• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked A National Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

I never knew that Nebraska was considered part of the upper Midwest. Since Amarillo is about as far from Lincoln as it is from Austin (as the crow flies), I always kinda considered it part of the south. :eek:

Not from around here lol.
Just kidding. They say that Kansas is right smack in the middle of the country. We are just a bit north of them. The very reason that the CWS has been in Omaha so long. It's easy for everyone to get here. The national swim trials are going on right now in Omaha. Phelps is on our news continually this week right after the college world series highlights.

The Mason Dixon line is down in Missouri and Nebraska fought for the Union during the Civil War. Not too many Y'alls up here. Omaha once was the last stop for Anchor men before they moved to New York and the big time. There is no obvious dialect give aways here and guys like Floyd Calver and Brokaw got tuned up before they went national here. They say that Nebraska is a perfect fit for the Big 10 and all the norther schools in the league.

The perfect tell is how well the people drive in blizzards. We get a good laugh when we see southerners try to drive in snow and we get our share come December through February. We do import a lot of speed from down south and are very happy to get um. We love to travel south come bowl time in January. For myself however I consider Nebraska in the middle of down home America and the national brand title fits pretty darn good. The recruits come from coast to coast and even a Samoan or two. We have Korean blood at offensive guard. The walkon on program fits that national brand as well. They come from everywhere as we are an equal opportunity football program. We even had a deaf All-American once. Middle America works for me but if you prefer southern go with it, as we welcome yall . LOL

Last edited:

Not from around here lol.
Just kidding. They say that Kansas is right smack in the middle of the country. We are just a bit north of them. The very reason that the CWS has been in Omaha so long. It's easy for everyone to get here. The national swim trials are going on right now in Omaha. Phelps is on our news continually this week right after the college world series highlights.

The Mason Dixon line is down in Missouri and Nebraska fought for the Union during the Civil War. Not too many Y'alls up here. Omaha once was the last stop for Anchor men before they moved to New York and the big time. There is no obvious dialect give aways here and guys like Floyd Calver and Brokaw got tuned up before they went national here. They say that Nebraska is a perfect fit for the Big 10 and all the norther schools in the league.

The perfect tell is how well the people drive in blizzards. We get a good laugh when we see southerners try to drive in snow and we get our share come December through February. We do import a lot of speed from down south and are very happy to get um. We love to travel south come bowl time in January. For myself however I consider Nebraska in the middle of down home America and the national brand title fits pretty darn good. The recruits come from coast to coast and even a Samoan or two. We have Korean blood at offensive guard. The walkon on program fits that national brand as well. They come from everywhere as we are an equal opportunity football program. We even had a deaf All-American once. Middle America works for me but if you prefer southern go with it, as we welcome yall . LOL

Quit stalling and make your point. :Biggrin:

Actually, the unoffical "Mason Dixon" line in Nebraska was the Platte River; many folks south of the Platte were solidly pro-Confederacy.

This from Wiki...

After much of the territory south of the Platte considered annexation to Kansas, the legislature voted to move the capital south of the river and as far west as possible. The village of Lancaster was chosen, in part due to the salt flats and marshes.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Omaha interests attempted to derail the move by having Lancaster renamed after the recently assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. Many of the people south of the river had been sympathetic to the Confederate cause in the recently concluded Civil War, and it was assumed that the legislature would not pass the measure if the future capital were named after Lincoln. The ploy did not work, as Lancaster was renamed Lincoln and became the state capital upon Nebraska's admission to the Union on March 1, 1867.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] The choice to name the capital city "Lincoln" caused quite a stir among constituents, whose sentiments were mixed regarding who should have won the Civil War.[SUP][5][/SUP]

I grew up solidly N of the Platte, and personally hope my work never makes me need to consider a location that flirts with or anything S. of the Mason Dixon.

Last edited:
Masondixon.jpeg

Never saw a map that had the Mason Dixon line anywhere around Nebraska. I Googled it and found a dozen maps and none of them had it anywhere close. Most had it on the southern border of Kansas.

But if that is what it takes to bring some southern speed up here. I say Yall come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back