• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Badger wire - this made me laugh

Oh, sorry. It was meant for wiscy. I was taking it from the articles pov, or the badgers discounting Iowa, which has been less than wiscys and they're better but Iowa's is very good.
So from the wiscy attitude, their defense won't be that good just as we saw Iowa overtake them last year.
Wisconsin had good to great defenses throughout most of Paul Chryst's tenure. That was due in large part to UW's offensive gameplans ... conservative, ball control. limited turnovers, O-Line centric offensive team ... that means the defense is on the field less, they make their opponents play on longer fields. Their LB's throughout the years was unbelievable .... reflects their development program and their scheme.

The coaching change ... affects them significantly. Their offensive scheme doesn't help their defense as much. Their coaching turnover was impactful.

Wisconsin had good to great defenses throughout most of Paul Chryst's tenure. That was due in large part to UW's offensive gameplans ... conservative, ball control. limited turnovers, O-Line centric offensive team ... that means the defense is on the field less, they make their opponents play on longer fields. Their LB's throughout the years was unbelievable .... reflects their development program and their scheme.

The coaching change ... affects them significantly. Their offensive scheme doesn't help their defense as much. Their coaching turnover was impactful.
Number one in the nation several times.
The transition year, 39th.
Worst transitions to Leonhart was 29th, and he soon had them back up there too.
Add in the offensive non TOP scheme, it couldn't have happened to a better team.

Iowa and Wisconsin will have very good seasons they both have great coaching. Iowa is always tough they run a conservative offense and don’t turn the ball over. They are right there in the 4 th quarter and wait for a mistake to beat you.
I wouldn’t count on it …. Iowa hasn’t done much to upgrade their offense besides firing Ferentz … they lose DeJean and their AA punter.

Wisconsin hasn’t done well in player recruiting and retention since Fickel has been hired. Their strength (O-Line and Defense) is diminished. New QB … again! They graduated their all conference RB to the Jets.

Iowa has a joke of a non conference schedule but play @tOSU, @UCLA and Washington.
Wisconsin plays ‘Bama (@Lambeau), @USC, PSU and Oregon.

Conference schedules for the first time since NU joined the B1G are relatively balanced.
PS - Might be the only time I ever cheer for a ‘Bama win.

I wouldn’t count on it …. Iowa hasn’t done much to upgrade their offense besides firing Ferentz … they lose DeJean and their AA punter.

Wisconsin hasn’t done well in player recruiting and retention since Fickel has been hired. Their strength (O-Line and Defense) is diminished. New QB … again! They graduated their all conference RB to the Jets.

Iowa has a joke of a non conference schedule but play @tOSU, @UCLA and Washington.
Wisconsin plays ‘Bama (@Lambeau), @USC, PSU and Oregon.

Conference schedules for the first time since NU joined the B1G are relatively balanced.
PS - Might be the only time I ever cheer for a ‘Bama win.
I think Wisky will be lucky to go 6-6 this season.....

Yet the game has passed him by with not giving the O enough in todays game.
Iowa loses their D coordinator, they're just in the mix.
I don't think the game passed him by ... he simply had "daddy-goggles" on when it came to evaluating his son as an OC.

Iowa followed the same formula as Wisconsin ... ball control offense, minimize turnovers, aggressive defense, win special teams and grind out wins.

I chuckled during the NFL draft ... a commentator (Louis Riddick I think) stated that the Bears got USC's best offensive player (QB - Caleb Williams), Washington's best offensive player (WR - Rome Odunze) and Iowa's best offensive player (Punter - Tory Taylor).

I don't think the game passed him by ... he simply had "daddy-goggles" on when it came to evaluating his son as an OC.

Iowa followed the same formula as Wisconsin ... ball control offense, minimize turnovers, aggressive defense, win special teams and grind out wins.

I chuckled during the NFL draft ... a commentator (Louis Riddick I think) stated that the Bears got USC's best offensive player (QB - Caleb Williams), Washington's best offensive player (WR - Rome Odunze) and Iowa's best offensive player (Punter - Tory Taylor).
But you can't compare Iowa to wiscy. Wiscys defense has been better and so has their offense. The was pre and during BF/baby Ferentz.

Many a ditch chicken fan has felt the same as towards the punter goes.
Losing Jones destroyed their offense. BF was a good O line coach, and their O line hasn't recruited or done much since he was promoted, so its Hurt their run game.
Even their full TE room is down in numbers though they still have one good one.
They have that osu wr transfer that everything is hinging upon, but little help there.

I haven't followed wiscys talent as much, I do know they have good coaching, I'm just not sure how great their recruitings going, as scheme over fit just won't cut it.

I haven't followed wiscys talent as much, I do know they have good coaching, I'm just not sure how great their recruitings going, as scheme over fit just won't cut it.
I’m not sure about Fickel … not saying he isn’t a good coach but i believe he’s trying to turn Wisconsin into tOSU West without the recruiting advantages. UW during the Alvarez/Beilema/Chryst eras dominated the state including a “Nebraska-like” walk-on program. Top 2 players this past recruiting cycle went to Penn State.

I’m not sure about Fickel … not saying he isn’t a good coach but i believe he’s trying to turn Wisconsin into tOSU West without the recruiting advantages. UW during the Alvarez/Beilema/Chryst eras dominated the state including a “Nebraska-like” walk-on program. Top 2 players this past recruiting cycle went to Penn State.

You've pretty much captured my thoughts about 'Fickel to Wisconsin'.

Take what works, though maybe not as perfectly or as attractively as the systems at Ohio State or Alabama do, and tear it down trying to emulate those schools.

Callahan flashbacks for me.

You've pretty much captured my thoughts about 'Fickel to Wisconsin'.

Take what works, though maybe not as perfectly or as attractively as the systems at Ohio State or Alabama do, and tear it down trying to emulate those schools.

Callahan flashbacks for me.
Yep
Wiscy has had some talent at qb and wr but have been known for their running.
Wiscys D has been top notch getting that complimentary team approach through a solid run game,
D coordinators are gone, run game diminished in some capacity, agree with both you guys, its too much for them.

Yep
Wiscy has had some talent at qb and wr but have been known for their running.
Wiscys D has been top notch getting that complimentary team approach through a solid run game,
D coordinators are gone, run game diminished in some capacity, agree with both you guys, its too much for them.

I don't think it's impossible to change what a school typically recruits, but it's definitely not overnight. Some of it is geographical/regional, as in Wisconsin can get a certain type of player that supports the game they played successfully for a long time. Some of it is they attract certain guys because of what they were. Same goes for Iowa.

It's really a 'Be careful what you wish for' type of conversation.

I don't think it's impossible to change what a school typically recruits, but it's definitely not overnight. Some of it is geographical/regional, as in Wisconsin can get a certain type of player that supports the game they played successfully for a long time. Some of it is they attract certain guys because of what they were. Same goes for Iowa.

It's really a 'Be careful what you wish for' type of conversation.
True. An in the weeds look. I know a lot of their lines have been nearby recruits.
Their rbs have been from everywhere once they developed BA's scheme.
New O linemen, a different D tactic. Better wrs and qbs. Like us, they'll need success to create more of it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back