• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Are Clemson and FSU joining the Big 10 in 2025?

The traditional line of thinking is that the SEC did not want to double down on existing states within their footprint. Over the years, there have been teams like Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, Louisville, and others who were rumored to join the SEC. The speculation is that the existing SEC schools did not want to have in-state competition.

When it comes to FSU and Clemson, I tend to think that the Gators have enough political clout to keep the Seminoles out, but that South Carolina probably isn't a strong enough voice to block Clemson. Plus, Clemson already has some established rivalries with Georgia and Auburn, among others.

My gut says that FSU comes to the Big Ten while Clemson heads to the SEC. If we're going to add four teams, I wouldn't mind grabbing FSU, Miami, UNC and UVA. Screw the Irish.

I’ve seen some people saying that none of these schools are a value add to the B1G. As in each school in the B1G would have to accept a smaller piece of the pie. But I just think taking four big-time southern schools cements the B1G as the only national conference in college football. And it limits the SEC’s ability to double down in the south. If I were the B1G I would already have this in the works.

As far as who they should take, UNC, FSU, Miami and Clemson sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
The traditional line of thinking is that the SEC did not want to double down on existing states within their footprint. Over the years, there have been teams like Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, Louisville, and others who were rumored to join the SEC. The speculation is that the existing SEC schools did not want to have in-state competition.

When it comes to FSU and Clemson, I tend to think that the Gators have enough political clout to keep the Seminoles out, but that South Carolina probably isn't a strong enough voice to block Clemson. Plus, Clemson already has some established rivalries with Georgia and Auburn, among others.

My gut says that FSU comes to the Big Ten while Clemson heads to the SEC. If we're going to add four teams, I wouldn't mind grabbing FSU, Miami, UNC and UVA. Screw the Irish.
Hmmm, aTm and Texas. I think tradition takes a back seat to $$$ these days.

No. I've read where that's still important and any non-AAU team has to be in the process of getting added. It's also why NU is trying to get the med center to count.
Make that still trying. Wasn't it Texass that started the move to get NU thrown out of the AAU?

Last edited:
Make that still trying. Wasn't it Texass that started the move to get NU thrown out of the AAU?

BleacherReport.com from May 7, 2011

"[The expulsion of Nebraska] by the AAU is the first in its 111-year history, and as much as anything it is as dubious an honor as it can get for Nebraska since it comes right on the eve of its historic move from the Big 12 to the Big Ten."

"But speculation still abounds in many Nebraska newspaper reports that AAU President Robert Berdahl and several AAU member presidents wanted Nebraska expelled due to the spat over the move from the Big 12 to the Big Ten. Many members of the Nebraska Board of Regents as well as the administration, faculty and staff felt that a vendetta indeed was in place. While the AAU does not release voter specifics (being a private organization), over the voting period, 44 votes [of 62 members] came in to support the resolution to force Nebraska out.
"Much speculation centers with Texas since Berdahl (who is retiring from the AAU at the end of this month) was President at Texas during the 1990s when the Big 12 was formed. Perlman claims that Nebraska was supported by all the Big Ten and Big 12 institutions in the organization."

BleacherReport.com from May 7, 2011

"[The expulsion of Nebraska] by the AAU is the first in its 111-year history, and as much as anything it is as dubious an honor as it can get for Nebraska since it comes right on the eve of its historic move from the Big 12 to the Big Ten."

"But speculation still abounds in many Nebraska newspaper reports that AAU President Robert Berdahl and several AAU member presidents wanted Nebraska expelled due to the spat over the move from the Big 12 to the Big Ten. Many members of the Nebraska Board of Regents as well as the administration, faculty and staff felt that a vendetta indeed was in place. While the AAU does not release voter specifics (being a private organization), over the voting period, 44 votes [of 62 members] came in to support the resolution to force Nebraska out.
"Much speculation centers with Texas since Berdahl (who is retiring from the AAU at the end of this month) was President at Texas during the 1990s when the Big 12 was formed. Perlman claims that Nebraska was supported by all the Big Ten and Big 12 institutions in the organization."
Texas was the leader to remove N from the AAU, but N did not help themselves. The first was not having UNMC under the N umbrella and part of the main University, which is where the big part of research $ come from. Secondly is the Ag school which is a major part of N is not viewed by the AAU as a positive. The AAU does not include the AG research $ to be included as part of the total research funding obtained by the school! It also takes the number of professors from the AG school and counts them into the total research $ which dilutes $/professors! So it is a double whammy for N or any other school which has a large AG school. Probably the reason Iowa State dropout of the AAU! With the UNMC under the N umbrella, N is 64 in research dollars and there are 71 schools in the AAU. With Gold as president N needs to get the UNMC under the N umbrella and back into the AAU!!!

Texas was the leader to remove N from the AAU, but N did not help themselves. The first was not having UNMC under the N umbrella and part of the main University, which is where the big part of research $ come from. Secondly is the Ag school which is a major part of N is not viewed by the AAU as a positive. The AAU does not include the AG research $ to be included as part of the total research funding obtained by the school! It also takes the number of professors from the AG school and counts them into the total research $ which dilutes $/professors! So it is a double whammy for N or any other school which has a large AG school. Probably the reason Iowa State dropout of the AAU! With the UNMC under the N umbrella, N is 64 in research dollars and there are 71 schools in the AAU. With Gold as president N needs to get the UNMC under the N umbrella and back into the AAU!!!
does the common person even care about aau? i know i dont....

does the common person even care about aau? i know i dont....

Nope. But Presidents/Chancellors certainly do. On the academic side, the primary currency is prestige. It brings better students and better faculty, which means more grants and donations, both of which help them to maintain and advance the university's prestige. And being in a better academic neighborhood (Ivy League, Big Ten) is a component of prestige. The Big Ten Presidents/Chancellors want to maintain the quality of their academic neighborhood. The AAU criterion is one component of that.

Nope. But Presidents/Chancellors certainly do. On the academic side, the primary currency is prestige. It brings better students and better faculty, which means more grants and donations, both of which help them to maintain and advance the university's prestige. And being in a better academic neighborhood (Ivy League, Big Ten) is a component of prestige. The Big Ten Presidents/Chancellors want to maintain the quality of their academic neighborhood. The AAU criterion is one component of that.
You mean there's more to a unveristy's purpose than football?

All B1G is in the AAU except N. We need to meet that metric as a minimum. We don’t want to get booted from the B1G as this is not the time to be looking for another conference!!

I think UNC is a bigger priority for the B1G and that would give them a similar footprint, but bigger/better academics.

I think we could see ND to the B1G as well sooner than expected.

Right now, my guess is on the B1G adding 4 more and the SEC 2 more. That will end every other conference as a power conference and the new P2 will break away from the NCAA and start their own tournament.
If that happens, it’s pure bull. That leaves out many very good schools. This isn’t COLLEGE football anymore, or NIL, This is straight up pay for play.

Last edited:

All B1G is in the AAU except N. We need to meet that metric as a minimum. We don’t want to get booted from the B1G as this is not the time to be looking for another conference!!
I don't think they'll boot us because we're currently not a member, as we weren't a member when we were accepted in. I read somewhere that Notre Dame is not an AAU member either, but the B1G would take them in a heartbeat.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back