• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Amtrak Train from Denver to Lincoln?

Husker307

Recruit
5 Year Member
Does anybody have any positive/negative experiences taking the train from Denver to Lincoln for gameday? I was playing with the idea of leaving Denver Friday night and arriving early Saturday morning. As well as leaving Lincoln at mid-night and arriving back in Denver Sunday morning.

Does anybody have any positive/negative experiences taking the train from Denver to Lincoln for gameday? I was playing with the idea of leaving Denver Friday night and arriving early Saturday morning. As well as leaving Lincoln at mid-night and arriving back in Denver Sunday morning.
When I was in college, I had an internship in denver, and i made that trek a few times.

It was cheaper than flying, and the hours in either direction were mostly sleeping hours anyway, so you wouldnt "lose" that much awake time. The seats weren't that comfortable to sleep soundly in, but still roomier than what you'd get on a plane. The whole process seemed calmer/easier than flying.

But this was almost 30 yrs ago, so the experience might be different now. Hell, the station/platforms I used in lincoln are gone now, and even the tracks have been moved. The Haymarket was a scarier place back then.

Last edited:
I've no personal experience with this Amtrak leg, but I have looked into it to go skiing.

As I recall, it was as expensive as flying, if you bought a sleeping berth/room.

I can't sleep sitting up, so that was option I had to have.

I've no personal experience with this Amtrak leg, but I have looked into it to go skiing.

As I recall, it was as expensive as flying, if you bought a sleeping berth/room.

I can't sleep sitting up, so that was option I had to have.

Although the train seats do recline a little more than plane seats. But any comfort you gain for a sounder sleep is mitigated by the slightly rougher ride and additional stops...I think there were just a couple/few between Lincoln and denver

Last edited:

If I go to NY for business from DC I never fly anymore. NO 2 hours early, No taking off your shoes, Use your phone and or computer the whole way. get up and walk around all you want. buy food in the dining car. Way better experience IMO.

Amtrak blows. You have a definite event. That line has something go wrong all the time. It isn't like a commuter train between Chicago and St. Louis that runs 5 times a day. You've got one shot a day on the Zephyr. Return is fine if you have nothing else going on. Getting there on time? who knows. you can look a trends and how they have been doing, but my delays on the zephyr include:
Derailments
Tornado/weather
Hit Cattle
Hit People
Medical Emergency
Drug searches
Naked Lady hopped up on drugs
Also, you are low priority, have to sit and weight if B&N wants their train moving.

I have bad luck on Amtrak. Might work well. Might cause you to miss the whole game, and give you a chance to have one of the above stories for yourself. Odds are it happens somewhere else and you don't even get to witness the fun.

Amtrak blows. You have a definite event. That line has something go wrong all the time. It isn't like a commuter train between Chicago and St. Louis that runs 5 times a day. You've got one shot a day on the Zephyr. Return is fine if you have nothing else going on. Getting there on time? who knows. you can look a trends and how they have been doing, but my delays on the zephyr include:
Derailments
Tornado/weather
Hit Cattle
Hit People
Medical Emergency
Drug searches
Also, you are low priority, have to sit and weight if B&N wants their train moving.

I have bad luck on Amtrak. Might work well. Might cause you to miss the whole game, and give you a chance to have one of the above stories for yourself. Odds are it happens somewhere else and you don't even get to witness the fun.

One thing we need to clear up right away here.
Was she hot?

I've heard nothing but bad reviews. It is super loud making it impossible to sleep. The train arrived in Lincoln 2 hours late at 530 am. And there are no cabs at those hours In Lincoln so you better find a real good friend

"Odds are it happens somewhere else and you don't even get to witness the fun."

I got the delay, and didn't have to risk injury to my sensibilities.

Last edited:
I've heard nothing but bad reviews. It is super loud making it impossible to sleep. The train arrived in Lincoln 2 hours late at 530 am. And there are no cabs at those hours In Lincoln so you better find a real good friend

usually MOST days was on time. And I hate air terminals since TSA madness

4ac3e868712b5fbda4fa0a84dc6bef70.jpg

worth the minimum wage ! ;)

Last edited:

I have made this trip a few times. Not a bad trip really. The seats for sleeping are a little uncomfortable, but if you're tired you can sleep. I kind of like doing the night game thing. Just drink a lot (lol) and hop back on that train and you will have no problem sleeping. It is a fairly painless trip especially if you don't want to make that drive.

It stops in Fort Morgan, McCook, Holdrege on way to Lincoln. Not overly comfortable as the seats are pretty well shot. I imagine it stops in the Haymarket area.

Pal I took the midnight train to Georgia once and then found out we were not playing them until the following week

Derailments
Tornado/weather
Hit Cattle
Hit People
Medical Emergency
Drug searches

I work for Union Pacific RR and I wouldn't take the train if I had to be somewhere at a definite time. Or plan to arrive a day early. If anything goes wrong with your train or any trains ahead of you you will be sitting for hours steaming mad about missing the game. There's just too many things that can go wrong IMHO.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back