• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Be honest...

what if the onside kick had worked?
I figured people would pose this question. But to be honest, I would think a coach that continuously loses close games would understand risk management at this point. No other coach in the Big 10 would have made that call given our recent history of losing close games and special teams blunders. The chances of it working were just too slim. It killed the momentum. It was just a horrible coaching move.

I’m not as concerned with that call as I am the overall ability for SF to field teams that maximize our talent. Had they kicked all the way it’s very possible they still score on us only it takes up two more minutes that we wouldn’t have had for the final drive.

Quite frankly, given all the problems with our defense, our offensive line and our running backs I’m wondering why so much discussion on a single call.

Low percentage gamble. If it had succeeded…..I would have thought “low percentage gamble, got lucky on that one.”

I’m not as concerned with that call as I am the overall ability for SF to field teams that maximize our talent. Had they kicked all the way it’s very possible they still score on us only it takes up two more minutes that we wouldn’t have had for the final drive.

Quite frankly, given all the problems with our defense, our offensive line and our running backs I’m wondering why so much discussion on a single call.
It was as if SF had to find a way to express himself in the game……and express himself he did.

But yes, there were multiple other problems. The onside kick is serving to focus attention away from the problems that you identified. The defense didn’t tackle well. The EDGE guys didn’t get to the QB. The OL didn’t get much push in the run game (I thought Grant played pretty well in spite of that). We lost the turnover battle. We didn’t get much in the return game. We gave up over 500 yards of total offense.

I only watched about 5 minutes of the second half and had to turn it off. Score, Score, onside kick for whatever reason, 3 and out, 3 and out. Missing wide open receivers, crap run game. All the same stuff from the SF era.

Honestly.... with the tremendous weight of Scott's future in coaching on the line I would have bet the farm there was no way possible he would pull a bone headed low percentage gamble with an 11 point lead. Color me stupid.
stupid-crayon.png

what if the onside kick had worked?
Then you got extremely lucky. That’s what it takes to pull that off. Like a 5% chance. Not worth the risk, unless your behind and need it. It was DUMB. I can’t even grasp the thinking. He said exactly what I said in the game thread. We saw some things we thought we could exploit. Lol, just not a wise, or smart call. Management again, proved costly.

Those are recovered 23% of the time.

With a two score lead and all of the momentum, there was no situational nor statistical reason it should have happened.

It was the colossal champion of dumbest play calls I have ever seen at Nebraska.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back