• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Assessment After a Dozen Games?

bentNblue

Red Shirt
20 Year Member
I am curious to hear an assessment by our HuskerMax most passionate and dedicated fans of the Husker Baseball team after tuning into a dozen games now. What are your general and specific impressions from what you've seen since this new coaching staff has taken the reins?

This is just a curiosity thing because I'm an seldom able to tune in to watch, hear, or follow the HM thread real time. This leads me to say, "THANK YOU VERY MUCH" for those that do pbp and comment during the games. I am able to come back and read through the threads after work and I REALLY enjoy them and are thankful that you guys expend the time and effort as a service to the rest of us.

Personally, from what I've read in the threads, read in other coverage materials, and the one game I got to listen to live, I get the "impression" that we're moving in the right direction from where we were the last few years.

I'd like to hear what you think...and if you're okay with getting close to your feminine side...tell me how you feel :):)

Pros:
DE is not afraid to experiment with different players, at different positions. MA would have had his players and positions locked before the season started.
DE is not afraid to take some risks.
DE has taught the guys how to bunt. :bow:
NU has speed
NU has some very good players

Cons:
NU pitching staff appears to be the weakest link, and makes me VERY nervous.

This weekend should be interesting

Pros:
DE is not afraid to experiment with different players, at different positions. MA would have had his players and positions locked before the season started.
NU has speed

Cons:

I agree with Ackos for the most part.

Anderson always wanted to play small-ball, but the problem was that we were always terrible at it (at least the last three years). Offensively, we couldn't execute bunts, didn't do a very good job at moving runners or having productive at bats (even an out can be productive), and there were way too many K's. Defensively, we usually had a good fielding percentage, but I think that was very misleading due to a number of factors. Basically, Nebraska was very poor fundamentally the last few years (I especially question the offensive approach under the previous coach).

I have not seen any games this year, so I can only go off of what I have heard on the radio, however, it seem like all of those things are significantly improving with this staff. I love the mentality that DE has seemed to bring to the team and that aggressive style of play....I think at this level it still pays to put a lot of pressure on the defense and force them to make good plays.

I am optimistic about everything and believe DE has the team moving in the right direction so far.

I agree that the pitching staff may be the weakest part of the team at this point, however, I am not as worried about that (maybe I should be though). Silva has a great reputation and has put out great pitching everywhere he has been and I am confident that the pitching will improve under his coaching. I think the pitching may take a little longer, but again, I am very optimistic.

My gestalt is that DE's toughness is rubbing off on the team.

The manner in which we lost in the Sat and Sun game vs. Gonzaga were Mike-Anderson-esque. Fading was how NU finished the seasons in 2007 and 2008, and then it became more frequent the last three-four years.

My hope is NU can stay mentally tough.

My instant analysis is that the Huskers don't look like a MA team anymore. There were hints and flashbacks of it in the first series against Gonzaga, especially with the bullpen meltdown, but the team is learning and taking on the character of a professional leader.

Thanks for all of your inputs...they are interesting and appreciated.
I look forward to the team taking on the personality of DE and becoming more mentally tough. What I also seemed to remember last year is that we stranded so many base runners every game. I'm wondering now if we came close to a record last year.

Another thing of note is that Gonzaga is now currently 10-0 and ranked in the bottom 5 of the Top 25. So, 3 of our 4 losses aren't looking that bad anymore.

West Virginia, on the other hand... ;)

I think this team looks (and sounds on the radio lol) much better at this point in the season than last year's would have. This weekend's series is a big test for this team.

The only thing I will add is lets not underestimate the influance of Will Bolt. The home opener that I attended what I saw is his intensity as a player transitioning real well into a coach. He was on the field coaching at third unlike the Head C doing it with MA. The players seem to go to both DE and WB. Seem like good chemistry after only seeing one game in person. Will be at #2 today (Friday) if all goes as planned.

I know it has been stated before but watching him on the diamond he looks like a young VanHorn both in build and intesity.

On a side note, has anyone heard if MIke A has a job in baseball in any form? Last I remeber hearing is he moved from Lincoln almost imediatly last year after the change. Anyone know where he is at?

Last edited:

Hard to say at this point:

They have been winning, but the loss to WV and the walk off against NMST is somewhat alarming.

I do see improvement, and as previously stated, its nice to see Erstad move around the lineup to find what works.

Unfortunately, regards of how the season goes, it is probably going to take a conference tournament championship to get this team into the NCAA's

Pros:
NU has speed

Cons:

Give the pitching a little, more time, Ackos. :) Hopefully, they WILL improve. :rockonsign:

All in all about where i thought they'd be. As i posted after seeing the series against Gonzaga....Gonzaga is good! and NU was in all three gms. We will see just how good the Zag's are after their 2 gm's with Arkansas next week. IMO, i think the pitching is doing a good job. Team ERA after 12 gms. of 3.62 in college baseball? not bad! plus 10 errors have led to 7 unearned runs, 3 e's each by 2 players! The whole West Virginia thing was not as bad as it looked (2 me at least) Hirsch was cruising along in the later innings of the game and just had a bad inning. It happens...its baseball and just 1 game. Ask Baylor how they felt after Michigan St. shut them out at home! or Liberty blasting Virginia at Virginia 8-0 and so on! I like the fact that Erstad is here, but for the most part is still M.A. players and team. Sure Erstad can help change attitudes even with the M.A. players, but i think we won't see what he can really do until next year...JMO

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back