• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Abdullah, Enunwa and Greory get team MVP awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hockey the coaches I played under would tell the team, captains needed to be chosen. Coaches would leave, and come back and ask who are my captains.

Herb Brooks best coach in any sport was a master of bring out the best in players. There was a reason he took some players that played for him at MN and then chose players from Boston. THose 2 teams hated each other back them. Now they had to play with each other. That is how leaders are born.
Mike E of that team was chosen to be captain by teammates and he was one of the few that were not drafted by the NHL. THis day ask who was the heart of the team?

Wonder what would happen if Bo allowed leaders to be born rather than leaders chosen to be leaders by him...huge mistake

The coach would leave the room and come back and ask who the captains are?.......:lol:......sorry that's just funny to me. Reminds me of the game we use to play in 2nd grade called "Heads Up 7 Up". I'm not sure how a popularity contest breads leaders more than a coach seeing what he has in each of his players after evaluation and seeing who is the leader of his team.

Another board that started with the intent to congratulate our players for a job well done this year, spiraling into another cat fight on it's way to be locked.......wow.

No need for it but there are those who want to stifle free speech and opinions that don't go in lockstep around here. They attack any differing post. Quite comical I'd say.

Last edited:
Can you link to an explanation of the captain selection process?

It's incredible the narratives that are simply invented by people and then taken as gospel truth.

I didnt event even though you would like to think that

Perhaps those four have been determined to have reached a higher standard than the rest of the players and that by designating them as leaders with an official title, Bo Pelini has made it clear to the other players that theirs is the example he expects everyone to follow.

when captains are chosen by the players they are telling the coaches these are the players we as a team look up to will fight for. Bo tell them this is who I choose you to follow...that alone causes resentment. That would be like saying all teammates like each other. As I gave that example they dont. Boston and MN HATED each other. The coach made sure there were players from each team chosen for the team to try out. What kind of competition do you think that alone created?

http://www.cornnation.com/2013/6/7/4407330/nebraska-pelini-team-captains-martinez-long-evans-enunwa

So I didnt invent the process of what BO thinks best

Here's a link from June '13:

For the first time during his tenure as Nebraska coach, Bo Pelini has named team captains before the season.

Previously under Pelini, the Huskers had selected captains from offense, defense and special teams for each game. At the end of the season, they voted on their season captains.

That's changing for 2013. Pelini has named four seniors -- quarterback Taylor Martinez, defensive back Ciante Evans, offensive lineman Spencer Long and receiver Quincy Enunwa -- as captains for this full season.

The move was first reported by former Nebraska player and radio broadcaster Matt Davison. A team official later confirmed it to ESPN.com.

Note that Martinez, Evans, Long and Enunwa were appointed for the season.

Note that the article does not say how they were appointed (it could have been selection by coaches, it could have been vote by the team).

Note that previously, captains were selected by team vote at the end of the year.

Now note that the following additional captains were named the other night: Abdullah and Anrkah.

These may have been appointed by the coaches, but were likely selected by team vote.

So, again, I ask people like CT, what's your issue with this process (which is in fact a process we don't have much insight into)?

In hockey the coaches I played under would tell the team, captains needed to be chosen. Coaches would leave, and come back and ask who are my captains.

Herb Brooks best coach in any sport was a master of bring out the best in players. There was a reason he took some players that played for him at MN and then chose players from Boston. THose 2 teams hated each other back them. Now they had to play with each other. That is how leaders are born.
Mike E of that team was chosen to be captain by teammates and he was one of the few that were not drafted by the NHL. THis day ask who was the heart of the team?

Wonder what would happen if Bo allowed leaders to be born rather than leaders chosen to be leaders by him...huge mistake

The best way to do it...the players know who the real leaders are and it is not always the coaches' favorites.

Last edited:
1. Where is the attack.....stop being so emotional. You don't need my permission to keep posting.......have at it. I never stated you should stop.
2. You are wrong.....ranks aren't given by superiors? Then who gives them. How does a Master Sergeant become First Sergeant. Does another Master Sergeant promote him? Gunnery Sergeant? Staff Sergeant?
3. And what did I "refer" to you as?

Being called "something" is an attack in my book. Why not use "someone"? Why call me "something"? That is normal for you; to refer to people as "something"?

