic venue.

Last edited:

Great topic. Mine are in no particular order as well:

1) 2011 Masters on Sunday - Schwartzel birdied the final 4 holes including a 20ft putt on 18 to win it
2) 2007 Fiesta Bowl - Boise State vs Oklahoma - I was 12 rows up in the endzone where the hook-n-ladder, statue of liberty, and half back pass were.
3) 2016 NLCS when Chicago Cubs won their first Pennant in 108 years.
4) 2016 NCAA Basketball Tournament Northern Iowa vs A&M - A&M was down 12 with 44 seconds left and came back to win the game in overtime
5) 2011 Nebraska Ohio State football game - Nebraska comes back from 21pt second half deficit to beat OSU 34-27 in the first Big 10 game at Memorial Stadium
6) 2006 Nebraska Season Opener against Louisiana Tech when I proposed to my wife in the North Stadium
7) 2018 MNF in Lambeau when Aaron Rodgers brought back the pack against the 49ers on the final drive to win the game
Don't lie to me!

'95 Orange Bowl NCG. Miami. Driving back to the hotel in our convertible with the top down after the game, honking and waving to other Husker fans. The hotel bar was packed with Huskers and management kept it open until sunrise.

'79 K-State game, Manhattan. Went with a buddy who was a Red shirt and got us tickets. He didn't party but his buddies from back home who went with us certainly did. He was our designated driver. When we rolled out of the van we were driving in downtown Manhattan, it must have looked like a scene from a Cheech and Chong movie.

'95 Masters Augusta Saw Jack and Arnie playing a practice round together. Saw Tiger Woods as an amateur playing his first round there. Filled up on surprisingly cheap beer and those pimento-cheese sandwiches.

2000 Notre Dame Flew to Chicago as part of a tour. Bus to the game which NU won in overtime. Partied with ND fans after. Some of them were a bit surly. On the tour bus ride back to Chicago, the bus driver stopped at a liquor store and we passed the hat to buy beer. Went to Cubs game on Sunday and partied on Navy Pier afterwards. Missed our tour bus back to our suburban hotel so partied some more before taking an expensive cab ride back to our hotel.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back