• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Another Sipple Classic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote from Gerry DiNardo:
"You're always "under crisis" at Nebraska unless you win all your games and bench your starting quarterback. .... It's hard to compete for a division when everyone is criticizing you and your players aren't having any fun when they leave the facility and everyone's picking at you."

LOL, quoting DiNardo, I'm thinking of making this my signature line...LOL

Last edited:

Driveway Jordan, you have a hate woody for Sipple. I enjoy his stuff, just like I enjoy Christopherson, Shatel, McKewon, etc. I suppose you think it's cool to hate Sipple, but there is nothing to hate about this article.

Of course there is pressure to win at any big-time college program. There are many jobs that are pressure-packed, and many people that are worried about their jobs and their families for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean that you should just get used to it. Football coaches are human, too. They experience the same emotions as anyone else, and when a very vocal portion of the fanbase is basically telling you that you're no good and want you gone, it's going to have an effect on you. Any coach would feel that way. Tom Osborne felt that way on more than one occasion. He almost left for Colorado. Ron Brown mentioned in a recent story that Osborne was telling his staff to start looking for other jobs in the late 1980s/early 1990s because they weren't winning enough.

Here's my takeaway from the article:

That pretty much tells me what I need to know. You can spend your life trying to make everyone else happy, or you can spend your life trying to make yourself, your family, and those closest to you happy.

Bam! Hit that one out of the park. I enjoy reading all of the columnists from all of the different papers. It gives you a better perspective on things. Driveway Jordan is really reaching on this one.

Well, first off, I didn't have a problem with the article. I believe these jobs do wear on people. Some handle it much better than others.

Which brings me to the point. This article makes me question more if we really have the right coaches in place. This job is not for everyone, and these coaches may be fine coaches at other places. NU might need someone who can tune this out better than the current staff. IMO, it clearly affects the coaches and the players. Bo says tune out the media and the papers etc, but then bitches about articles at other times. The fans in the stands get restless and Bo makes a gesture at them. Fans leave the OSU game and Bo notices. That stuff is really bothersome to me when I am forming my opinions about the coaching staff. Fortunately for Bo, my opinion of his job performance means little to nothing.

I agree. I think that we need coaches that are mentally tough, and can deal with the ups and downs of coaching here. Hopefully there will be more ups than downs in the near future. And, maybe they will grow into the positions better, but then again time isn't exactly on their side right now.

Didn't read it.. but if the article is the way you say (not saying it isn't) then Sipple is an idiot. Without fans and without high expectations coaches wouldn't be getting paid what they do, and because they are paid that price they are expected to produce! Anything else is scapegoating the issue.

Try reading it first.... it might help. ;)

Personal wealth doesn't create happiness. Stress and criticism can affect even the best of the best - in any profession.

The only confusion I have is whether you're being sarcastic or not. My priorities are very much in order. I don't rely on any other man to make me happy.

Isn't that the truth... If Husker fans are relying on the head coach to make their lives a lot happier, than they have other issues that seriously need to be dealt with.

Driveway Jordan, you have a hate woody for Sipple. I enjoy his stuff, just like I enjoy Christopherson, Shatel, McKewon, etc. I suppose you think it's cool to hate Sipple, but there is nothing to hate about this article.

Of course there is pressure to win at any big-time college program. There are many jobs that are pressure-packed, and many people that are worried about their jobs and their families for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean that you should just get used to it. Football coaches are human, too. They experience the same emotions as anyone else, and when a very vocal portion of the fanbase is basically telling you that you're no good and want you gone, it's going to have an effect on you. Any coach would feel that way. Tom Osborne felt that way on more than one occasion. He almost left for Colorado. Ron Brown mentioned in a recent story that Osborne was telling his staff to start looking for other jobs in the late 1980s/early 1990s because they weren't winning enough.

Here's my takeaway from the article:

That pretty much tells me what I need to know. You can spend your life trying to make everyone else happy, or you can spend your life trying to make yourself, your family, and those closest to you happy.

You are spot-on! I dislike Sipple way more than BO himself. Bo is very black and white, which I respect. Sipple kisses up to whoever is in the head coaches office to gain or retain direct access to the respective coach...and then flip-flops when the ship starts to sink (i.e. Callahan in 2007). All I am saying is be a journalist...don't just regurgitate what is told to you and write a column out of it.

I did not view the article as Sip trying to "shift the narrative". I viewed it as a part of what coaches experience in their life as a big time college football coach. nothing more.

He always kind of creeped me out.

Kind of? I still expect any day to find his pic on the front page with all sorts of sordid details of weird stuff he was into, ala Peewee Herman.

I actually worked at PBS back in the late 80's doing Master Control on the daytime shift and flipped the switch on many a Mr. Rogers episode! Something about those Pennsylvania guys and kids together that creeps me out. :Biggrin: Just kidding! RIP Fred

P.S. I took my oldest daughter into the studio one time and rolled tape of Zubilee Zoo (one of her favorites) and she was so floored and so adorable. Remember, it was the 80's so everything wasn't available on demand like it is today. :)

No one is talking about dirk and his reference to Kenny Bell not being tough?

thought that would garner some attention.

Because NU is the ONLY game in town (state) it's always going to be that way. There are no other diversions. It's not the fan's fault. Blame it on sparse population or geography.

Because NU is the ONLY game in town (state) it's always going to be that way. There are no other diversions. It's not the fan's fault. Blame it on sparse population or geography.

And some say there is no "fishbowl effect" in Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back