Correct; ranks aren't given by superiors. Ranks are earned. A certain portion of officers can be promoted to the next higher rank and they compete for those promotions. Higher ranking officers sit on promotion boards and rate the candidate pool. Those selected get promoted. They are not given their rank by a superior directly in their chain of command as a coach is directly in the chain of command of a player. Enlisted personnel up to E7 I believe take tests. If they score high enough on the test and there are enough vacancies in the service they are promoted. E7, 8 and 9 have a system similar to officers but I may be wrong in that. But in any case no superior walks in and says, "Here you are a captain."

Last edited:
No need for it but there are those who want to stifle free speech and opinions that don't go in lockstep around here. They attack any differing post.

I'm all for free speech but lately it seems as though everyone has issues with everyone's right to free speech. Then you have those who believe every response that doesn't agree or questions their view is an attack of some sort. This thread is slowly showcasing both of those aspects.

I'm looking at the title of the thread and as early as the thread post the thread is being directed away from the players and their accomplishments.

when captains are chosen by the players they are telling the coaches these are the players we as a team look up to will fight for. Bo tell them this is who I choose you to follow...that alone causes resentment. That would be like saying all teammates like each other. As I gave that example they dont. Boston and MN HATED each other. The coach made sure there were players from each team chosen for the team to try out. What kind of competition do you think that alone created?

http://www.cornnation.com/2013/6/7/4407330/nebraska-pelini-team-captains-martinez-long-evans-enunwa

So you are suggesting that Bo just randomly picks players that he likes as captains rather than seeing how those player are responded to by their peers? Wow. The those process on a message board is highly entertaining to say the least.

The coach would leave the room and come back and ask who the captains are?.......:lol:......sorry that's just funny to me. Reminds me of the game we use to play in 2nd grade called "Heads Up 7 Up". I'm not sure how a popularity contest breads leaders more than a coach seeing what he has in each of his players after evaluation and seeing who is the leader of his team.

Funny worked for Herb Brooks throughout his career. Teams I played for same thing. I would vote for people I didn't even get along with cause I knew they would be best for the team.

As a football player I'm going to look for a players that puts it on the line every game. TM more times than not goes and sits on the bench, he seems uninvolved when not playing. And as a team leader. He is hurt and he is shown sitting on the bench....yep great leader you chose there.

Like going into any battle. I have mentioned before that the officer in charge of our unit meant very little when a fire fight started. Leaders were born and took the lead even to the point of telling the officer...they would do better by bringing up the rear.

Read your link and it is exactly what I'm talking about: pure editorial creationism.

Jon Johnston quotes exactly 1 source (another media member's twitter announcement), which read: "For 1st time in the Bo Pelini Era at NU the #Huskers have team captains for the season. Congrats to Martinez, S Long, Enunwa, and C Evans."

JJ jumped to the conclusion taht the captains were designated by Bo, but I can't find any primary source that says that's the case.

So again, you are criticizing based on an assumption, at best.

Being called "something" is an attack in my book. Why not use "someone"? Why call me "something"? That is normal for you; to refer to people as "something"?

Correct; ranks aren't given by superiors. Ranks are earned. A certain portion of officers can be promoted to the next higher rank and they compete for those promotions. Higher ranking officers sit on promotion boards and rate the candidate pool. Those selected get promoted. They are not given their rank by a superior directly in their chain of command as a coach is directly in the chain of command of a player. Enlisted personnel up to E7 I believe take tests. If they score high enough on the test and there are enough vacancies in the service they are promoted. E7, 8 and 9 have a system similar to officers but I may be wrong in that. But in any case no superior walks in and says, "Here you are a captain."

So, to sum up, superiors determine who is promoted and given command positions.

Glad we are in agreement.

By dictated, I mean the evaluations you receive from your superiors is often the factor in whether you are promoted.

And command appointments, which would be similar to selecting captains for a FB team, are appointed by superiors.

In any case, does anyone know Bo's process for appointing captains? Do you think he gets input from assistants and players? Does anyone think a different set of players should have been awarded captain?

Finally, I thought these end of year captains were voted by the team... so if they align with the coaches appointed list, then it would seem the coaches' process worked.

Does anyone have any article actually explaining how the captain thing works? Seems like a lot of people are making assumptions based on third hand knowledge.

And clearly, that group includes YOU.

So, to sum up, superiors determine who is promoted and given command positions.

Glad we are in agreement.

yes but the leaders are chosen by team who they will follow.

It took a leader to tell those in many command positions to shove it...You and your stupidity will not get us all killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back