• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Article About Decommits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACarl

Recruit
5 Year Member
Worthwhile article that raises a good point--recruiting is such a messed up and screwy process that no one can blame a recruit for reneging on his commitment, especially when his decision to commit or decommit is the most power he's ever going to have.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/32569/the-art-of-the-decommit

No matter what we hear or read about a recruit, we can never truly know his character, not even someone like Rex Burkhead, someone that received every ringing endorsement possible. Humans are way too complex to be understood in snippets and quotes. I think someone like Rex Burkhead actually harms, in some fashion, future recruits. He sets the bar so high as far as consistency and character go that nobody else quite compares. There's a reason he's a, or THE, leader on the team. We hope that everyone else can aspire to and come close to his standards.

The point I'm trying to make is that any reading into the character of a 17 year old recruit, for any reason, is at best rosy-lensed optimism and at worst unfair and ugly judgement.

Last edited:

Good read, thanks for posting. I think we all take interest in the process but should not judge until some time(years) has passed.

Makes me think maybe we should know the initial choices of the sports writers we read (at the age of 17), then why they changed their minds? or maybe posters on a forum, and how many of them have the moral character that We are looking for. Jeeze. These 17 yo's have more talent and more people paying attention to them (how many people pay to find out if Jack Smo has commented to SMU?) than the vast majority of posters (or population).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back