• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Are we falling behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not from a team speed standpoint (on D, that is). Our DL is terribly unathletic, minus Eric Martin and the same goes for our LBs.

Last edited:

That was directed toward jsl, Red. I'd agree that our 2013 Class looks good thus far. Games like the one in Colombus won't rear their heads until '14 and '15.

I have been surprised by the problems getting blue chip Dlinemen. I thought that having Suh on the Heismann stand would bring in a couple exceptional recruits.
where are they?
perhaps that did not count for as much as I had hoped.

I have been surprised by the problems getting blue chip Dlinemen. I thought that having Suh on the Heismann stand would bring in a couple exceptional recruits.
where are they?
perhaps that did not count for as much as I had hoped.

Why do people say this? We pulled in unreal DLinemen because of Suh... also, considering that we have 2 4 star DLinemen, Baker who would have been a 4 star DLinemen, and Meredith on the line starting, that's plenty of talent. Couple that with backups like Peat who was a top 10 DLinemen, Williams or Valentine was Florida's number 1 dlinemen on their board, McMullen a 4 star, and on and on, and that is great depth.

Now if you want to talk talent development or player evaluation you may be right. And this year we are struggling interior-wise to find some people...

Not from a team speed standpoint (on D, that is). Our DL is terribly unathletic, minus Eric Martin and the same goes for our LBs.

Our LBs could be more athletic...but outside of that....we are every bit their equal and even better in some areas.

The biggest difference Saturday night was not the personnel...it was Urban vs. Bo.

The more games we lose or worse get blown out the harder it will be to close the deal on some of the recruits that are on the fence... so I'm starting to worry that we may indeed we are behind. The hotter Bo's seat becomes the more unsure these recruits will be. IMHO

I know our history is to not get that many commitments during this stretch of the year, and things usually pick up late oct - early nov, but still kind of frustrating that we havent picked up a commitment since early august. Especially after losing out on Quesenberry without even getting him in for a visit. And I wasnt really as impressed with the list of visitors for Wisky as alot of people seemed to be. Some great prospects on the list, but I think we had only 3 "uncommitted" visitors out of that long list. It could turn out well for us in the end, but I think it would be much tougher to flip committed prospects with a visit than it is to get a guy that hasnt made any decisions yet. I'm just curious if anyone else here is as concerned with our progress as I am.

yes we fell behind. we should be recruiting for 2014!

Our LBs could be more athletic...but outside of that....we are every bit their equal and even better in some areas.

The biggest difference Saturday night was not the personnel...it was Urban vs. Bo.

I'll agree with the Urban/Bo comment, but you think our DL is as athletic as Ohio State's? That's not even a comparison. Our DE aren't even as athletic as their 330 pound DT Hankins. You know who the starting ends are, right? Meredith? Ankrah? Not very impressive. There's seven of eleven that move around like they're wearing concrete shoes.

Last edited:

I'll agree with the Urban/Bo comment, but you think our DL is as athletic as Ohio State's? That's not even a comparison. Our DE aren't even as athletic as their 330 pound DT Hankins. You know who the starting ends are, right? Meredith? Ankrah? Not very impressive. There's seven of eleven that move around like they're wearing concrete shoes.

I think our front 4 are a lot more athletic than what we see them as. It's the scheme moreso than the player. Martin is a guy who is very athletic. If Meredith and Ankrah were allowed to play in the same way Ohio State's DL plays...they'd look alot more athletic. The 2-gap philosophy takes away their ability to make a lot of splash plays.

Martin is certainly athletic ... Meredith and Ankrah, not so much. You can see it in pursuit, when they're attempting to bring down a QB ... sure, the scheme doesn't require them to be speedy edge rushers, but when they have an opportunity to make a play, they're not able to do so. I don't know where the blame should go, but this scheme sure seems to put a lot of slugs out on the field. It just doesn't cut it nowadays. Teams are too fast, too athletic. You either get with the times or get steamrolled.

I think Ankrah's athleticism may also be clouded with how clueless he is on a football field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back