• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G-SEC Forming Advisory Committee

I think what many should realize is there are still a lot of teams that will move up into the SEC/B1G arena. The teams there now is strictly posturing. They are likely to pull another 30 teams into the mix once the formation works its way into reality.
Why?

Just adding Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame and Miami and you have all but 4 national champions going back 70 years. And none of them are in a position now to make much argument (Colorado, Georgia Tech, BYU, Pitt).

The BIG/SEC just needs to make the final move for their own playoff. Even if a deal was worked to give each conference 4 teams in a 12-team payoff, the conference payouts would total less than $100m for both conferences combined. Their own system of 12-16 teams could generate $2B to share.

Why?

Just adding Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame and Miami and you have all but 4 national champions going back 70 years. And none of them are in a position now to make much argument (Colorado, Georgia Tech, BYU, Pitt).

The BIG/SEC just needs to make the final move for their own playoff. Even if a deal was worked to give each conference 4 teams in a 12-team payoff, the conference payouts would total less than $100m for both conferences combined. Their own system of 12-16 teams could generate $2B to share.
Why? Because there is room for more diversity than 24-36 teams. There are solid programs such as the oklahoma states, the Arizonas, the north carlolinas that if put into a 64 team system with the premium schedules and money would excell if given the chance. College football is much more localized market due to the love of your college. They still need to capture those fans.

I think what many should realize is there are still a lot of teams that will move up into the SEC/B1G arena. The teams there now is strictly posturing. They are likely to pull another 30 teams into the mix once the formation works its way into reality.
Another 30? Where are you getting this? There will be maybe another 4, maybe.

Why? Because there is room for more diversity than 24-36 teams. There are solid programs such as the oklahoma states, the Arizonas, the north carlolinas that if put into a 64 team system with the premium schedules and money would excell if given the chance. College football is much more localized market due to the love of your college. They still need to capture those fans.
"more diversity" has always worked out well. The numbers do not support "more diversity", they simply don't. If the big schools want big dollars they'll stick with like minded colleges. AZ is so far in debt they can't even figure what the number actually is. CO can't even afford it's current coach, etc... These schools aren't coming into the big boy leagues.

Yes, Rutgers/MD and a few others are lucky they were in early because they wouldn't be in otherwise. They aren't going to get cut now though.

"more diversity" has always worked out well. The numbers do not support "more diversity", they simply don't. If the big schools want big dollars they'll stick with like minded colleges. AZ is so far in debt they can't even figure what the number actually is. CO can't even afford it's current coach, etc... These schools aren't coming into the big boy leagues.

Yes, Rutgers/MD and a few others are lucky they were in early because they wouldn't be in otherwise. They aren't going to get cut now though.
Arizonia debt is of no concern. I'm talking the College football arena of fans. There is room for geographical institutions that if they were operating under the same parameters of the other 60 teams would bring value to the college football brand. As it is right now, operating in the PAC with limited financial sources and less opportunity to be part of a narrowed down FBS they are struggling.

The statement that I'm referring to on why an Arizonia and others will eventually be pulled into the system is that they are still attractive to the totality of college football fans and are a market the new management group......NCAA or whatever the new group will be called........will want to capture. No different than the B1G bringing in Maryland and Rutgers. While not at tosu level......they still brought in regional value.
Phoenix and the Arizonia market will be included in that group of 60. And yes it will be close to 60.

10a0aa37-f334-436c-9e70-eaec5c97266e_text.gif

Alliance 2.0 :Rolf:

In reality, this could be the beginning stages of creating a new super-conference/subdivision. Get everyone on the same page and establish some rules/boundaries to navigate this new era of college sports. If the two big dogs unite in a certain direction, it will become a follow our lead or get left behind proposition.

Why?

One question I would have is whether conferences are stronger as their own entities or together? Could a B1G/SEC/ACC/Big XII package garner more money than those four separated as individuals? In the end, if you come together you eliminate your competition, which increases leverage.

I agree there is a point where some of this becomes overly diluted. But, I think there is more space available than the B1G/SEC. The question is where would that cutoff line be? [I think one could also argue if you were being really shrewd there are a few teams in the B1G/SEC you could stand to lose.]

Arizonia debt is of no concern. I'm talking the College football arena of fans. There is room for geographical institutions that if they were operating under the same parameters of the other 60 teams would bring value to the college football brand. As it is right now, operating in the PAC with limited financial sources and less opportunity to be part of a narrowed down FBS they are struggling.

