• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked A look at the way Suh plays from a former monster of the midway

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the argument I dont get. Comparing what happens in a football game with fully padded men to drunk driving or any other crime is an extention of the wussification of society. In my view, football is an outlet - a relatively safe outlet.

Also, the reason that the NFL career is 3.3 years has to do with new players coming in...and after 3.3 years they can use their college education for another job - there should be no guarantee that once you are out of school you stay in that profession for life - especially football players.

You missed the point....yes, not a comparable example, but, the point remains. What was typical 20 years ago whether in a given sport or outside of that is perhaps not so typical or completely different today. My point, a rather simple one is that norms change.

There should be no argument, however, that with the increase in size and speed, the pressure to keep players in the game (money) the game is more dangerous. Impact is greater and injury more prevalent despite improvements in equipment. In fact, some suggest improvments in equipment have created more injuries (for complex reasons) So, as far as your suggestion that injury is not part of why the careers are so short is not supported by people in the field, particularly the NFL Players Association.

The idea that the reason careers are so short is "because of new players coming in" doesn't quite tell the whole story.

Why is a guy just coming into the league a better option than a 3-4-5 year vet? Lots of times it's because of the wear and tear on the vet. Guys don't leave the league because of a single major injury any more. Remember the idea of "career threatening" knee injury? With advances in medicine guys rip up a knee and they are back the next year. Look at running backs. But the constant wear and tear diminishes skills. I've heard more than a few football people talk about how there is a limited number of "carries in a guy's tank". Obviously, there are exceptions but generally speaking RB take a beating in the NFL. THAT is why the new guy is pushing the old guy out. That is why careers are short...because their bodies are abused. That's why the new guys are able to come in and take over.

It's the main reason why I don't begrudge NFL players holding out and forcing renegotiation of contracts. Contracts in the NBA and MLB are basically guaranteed. A guy like Carl Pavano can collect $40M over 4 years and hardly play. A guy like Chris Johnson? Bust up a knee and the NFL team can simply release him. I find it hilarious when people say rag on an NFL play saying "You signed a contract...honor it." Why should they. The owners don't have to honor it.

Last edited:
Bilsker, I agree that the "new guy" coming in to take the job is not the whole story, and you did a great job discussing the injury aspect of why the new guy has an advantage. Injuries play a huge part in limiting careers. That's one of the reasons why the players' association doesn't want the season to be extended. Sixteen regular season games is enough, and takes a huge toll on the bodies of the players.

Another part of the story is one that I alluded to regarding backup positions. The majority of NFL players are backup players. Sure, we know many of the stars, and they stay in the league for numerous years, but the backups shuffle through the NFL rather quickly, and that's a big reason why the average is so low. Many of those backups are in the league for one or two years. For every ten-year veteran, there are numerous one- and two-year guys. Those guys, even though they haven't played much, if at all, and are not injured, have a much harder time competing with the young newly drafted, or newly signed, players. That can greatly skew the stats regarding average length of time spent in the pros. And that, highlights the need for rules regarding safety in the league. The players that are good enough to start, will have much longer careers, and will take a significantly greater amount of poundings in practice and in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back