• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G Kevin wanted a 24-Team Big Ten

I'm over expansion of the conference, but if it's going to have to happen anyway I can understand expansion up to 18 or even 20 teams. With 18, you could still have Divisions in which you'd play each of the other Division schools every year and one crossover along with a typical three game non-con slate. It's too big and would take a decade to face the other divisions teams in a regular season rotation, but it could work. 20 and you're throwing out the crossover, but could still have functional Divisions. Anything more and you're not going to be able to play all of your Divisional opponents each year, which to me is a problem.

24? Sounds like a scheduling nightmare and schedule equality would be non existent.
I agree, but you know, Oregon and Washington are waiting for their invitations.

24 could be 3 divisions with 7 games and two cross-conference games.

I still don't like the number of years it would take to play all conference opponents in season. If they're doing a home and home setup, it would be 16 years?

Would you take the two highest ranked teams for the CCG or do away with the CCG entirely?

I agree, but you know, Oregon and Washington are waiting for their invitations.

Truthfully, those are the two remaining teams that could add football value to the conference. Presently. I say 'presently' because the in five or ten years we may see someone else rise up and one of the 'good' teams from the last twenty or thirty years fall on hard times like we have.

I still don't like the number of years it would take to play all conference opponents in season. If they're doing a home and home setup, it would be 16 years?

Would you take the two highest ranked teams for the CCG or do away with the CCG entirely?
The larger the conference gets the farther we get away from what I consider a conference.

To me … a conference is a regional collection of similarly minded schools. There are natural rivalries. Those rivalries are refreshed frequently, ideally annually. Champions are determined through matchups on the field not by some computer, human committee or poll rankings.

I personally do not like the drift away from divisions because that'll mean the teams we have the most in common with … Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota followed then by tOSU, Michigan, PSU … will not meet as frequently as we’d like.

As a pre-teen step-child in this conference all this movement still makes me feel like an outsider that we are and will exasperate our slow-ish acceptance as a viable conference peer.

Last edited:

Since people are caught up on numbers, maybe the Big Ten can start calling itself a League instead of a Conference.

Think back to the old days of the Pac-10 and Big Ten champions playing in the Rose Bowl. We may see a new version of that, only the Big Ten now owns "both" conferences.

The biggest question with a conference big enough to have unbalanced schedules is, what is the postseason?

If the tourney is expanded to whatever number and a 24 team conference looks to get multiple teams in, in many ways the conference championship becomes ceremonial. Maybe there is an auto bid for the champ, but this is likely irrelevant since both teams in the title game were getting in anyway.

So why are you having a title game? And if you have such a large conference, choosing 2 teams fairly gets very difficult. You may need to take the top 4 to have a little conference championship. Well that makes zero sense in football when those 4 teams are already anticipating a longer postseason tournament for the national championship.

Could a 4 (or 6 or 8) team Big 10 tournament be a subset of the national championship? Is it the AFL/NFL like the B1G/SEC? If both leagues expanded to 24, the two leagues can just have their own postseason tournaments (which they would control financially completely) and a Super Bowl style meeting of the two champions.

But if the Big 10 gets larger than the current number, it will enter an awkward in-between state where the size is too big for a meaningful conference championship process, but we also don’t have a national championship process like I described.

And there are currently a lot of quality teams outside the SEC/ B1G pool.

Truthfully, those are the two remaining teams that could add football value to the conference. Presently. I say 'presently' because the in five or ten years we may see someone else rise up and one of the 'good' teams from the last twenty or thirty years fall on hard times like we have.
I've seen some numbers on Twitter from people that appear to know what they're talking about. Outside of ND, there isn't anyone in the PAC or Big12 that adds financial value to the Big10 at this point. Any team that's added will decrease the annual dollars to each existing Big10 team.

I seriously doubt you see any expansion any time soon, with the potential exception of ND.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back