• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

And now it starts, NIL teammate issues

Check out this brilliant idea from our left coast friends.

I’m not sure how they can justify paying players in some sports but not in others. This has title IX lawsuits written all over it.

I've been saying for awhile now athletes should be employees but I don't know how that solves NIL, since that is ostesibly separate from the school. Professional athletes endorsement money is outside the bounds of their sport, so it would be with college athletes and NIL.

I still think NIL is inconsistent with college athletics. Period.

It is not inconsistent with payers being paid to play but just not under the guise of being college athletes playing for good old Alma Mater.

It's professsional sports. Say so and let schools decide if they want to sponsor a professional team.

I’m not sure how they can justify paying players in some sports but not in others. This has title IX lawsuits written all over it.
Soon, you see way less sports at colleges. Mens and womens basketball, football, college softball. After that, yeah, good luck. This is how you avoid title IX issues.

Soon, you see way less sports at colleges. Mens and womens basketball, football, college softball. After that, yeah, good luck. This is how you avoid title IX issues.
Only as long as there is the case that NIL deals are based on some value the athlete brings to a business as its spokesman. I don't know anyone that believes that's what happening. It's going to be hard to avoid Title IX as long the universities are even peripherally involved and the collectives have to be seen as affiliated with the university. I suspect athletes will eventually be employees. It's about to get very complicated for a while.

Only as long as there is the case that NIL deals are based on some value the athlete brings to a business as its spokesman. I don't know anyone that believes that's what happening. It's going to be hard to avoid Title IX as long the universities are even peripherally involved and the collectives have to be seen as affiliated with the university. I suspect athletes will eventually be employees. It's about to get very complicated for a while.
You’re not avoiding it. You have to have equal sports for both. That’s why many may, or could be dropped. 4 men’s, 4 women’s instead of 9-13, depending on school.

I agree, it will get complicated. It already is to a degree. Honestly, no idea what will happen in the next 3-5 years, but things are changing quickly.

You’re not avoiding it. You have to have equal sports for both. That’s why many may, or could be dropped. 4 men’s, 4 women’s instead of 9-13, depending on school.

I agree, it will get complicated. It already is to a degree. Honestly, no idea what will happen in the next 3-5 years, but things are changing quickly.
It won't be equal sports. It will be equal number of opportunities. For men, it will likely only be football, basketball and maybe baseball. The men's Olympic sports are likely dead and they will probably only keep enough women's sports to balance the ledger, in my opinion.

yes it would unless the university splits of the sports teams to a non-education entity. no longer part of a educational system, title IX is eliminated. also eliminated is all non-revenue sports, but thats the point of pay for play professional model.

It won't be equal sports. It will be equal number of opportunities. For men, it will likely only be football, basketball and maybe baseball. The men's Olympic sports are likely dead and they will probably only keep enough women's sports to balance the ledger, in my opinion.
I was under the impression that if you offer 9 sports for men, you had to offer 9 sports for women? Maybe I’m misunderstood.

I was under the impression that if you offer 9 sports for men, you had to offer 9 sports for women? Maybe I’m misunderstood.
No, its numbers.
They cut back some mens teams because of numbers, as it increases the likelihood of more womens sports to be able to increase mens numbers as well.
Its called equity based.
I think its wrong headed, has created in many instances, go big or go home, meaning smaller colleges have had to cut back.

Last edited:

No. It's about the number of scholarships. Football is a big scholly sport which is why universities currently offer more women's sports than men's.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back