• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Am I delusional to be optimistic about the Huskers?

I might be wrong, but I really like the way the defense played 1st 2 games, special teams played great 1st game, ok yesterday. Offense bad, but rushed the ball pretty good against Colorado. A lot of people are dissing our o-line as terrible, but I saw them create some huge holes in the run game that I haven’t seen in a long time. Even though those 2 losses were terrible, we might not be that far off. We need a new qb obviously, a receiver or 2, and a little patience! GBR !!!

I think we will probably beat Northern Illinois.
I think we will beat Louisiana Tech.
I think we might beat Northwestern.

I think those are our best chances. The others look like losses.

I suspect 2023 will be a rough one overall.

I do believe we'll get better as the year goes on and year two will be better. Look at the youth on the roster and how much of it is positively contributing already. We've got holes to fill on offense, but I do believe this staff can make it happen.

I wanted a bowl game this year and I don't see that happening.

Another heartbreaking loss that the Huskers could have won. They were driving in the third quarter only down 14-7. But then offensive errors spiraled out of control. That led to the defense being on the field too long.

But I am optimistic.

The defense is clearly better than last year. Period! They stifled Minnesota's run game and sacked CU QB Sanders 8 times!

The offense is error prone and inconsistent. But I applaud Rhule's commitment to the run, the fullback, and the tight end. They will improve over the course of the season as they get used to the new system.

Finally, let's give the Huskers a break. They drew 2 qualify opponents ON THE ROAD to start the season with a brand-new offense and defense.

Taking on Colorado at altitude with an inconsistent offense was particularly problematic. The altitude makes a bigger difference in the 4rth quarter than people realize. So, if the defense is on the field too long, the altitude causes them to collapse.

Coming up are two decent but lesser opponents (Northern Illinois and Louisiana Tech) at home! I think Rhule gets the errors fixed and wins both.

Michigan is my pick for national champion, so I don't think the Huskers will win that one. But after Michigan, having watched most of the other teams on TV, all the remaining teams look beatable to me.

Illinois got clobbered by Kansas. Northwestern has issues. Purdue is re-building. Michigan State and Maryland haven't played a quality opponent yet. Wisconsin just lost to Washington State. Iowa is good but we play them at home.

I'm not saying the Huskers WILL beat the rest of the slate except Michigan. I am saying that I like what I've seen so far despite the losses. A winning season and bowl game are still possible! If I'm right and we go to a bowl game, that will be a big step forward from the last coaching staff.

Am I delusional? Let me have it.
I think we are close to being a good team. The question still is about the coaching. Can they fix it?

We have heard now from several coaches similar word after similar games…I really hope Rhule and staff are the ones to carry thru.

Last edited:
I’m mostly optimistic but I’m a glass half full guy. I like teh looks of the defense so far and the amount of players getting time and involved. I think the game of football has changed so much offensively that you need a stud QB to be any good. If you have one you can be pretty good with having a consistently good defense.

Dabo looked like greatest thing with Trevor Lawrence and has since struggled. Alabamas new QB had a bad pick six last night that really helped turn that game. Teams are all pretty good now that there is little room for constant mistakes.

Another heartbreaking loss that the Huskers could have won. They were driving in the third quarter only down 14-7. But then offensive errors spiraled out of control. That led to the defense being on the field too long.

But I am optimistic.

The defense is clearly better than last year. Period! They stifled Minnesota's run game and sacked CU QB Sanders 8 times!

The offense is error prone and inconsistent. But I applaud Rhule's commitment to the run, the fullback, and the tight end. They will improve over the course of the season as they get used to the new system.

Finally, let's give the Huskers a break. They drew 2 qualify opponents ON THE ROAD to start the season with a brand-new offense and defense.

Taking on Colorado at altitude with an inconsistent offense was particularly problematic. The altitude makes a bigger difference in the 4rth quarter than people realize. So, if the defense is on the field too long, the altitude causes them to collapse.

Coming up are two decent but lesser opponents (Northern Illinois and Louisiana Tech) at home! I think Rhule gets the errors fixed and wins both.

Michigan is my pick for national champion, so I don't think the Huskers will win that one. But after Michigan, having watched most of the other teams on TV, all the remaining teams look beatable to me.

Illinois got clobbered by Kansas. Northwestern has issues. Purdue is re-building. Michigan State and Maryland haven't played a quality opponent yet. Wisconsin just lost to Washington State. Iowa is good but we play them at home.

I'm not saying the Huskers WILL beat the rest of the slate except Michigan. I am saying that I like what I've seen so far despite the losses. A winning season and bowl game are still possible! If I'm right and we go to a bowl game, that will be a big step forward from the last coaching staff.

Am I delusional? Let me have it.
Still possible 9W-3L. But I don't trust HCMR .... yet.

Illinois got clobbered by Kansas. Northwestern has issues. Purdue is re-building. Michigan State and Maryland haven't played a quality opponent yet. Wisconsin just lost to Washington State. Iowa is good but we play them at home

Next, N.Illinois who loss to FCS Southern Illinois (at Huskies Stadium). Still worried about this game. Last meeting .......

Anyway, flip-flop guy .... one day, optimistic, another day, pessimistic.

I know Husker curse will continued .......

Last edited:

It’s a good time for the team and staff to head back to Lincoln and reassess all things related to the offense. I had no expectations for year one, but the frustrating thing during the Minnesota game was that I thought the team had adjusted well after half, and then when they had all the momentum, you begin to really believe and get your heart into it. It begins to feel like a catharsis or a corner being turned. Then you lose in the same fashion as usual.
After that, you think that there will be a big improvement between weeks 1 and 2 (as it has been said). To beat Nebraska, all you need to do is stack the run block and dare the quarterback to beat you passing. Does that sound familiar? It should. It’s every quarterback for Nebraska since maybe Joe Ganz?

I love your optimism, and for the most part, I agree. There’s lots to like so far from the defense. I think they’ll give us a fighting chance in every game. White was a great hire. On offense, I have a glimmer of hope, because the run game has shown some signs of life. But unless the quarterback(whoever it is) can start to make some passes, and cut down on the turnovers, then it won’t matter. I know everyone is tired of the same lines from press conferences, but I have faith in Rhule. He’s a different animal than Frost or Riley.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back