• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Are Clemson and FSU joining the Big 10 in 2025?

I don't think they'll boot us because we're currently not a member, as we weren't a member when we were accepted in. I read somewhere that Notre Dame is not an AAU member either, but the B1G would take them in a heartbeat.
When N was admitted to the B1G they were a member of AAU. We voted out later, and yes, ND became a member of the AAU in the last couple of years! N does not want to be left out because of our academic standing! When admitted to the B1G we were ranked #98 according to the USNews and world report, we are now #153!

When N was admitted to the B1G they were a member of AAU. We voted out later, and yes, ND became a member of the AAU in the last couple of years! N does not want to be left out because of our academic standing! When admitted to the B1G we were ranked #98 according to the USNews and world report, we are now #153!
According to this article, dated June 1, 2023, ND has only recently been a member of the AAU, less than one year ago. The B1G has allegedly been pursuing ND for years, if not decades.

The article from Bleacher Report that I quoted from earlier, says that Perlman announced the ousting on April 29, 2010. This article states that NU decided to leave the Big XII on June 12, 2010. Even if the dates are off slightly, it's pretty obvious that, at the very least, NU was admitted to the B1G as the process for booting NU from the AAU was in progress.

I'm not arguing against joining the AAU. I'm happy NU is currently trying to get back in. I'm simply saying that the B1G took in NU even though they weren't a member of the AAU and, as such, lack of membership isn't a valid reason to boot them from the conference. Frankly, the idea of kicking NU out for any reason is, IMO, absurd.

According to this article, dated June 1, 2023, ND has only recently been a member of the AAU, less than one year ago. The B1G has allegedly been pursuing ND for years, if not decades.

The article from Bleacher Report that I quoted from earlier, says that Perlman announced the ousting on April 29, 2010. This article states that NU decided to leave the Big XII on June 12, 2010. Even if the dates are off slightly, it's pretty obvious that, at the very least, NU was admitted to the B1G as the process for booting NU from the AAU was in progress.

I'm not arguing against joining the AAU. I'm happy NU is currently trying to get back in. I'm simply saying that the B1G took in NU even though they weren't a member of the AAU and, as such, lack of membership isn't a valid reason to boot them from the conference. Frankly, the idea of kicking NU out for any reason is, IMO, absurd.
Bigger Ed, I agree wholeheartedly. Just didn't want to see N lose this opportunity, the B1G has never remove a member in its history, but neither had the AAU until N. Membership in the AAU is one of the metrics the B1G had prided itself in as a "academic" conference. I thought once in the B!G we are there for life. I just don't want the door to open for anything to happen to this. Hopefully once the UNMC us brought back under the N umbrella that should help! We need to live up to the B!G standards both academically and athletically!

Bigger Ed, I agree wholeheartedly. Just didn't want to see N lose this opportunity, the B1G has never remove a member in its history, but neither had the AAU until N. Membership in the AAU is one of the metrics the B1G had prided itself in as a "academic" conference. I thought once in the B!G we are there for life. I just don't want the door to open for anything to happen to this. Hopefully once the UNMC us brought back under the N umbrella that should help! We need to live up to the B!G standards both academically and athletically!
This should get us back in its good graces. Since we are somewhat the poster boy here, there just may be certain levels to achieve as we may be an example going forwards.
I just hope its fair this time around like all the rest.

Is it a problem recognizing the USDA research, or that the university medical is in Omaha?

Or both?

Is it a problem recognizing the USDA research, or that the university medical is in Omaha?

Or both?

Both.

A lot of the agricultural research money is non-competitive; it's awarded based on a formula, not based on a competition, and the university and stakeholders decide where the money goes. The AAU only recognizes competitive grants.

UNMC is a separate entity from UNL, so the AAU doesn't count UNMC research when considering UNL's research funding (just as it doesn't count UNO's research). If the medical school were in Omaha, but administered by UNL, it would count, since the medical school would then be part of the university.

Edit: We can't do anything about the agricultural research, but we can solve the UNMC problem by merging it with UNL.

Last edited:
Both.

A lot of the agricultural research money is non-competitive; it's awarded based on a formula, not based on a competition, and the university and stakeholders decide where the money goes. The AAU only recognizes competitive grants.

UNMC is a separate entity from UNL, so the AAU doesn't count UNMC research when considering UNL's research funding (just as it doesn't count UNO's research). If the medical school were in Omaha, but administered by UNL, it would count, since the medical school would then be part of the university.

Edit: We can't do anything about the agricultural research, but we can solve the UNMC problem by merging it with UNL.

Would the UNMC merging have to be a physical relocation to Lincoln or just an administrative address to Lincoln?

Seriously asking.

Just an administrative address to Lincoln. It was until 1968 when things changed and UNL, UNO and the UNMC campuses were created and late UNK!

Kind of, but not quite. It goes back to the registration of the UEI (Unique Entity Identifier) registered in the federal repository, sam.gov. UNMC and UNL have different UEIs, and so the federal grant funds they receive can’t be combined. That is an institutional choice, so they need to work on merging their UEIs, which I think will require registering using the same physical address, among many other steps.

Nope. But Presidents/Chancellors certainly do. On the academic side, the primary currency is prestige. It brings better students and better faculty, which means more grants and donations, both of which help them to maintain and advance the university's prestige. And being in a better academic neighborhood (Ivy League, Big Ten) is a component of prestige. The Big Ten Presidents/Chancellors want to maintain the quality of their academic neighborhood. The AAU criterion is one component of that.

This is all true, but I will add that being in the AAU is important to the state of Nebraska. Why? Because research drives industry and the economy. All research dollars earned by UNL benefit the state. And being in the AAU helps bring in and retain the researchers and top students that bring in those research dollars.

So, people should care. It’s more than just prestige. Membership in the AAU impacts real dollars.

I have some hesitancy here. I'm hoping it hasn't evolved into this

Its shouldn't be about the money

Last edited:
Kind of, but not quite. It goes back to the registration of the UEI (Unique Entity Identifier) registered in the federal repository, sam.gov. UNMC and UNL have different UEIs, and so the federal grant funds they receive can’t be combined. That is an institutional choice, so they need to work on merging their UEIs, which I think will require registering using the same physical address, among many other steps.

Seems that to be a prudent step/steps?

I don't know the intricacies of it, but if it is simply a paperwork shuffle to merge campuses it sure seems it would be in the universities best interest to do so.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back