• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

An enjoyable and understandable book on statistics

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
Just finished Data Detective, a book exploring and explaining statistics in an understandable and enjoyable way. Tim Harford is the author, the same author that sold over a million copies of his book The Undercover Economist. It's fun to read and every ten pages or so will provide you with an "AHA" moment. I only read it because it is the next book to be discussed in my book group, but I'm certainly glad I did. He provides ten separate chapters each on a point that you should think about when you see a statistic being used to make someone's point, whether in headlines in print media, all caps in some social media, or shouted out at the coffee table in your local cafe. I thought I was curious about statistics as a matter of course, but he provides further insight into their creation, their use and misuse, and their immense value if used honestly for the purpose for which they were created. It's about 270 pages and written in a styled designed for those not expert in statistics. He has a clever wit.

It is not a political book in any partisan sense - he's a Brit and a couple of years ago got an OBE for services contributing to a better understanding of economics.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back