• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another side note. Husker Baseball is 18-6 and leading the Big Ten!

johnrr6

Lucky!
5 Year Member
Again, I know this is the football board and if anyone has a firm objection, I will stop posting this news.

But it’s just darn good news!

The Huskers are leading the Big Ten in Baseball with an 18-6 record. Having just swept Penn State three straight games at Penn State this weekend.

This weekend the third husker starter, Chance Hroch really found his groove and pitched his best game of the season. That gives Nebraska three very solid starting pitchers. And the other good news is that Max Schreiber pitched for one inning and struck out the side. Nebraska already has probably the best closer in the Big Ten in Spencer Schwellenbach, but if Max Schreiber were to get back to his old form...that would give Nebraska a wonderful boost with some additional relief options. Some of the other middle relievers are starting to solidify. Jake Bunz in particular. And the bats have stayed hot.

They play a wonderfully aggressive style of baseball......steal, hit and run, bunt a lot.... and we even have stolen home this year. Defense has been super solid. One young player today made a defensive play you ONLY see in MLB...Efry Cervantes. Looked like Manny Machado with the quick hands and then an effortless ROCKET to first from deep....DEEP in the hole. Amazing play.

Now it’s not always going to be like that. And baseball is such a streaky game. But we are almost at the halfway point of the season and I have to tell you....

I like what I see!

Keep the good vibe on the main board!!
With good reason there has been alot of negativity in the past on this board but right now for Husker athletics are the following:

-Really good reports coming out of spring football
-Baseball team leading the Big 10
-V-Ball in the elite 8
-Wrestling program one of the tops in Big 10 and in country
-Bowling team
-Men's gymnastics with a top four national finish
-Solid basketball recruiting class

I hope that this actually means something... my point is, the Big 10 baseball is flat out horrible, maybe 1 team in the lower part of the top 25.. anyway, hopefully we don't go into a regional and get blasted.

Freaking Big10 not allowing OOC games to be played. Hard to tell how good NU really is.

I hope that this actually means something... my point is, the Big 10 baseball is flat out horrible, maybe 1 team in the lower part of the top 25.. anyway, hopefully we don't go into a regional and get blasted.

Freaking Big10 not allowing OOC games to be played. Hard to tell how good NU really is.
I totally get what you are saying but it is not like we have been lighting up the big ten ourselves lately in baseball. It is nice to see us at the top for now and see where it leads. If we can consistently take he big ten like we all predicted then I will start worrying about the level of competition.

I totally get what you are saying but it is not like we have been lighting up the big ten ourselves lately in baseball. It is nice to see us at the top for now and see where it leads. If we can consistently take he big ten like we all predicted then I will start worrying about the level of competition.

my point was more.. taking the big 10 means nothing if you get blasted in the first regional game. which has been happening. To your point, we have to get there, so the best way is by winning the conference.. can't disagree with that.

my point was more.. taking the big 10 means nothing if you get blasted in the first regional game. which has been happening. To your point, we have to get there, so the best way is by winning the conference.. can't disagree with that.

While that has typically been the case, the Big Ten has been on something of an upswing in recent years. Michigan reached the World Series Finals last year and their have been more teams making Regionals. We'll see how it goes this season without having OOC games.

While that has typically been the case, the Big Ten has been on something of an upswing in recent years. Michigan reached the World Series Finals last year and their have been more teams making Regionals. We'll see how it goes this season without having OOC games.

it was 2019 actually.. but did you know that 2019 was the first time since 1984 they have been to the world series? 2013 was the only other more recent time a Big 10 team made an appearance in the World Series... Yep, twice.. before that? NU in 2005, which, as we know, NU was part of the big 12

Last edited:
Again, I know this is the football board and if anyone has a firm objection, I will stop posting this news.

But it’s just darn good news!

The Huskers are leading the Big Ten in Baseball with an 18-6 record. Having just swept Penn State three straight games at Penn State this weekend.

This weekend the third husker starter, Chance Hroch really found his groove and pitched his best game of the season. That gives Nebraska three very solid starting pitchers. And the other good news is that Max Schreiber pitched for one inning and struck out the side. Nebraska already has probably the best closer in the Big Ten in Spencer Schwellenbach, but if Max Schreiber were to get back to his old form...that would give Nebraska a wonderful boost with some additional relief options. Some of the other middle relievers are starting to solidify. Jake Bunz in particular. And the bats have stayed hot.

They play a wonderfully aggressive style of baseball......steal, hit and run, bunt a lot.... and we even have stolen home this year. Defense has been super solid. One young player today made a defensive play you ONLY see in MLB...Efry Cervantes. Looked like Manny Machado with the quick hands and then an effortless ROCKET to first from deep....DEEP in the hole. Amazing play.

Now it’s not always going to be like that. And baseball is such a streaky game. But we are almost at the halfway point of the season and I have to tell you....

I like what I see!
This program has NEVER gotten the attention it deserves. Well stated Bro!!!

@Huskerfan69

Well....I have watched a lot of college baseball over the years. The BiG‘s better teams I think can compete with anyone on any given day....

Buuut.....

It’s Baseball.....and if a team gets hot...it’s hot...and you are going to get schools like Coastal Carolina come out of freaking nowhere. And smaller schools can compete just fine.

Totally agree with you that forcing play strictly within the Big Ten absolutely hurts the league...and recruiting TREMENDOUSLY! Hopefully it’s only a temporary situation.

But overall...really since about 2010 when the BiG schools started to improve facilities...their quality of baseball has improved. Even as bad as Penn State is right now, they have some very young talent...and a very good facility. Minnesota and Illinois have had some very decent clubs over the years. Iowa is pretty solid, Maryland has not been as good as they were in the ACC but their Baseball is usually quite good. OSU is on the rise, Michigan State has a new, beautiful facility. Indiana has ALWAYS been very solid and lately Michigan has been the cream whom BTW that 2019 Nebraska team beat them 3 out of 5 times. I definitely think the addition of Nebraska and our beautiful facility, as well as the city of Omaha and the College World Series absolutely, absolutely enhances the Big Ten’s stature in College baseball.

it’s such a streaky, unpredictable game...I LOVE IT!

I’m just savoring it for what it is right now. A very positive situation!

@Huskerfan69

Well....I have watched a lot of college baseball over the years. The BiG‘s better teams I think can compete with anyone on any given day....

Buuut.....

It’s Baseball.....and if a team gets hot...it’s hot...and you are going to get schools like Coastal Carolina come out of freaking nowhere. And smaller schools can compete just fine.

Totally agree with you that forcing play strictly within the Big Ten absolutely hurts the league...and recruiting TREMENDOUSLY! Hopefully it’s only a temporary situation.

But overall...really since about 2010 when the BiG schools started to improve facilities...their quality of baseball has improved. Even as bad as Penn State is right now, they have some very young talent...and a very good facility. Minnesota and Illinois have had some very decent clubs over the years. Iowa is pretty solid, Maryland has not been as good as they were in the ACC but their Baseball is usually quite good. OSU is on the rise, Michigan State has a new, beautiful facility. Indiana has ALWAYS been very solid and lately Michigan has been the cream whom BTW that 2019 Nebraska team beat them 3 out of 5 times. I definitely think the addition of Nebraska and our beautiful facility, as well as the city of Omaha and the College World Series absolutely, absolutely enhances the Big Ten’s stature in College baseball.

it’s such a streaky, unpredictable game...I LOVE IT!

I’m just savoring it for what it is right now. A very positive situation!

I have watched and participated in baseball myself.. I was more a football guy, but played a decent amount of baseball when i was younger. Anyway, yeah, 52 years old and watch plenty of baseball myself.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back