• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bball discussion - my overview.....

Nicely done, but............ "if James Palmer doesn't do what he does last night, NU loses". OK, but that is something you can say about a lot of wins, no matter what team is playing. It goes with the territory of being an mvp for the game. You need heroes to be a successful, winning team. Just saying. :)

certainly you need heroes, and yes, every bball team needs guys who can score points. the difference is what sort of table is set in order for that player to succeed and get his points. Watch Villanova play. They aren't just doing a harlem globetrotter dribble handoff for the first 8 seconds to get the ball to "their guy" and then just letting him go 1 on 1. Nebraska is. MSU state has a player that is 10x better then anyone on NU's team, yet they don't just give him the ball and watch him do his thing. there is a purpose, and design to what they do and IZZO fits better players then NU has into a structured system. Sure NU is having success now, but its no coincidence that the only 2 successful seasons Miles has had in the 7 years he's been here didn't actually start producing wins til midway through the season, give or take. Miles run's a style that is very free flow, player dependent, and depends greatly on team chemistry. if guys don't like each other and don't want to share, then they don't really have to. play that way for Izzo and you ruin the system, and the system ain't gonna change for you. so you sit. thats not how it is with Miles.

I'm really not trying to whine about the fact NU is winning. I guess people jsut need to understand that the type of offense Miles runs is a high risk, high reward type philosophy. its great and super fun to watch when dudes are hitting on all cylinders. but its awful when its not. (Gardner Webb anyone?) there isn't a ton of middle ground. I would prefer a coach whose plan isn't so heavily dependent on the singular output of fantastic players. Thats why Miles makes me nervous. BUT, what he's doing CAN work. i think its harder to build a consistent winner that way, but nonetheless.... if he can keep momentum going, and continue to get Roby, Palmer type players, and get them to play unselfishly (TP was a great player but an awful teammate) then I'm all for it. when i see it done consistently for 2 + yrs, i will officially shut my trap about Miles.

I remember Tim Miles saying something about combining his motion offense with Michael Lewis's _____ (can't remember) sets this year. Also, Miles has used the 1-3-1 which he has said he didn't like to run before. So maybe Miles is growing as a coach. I'd be happy if he's not a finished product. I'm not being a sunshine pumper here, I readily acknowlege that Miles has serious offensive coaching deficiencies. I am saying that he's trying new things out to match the league and his players, and I appreciate that. If he can go .500 in league play without a candidate for league MVP, then I will be impressed that he's grown into a better coach.

certainly you need heroes, and yes, every bball team needs guys who can score points. the difference is what sort of table is set in order for that player to succeed and get his points. Watch Villanova play. They aren't just doing a harlem globetrotter dribble handoff for the first 8 seconds to get the ball to "their guy" and then just letting him go 1 on 1. Nebraska is. MSU state has a player that is 10x better then anyone on NU's team, yet they don't just give him the ball and watch him do his thing. there is a purpose, and design to what they do and IZZO fits better players then NU has into a structured system. Sure NU is having success now, but its no coincidence that the only 2 successful seasons Miles has had in the 7 years he's been here didn't actually start producing wins til midway through the season, give or take. Miles run's a style that is very free flow, player dependent, and depends greatly on team chemistry. if guys don't like each other and don't want to share, then they don't really have to. play that way for Izzo and you ruin the system, and the system ain't gonna change for you. so you sit. thats not how it is with Miles.

I'm really not trying to whine about the fact NU is winning. I guess people jsut need to understand that the type of offense Miles runs is a high risk, high reward type philosophy. its great and super fun to watch when dudes are hitting on all cylinders. but its awful when its not. (Gardner Webb anyone?) there isn't a ton of middle ground. I would prefer a coach whose plan isn't so heavily dependent on the singular output of fantastic players. Thats why Miles makes me nervous. BUT, what he's doing CAN work. i think its harder to build a consistent winner that way, but nonetheless.... if he can keep momentum going, and continue to get Roby, Palmer type players, and get them to play unselfishly (TP was a great player but an awful teammate) then I'm all for it. when i see it done consistently for 2 + yrs, i will officially shut my trap about Miles.

I know except you are.:Sneaky: :Biggrin:

Some folks just don't seem to be able to stand success. ;)

(a General Observation; Not intended for any specific thing! :Whistling:)

Last edited:

Some folks just don't seem to be able to stand success. ;)
fair enough. i'm not just automatically enamored with all the recent success for the reasons stated above. doesn't mean i'm upset that NU is winning. If NU can finish strong, Miles brings in a solid group of players that have the talent to run his scheme, and they show well next year and don't experience the huge drop off we saw in 14/15, then yes, I'll be able to stand success better without constantly pinching myself. i do however realize my viewpoint is a huge debbie downer and probably fairly annoying, so i will be quiet and just enjoy this run. no sense in worrying about next year now. Hopefully the team can win out, show strong in the BTN tourney, get to the dance and get a win. that would be HUGE!! GBR.

fair enough. i'm not just automatically enamored with all the recent success for the reasons stated above. doesn't mean i'm upset that NU is winning. If NU can finish strong, Miles brings in a solid group of players that have the talent to run his scheme, and they show well next year and don't experience the huge drop off we saw in 14/15, then yes, I'll be able to stand success better without constantly pinching myself. i do however realize my viewpoint is a huge debbie downer and probably fairly annoying, so i will be quiet and just enjoy this run. no sense in worrying about next year now. Hopefully the team can win out, show strong in the BTN tourney, get to the dance and get a win. that would be HUGE!! GBR.
I totally knew and understood what you meant. I bet Don did too and is just toying with you a little. :Biggrin:

I appreciate your points of view so keep on keepin' on Tim. :Rockon:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back