• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked BCS vs Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it was born from running moonshine.

I thought it was from that movie with Burt Reynolds, The Flying Nun, the country singer, the bloodhound and the one and only Jackie Gleason.

Last edited:

For most of us who have been against playoffs from the very beginning this question is like you asking if we'd like to have sex with our mom or our sister.

You playoff people can keep both of your playoff formats, thankyouverymuch. We didn't want the BCS to begin with, playoff people did. And we certainly don't want to reward the playoff idiots with more of what they screwed up the first time.

If NASCAR determined their champion through a system like the BCS...Dale Jr would have at least 12 championships. (Crowd favorite but NEVER comes through)
If MLB determined their champion through a system like the BCS...the Cardinals wouldn't have 11 championships. (NO ONE picked them!)
If the World Cup was determined through a system like the BCS...the USA would actually have a championship.
I say championships are earned on the field...not through Harris ratings, coaches polls, and subjective debate.
Why do you want all those other sports to be like CFB? Why do you hate uniqueness comrade?

I'm thinking this thread didnt go the way he had envisioned:Biggrin:

It never does. Playoff proponents tend to forget that the BCS is their fault..

So true. I liked things the way they were under the conference tie-in system. Typically, several of the marquee bowls had MNC implications. The BCS effectively reduced it to one game.

Time to put the pipe down and rethink this......

Ok I put the pipe down ...thought for a second yes just one.
I came to the conclusion.

NO PLAYOFFS EVER

+ infinity! Going to playoffs would kill the regular season, take the fun out of bowls, and destroy college football. I would not like college football as much as I do now.

So true. I liked things the way they were under the conference tie-in system. Typically, several of the marquee bowls had MNC implications. The BCS effectively reduced it to one game.

I agree. Time was that the major bowl game match-ups worked out as a de facto playoff system. In 1965, no. 3 NU would have won the MNC by defeating no.4 Alabama in the OB as both no.1 MSU and no.2 Arkansas were beaten earlier in the day. In '70 things worked out differently as eventual NC NU (no.3) beat no.6 LSU after both the #1 Sips and #2 tOSU had lost their bowl games. The "playoffs" were all done the same day, and invariably the top 8 teams were pitted against comparable rivals.

I agree. Time was that the major bowl game match-ups worked out as a de facto playoff system. In 1965, no. 3 NU would have won the MNC by defeating no.4 Alabama in the OB as both no.1 MSU and no.2 Arkansas were beaten earlier in the day. In '70 things worked out differently as eventual NC NU (no.3) beat no.6 LSU after both the #1 Sips and #2 tOSU had lost their bowl games. The "playoffs" were all done the same day, and invariably the top 8 teams were pitted against comparable rivals.

Isn't that the truth. It made for a compelling day of football, where fans could envision wild scenarios that would create an opening for their team....and those scenarios occurred quite often. It made every game must see TV. Too bad the vocal minority felt incomplete with a "mythical" national championship.

Last edited:
But somehow a playoff game would have people killing each other for tickets and just think, they would have keep killing until their team lost.

Yep. This is why the first rounds of the NCAA tournament games are always so well attended.

Oh wait...

There was only about 10 Bowl games back then, so only the top teams were playing and it meant something to get a bowl game. The number of games is so out of control now and you have a 6-7 team going to a game, what's the point other than you can make some people some money. You get your bowl CEO's pulling down over $500k in salary just for a game and they are out of that with a playoff.

The big problem with the BCS is it tries to pit a championship game before the bowls happen where we can really see how teams from different conferences match up against each other. I agree about the BCS making less interesting games, but I'm not so sure we can go back in time and apply those results to today.

It really was a de facto playoff when you think about it. In 1982, NU entered New Year's Day at #4. #2 Georgia and #3 Alabama both lost, opening the door for Nebraska to beat #1 Clemson and claim the MNC. I also had no problem with split titles. Both the AP and UPI/Coach's Polls were legit titles adding even more drama to the bowl season. As far as I'm concenred, they tried to fix what wasn't broken.

It really was a de facto playoff when you think about it. In 1982, NU entered New Year's Day at #4. #2 Georgia and #3 Alabama both lost, opening the door for Nebraska to beat #1 Clemson and claim the MNC. I also had no problem with split titles. Both the AP and UPI/Coach's Polls were legit titles adding even more drama to the bowl season. As far as I'm concenred, they tried to fix what wasn't broken.

That line says it all, "r"s and "n"s not withstanding. :Biggrin: Even worse, the "fix" now pits 2 teams who've already decided which one was better on a "given day." It's pathetic...and while I can't stand Saban and his crew, I hope the pink elephants win so that absolutely nothing will be resolved...except another :confused: "given day" mine's bigger argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back