The statement that I'm referring to on why an Arizonia and others will eventually be pulled into the system is that they are still attractive to the totality of college football fans and are a market the new management group......NCAA or whatever the new group will be called........will want to capture. No different than the B1G bringing in Maryland and Rutgers. While not at tosu level......they still brought in regional value.
Phoenix and the Arizonia market will be included in that group of 60. And yes it will be close to 60.
A lot of this will come down to TV markets. The B1G and SEC are primarily Eastern/Midwestern, which leaves out a swath of the country. While college sports in the Southwest might not be as big of a deal as the rest of the country, you'd still like to have some sort of real estate there to keep that part of the country engaged.

My expectation is there will end up being some sort of financial buy-in that will be required somewhere down the road. Whether it is a salary pool for athletes or some sort of minimum financial commitment to athletics, some sort of line will be drawn in the sand to force schools to decide if they want to be in the top group or not. This would be a way to weed out some of these schools that have latched onto a conference just to fulfill numbers, but aren't as financially tied into athletics as the other major programs. IE- Schools like Texas and Ohio State are going to get tired of carrying the load for schools like Houston and Cincinnati.

I really don't think so. Everything I've seen (and no inside info) says we're looking at 40 tops. The money is all from tv and the AZ's of the world just don't move the needle enough to put them in the umbrella.

I think they drop to a new D2 which basically looks like old CFB. Some money for the kids, but not much, limited tv exposure and regional travel only.

A lot of this will come down to TV markets. The B1G and SEC are primarily Eastern/Midwestern, which leaves out a swath of the country. While college sports in the Southwest might not be as big of a deal as the rest of the country, you'd still like to have some sort of real estate there to keep that part of the country engaged.

My expectation is there will end up being some sort of financial buy-in that will be required somewhere down the road. Whether it is a salary pool for athletes or some sort of minimum financial commitment to athletics, some sort of line will be drawn in the sand to force schools to decide if they want to be in the top group or not. This would be a way to weed out some of these schools that have latched onto a conference just to fulfill numbers, but aren't as financially tied into athletics as the other major programs. IE- Schools like Texas and Ohio State are going to get tired of carrying the load for schools like Houston and Cincinnati.
The growth in these areas and a presence already established is a known thing.
They can either get ahead of reformation later and include the SW teams, or do this all over again in ten years.

Last edited:
I read a lot of cfb forums just for grins, and everyone is singing the same song:

"As long as we have Bama, Georgia, Texas, A&M, Michigan, tOSU, USC, and ________________________________________(fill in blank with my team (Nebraska, Utah, whoever), now that's the best conference in America and every other school is screwed. If my team ________________________________________ wins just a teeny, weenie bit more, they'll be in that upper echelon. After all, they won a national championship (or came darn close or got hosed) back in __________________." (fill in blank with year)

:Hooray:

Last edited:
I read a lot of cfb forums just for grins, and everyone is singing the same song:

"As long as we have Bama, Georgia, Texas, A&M, Michigan, tOSU, USC, and ________________________________________(fill in blank with my team (Nebraska, Utah, whoever), now that's the best conference in America and every other school is screwed. If my team ________________________________________ wins just a teeny, weenie bit more, they'll be in that upper echelon. After all, they won a national championship (or came darn close or got hosed) back in __________________." (fill in blank with year)

Yes, iowa

Whoever gets included in the newest form of college football will be the one whose teams have a chance at success. If you kicked Alabama out, it wouldn't take long before they weren't any good. Players are going to go places where they can play on the "big stage" because that helps their draft stock.

Whoever gets left out is going to get the "I told you so" treatment, when their program falls apart. In reality, it is a "chicken or the egg" scenario. These programs have the ability to be successful because of their position in college football. They then have to put in the work to reach that success, but they have no chance if they get kicked out to fend for themselves.

Whoever gets included in the newest form of college football will be the one whose teams have a chance at success. If you kicked Alabama out, it wouldn't take long before they weren't any good. Players are going to go places where they can play on the "big stage" because that helps their draft stock.

Whoever gets left out is going to get the "I told you so" treatment, when their program falls apart. In reality, it is a "chicken or the egg" scenario. These programs have the ability to be successful because of their position in college football. They then have to put in the work to reach that success, but they have no chance if they get kicked out to fend for themselves.
They very fact everyone and their dog believes Notre Dame, the ultimate independent Will jump right only corroborates your thinking.
If anyone might survive it would be them, but they too will succumb

They very fact everyone and their dog believes Notre Dame, the ultimate independent Will jump right only corroborates your thinking.
If anyone might survive it would be them, but they too will succumb
The only reason they haven't succumb is because they leave a path open for them to make the playoff even without joining a conference. The second the major conferences break off to do their own thing, the second they'll have an about face.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back