• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Are we gonna get the dirt on the 2020 season?

There were some on here trying to portray him as a victim only doing what he was ordered to do which was laughable. He is incompetent and should've been replaced by now.

I can't remember what I posted publicly, but in my own mind I have gone back and forth on how much of it was Kevin Warren versus the university presidents. I think both were at fault. It would have taken a very strong hand and a lot of built-up trust to have steered the presidents/chancellors of schools like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Rutgers towards what the B1G had originally said that it was going to do, so I don't think it's fair to let them off the hook. Warren clearly wasn't and isn't that type of guy,... which is likely why they hired him. I think that each reinforces the other.

Never underestimate the sheer arrogance and condescension of folks in academic administration, especially those who preen a lot and/or are hyper-focused on elite credentials. I've had mere glimpses of this at much lower levels, and it was enough to make me nauseous. Common sense isn't common.

TL; DR: I think Warren isn't up to the job, and I also think that he's exactly what the B1G presidents want to have.

That's it right there. It takes a strong, influential leader to be able to direct the narrative with the CoPC, in order to give the B1G a competitive advantage. Many, if not most, of the presidents / chancellors don't value athletics, and don't see that sports, especially football, are the front door to the universities (including funding). Allowing the eggheads to run the show amounts to running it into the ground. I bet the members of the CoPC were doing cartwheels when Warren replaced Delany, as they could now control the direction of sports with little resistance.

You basically said the same things as I did in my previous post, but better and with fewer words.

I don't understand how the B1G went from Delaney to Warren. Delany was the man and did great things for the B1G, you'd think his replacement would have been easy to find anyone you wanted for that gig.

You're right: Delaney was "the man." University presidents don't like feeling like they're not as important as they think that they are in their own self-regard. They'd never pick another guy like Delaney. People don't buy toy poodles because they think that they need a guard dog. The presidents are absolutely certain that they know what's best; they just need somebody to be the face of their decisions and carry out the boring, day-to-day details. Enter Warren.

Ask any uni prez, when they start getting 90000 paying people in on the debates on the left handed shrews mating habits then can we talk?
Maybe theyll then get the hint.
Sports is part of the college experience, and in it theres no good ol boys clubs within the uni, no pecking order etc, so dont project those things onto sports.

They would prefer it if their biology departments received more applause than the sports programs. The Ivy League model of dropping down from D1 to no scholarships is VERY attractive to A LOT of academics in universities like Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, et al.

I can't remember what I posted publicly, but in my own mind I have gone back and forth on how much of it was Kevin Warren versus the university presidents. I think both were at fault. It would have taken a very strong hand and a lot of built-up trust to have steered the presidents/chancellors of schools like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Rutgers towards what the B1G had originally said that it was going to do, so I don't think it's fair to let them off the hook. Warren clearly wasn't and isn't that type of guy,... which is likely why they hired him. I think that each reinforces the other.

Never underestimate the sheer arrogance and condescension of folks in academic administration, especially those who preen a lot and/or are hyper-focused on elite credentials. I've had mere glimpses of this at much lower levels, and it was enough to make me nauseous. Common sense isn't common.

TL; DR: I think Warren isn't up to the job, and I also think that he's exactly what the B1G presidents want to have.

I am of the mind the president's were the issue as more and more came out. With that being said Warren could have done better

I personally would encourage OSU to leave the Big Ten -- don't let the door hit you on the way out, Suckeyes. (It's not going to happen.)

Why?!? Just because they're successful?

Ohio State is the ONLY prestigious original Big 10 school that has a lot in common with Nebraska's culture as far as balancing academics and athletics. Ohio State leaving the B1G would be absolutely disastrous for the B1G, but it would especially be so for Nebraska as we'd lose our most respected and staunchest ally when the big debates pop up, such as playing the 2020 season. Michigan, Wisconsin, et al., are elitist institutions who also look down their noses at Ohio State.

It would be in Nebraska fans' best interests to know who their allies are.

Why?!? Just because they're successful?

Ohio State is the ONLY prestigious original Big 10 school that has a lot in common with Nebraska's culture as far as balancing academics and athletics. Ohio State leaving the B1G would be absolutely disastrous for the B1G, but it would especially be so for Nebraska as we'd lose our most respected and staunchest ally when the big debates pop up, such as playing the 2020 season. Michigan, Wisconsin, et al., are elitist institutions who also look down their noses at Ohio State.

It would be in Nebraska fans' best interests to know who their allies are.

Again -- Ohio State is not going anywhere.

I will not be conned into believing they are an ally. They will look out for themselves.

I will not be conned into believing they are an ally. They will look out for themselves.

The one doesn't negate the other ... as we all saw last summer when Ohio State wanted to play football, but Michigan and Wisconsin did not.

Maybe you should read some of the stuff linked above.

Fwiw, I have NEVER had a lot of kind things to say about Ohio State,... but this is different. For the fans who don't know the intrinsic differences in how the B1G schools' alumni and administration view themselves, I suppose that there is no difference. Meanwhile, nobody in Michigan will ever confuse the stereotypes of a Michigan fan versus a Michigan State fan. Though our current levels of success don't match, Ohio State is by far the traditional Big 10 team that shares the most in common with how Nebraska fans and alumni view themselves, their university, and their sports program. Penn State is the only other school that comes close, but they're not original to the Big 10 either. Michigan State would likely be the next in line, and they were the last to be added to the original Big 10. Do you know what all three teams have in common? Michigan and Wisconsin didn't think any of the three had the academic pedigree to join "their" conference. Northwestern fans would have probably felt the same way, but there weren't any of those in existence at that point in time.

In case anybody is wondering, the Indiana and Iowa administrations want much more to be like Michigan and Wisconsin than they would relate to being like Nebraska. It was a pleasant surprise that Iowa lined up with Ohio State and Nebraska to fight for football last year. I would not have expected that. Penn State as an institution should have been more outspoken, not just Coach Franklin. Everybody else pretty much fell in line with their reputations.

Last edited:

Saying Warren is not the right man for the job os not letting the presidents off the hook. A commissioner should be strong enough to guide the conversation. So either he believed it was the right thing which means he needs to go because he chose to follow weakly presented pseudo science. OR He was too weak to guide the conversation back to a logical point. Either way he did not do what was best for B1G athletics. Either way gotta go.

Saying Warren is not the right man for the job os not letting the presidents off the hook. A commissioner should be strong enough to guide the conversation. So either he believed it was the right thing which means he needs to go because he chose to follow weakly presented pseudo science. OR He was too weak to guide the conversation back to a logical point. Either way he did not do what was best for B1G athletics. Either way gotta go.
Nailed it

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back