• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked A little surprised......

Status
Not open for further replies.

You thought the Big 10 would have a winning bowl record?:confused:

Last edited:
You thought the Big 10 would have a winning bowl record?:confused:

And the conference coming into the bowl season ranked #1 by multiple computer rankings (and admittedly not playing the toughest bowl schedule) would not?

Last edited:

The Pac 12 and the SEC are the best conferences top to bottom. I don't put a ton of stock in bowl records, but they bear that out nonetheless. That said, the Big Ten isn't quite as abysmal as its most vocal critics would lead you to believe. There is talent everywhere. QB play, as usual, makes all the difference. OU's QB played the game of his life last night.

If he did, he is probably the only one.

I thought they would...

I certainly expected Mich St to win... not because of the D but because I think Cook has turned into a great young QB.

I most certainly expected Minnesota to roll... they still should have won had they actually coached their punter not to outkick his coverage with a 57 yard bomb when there was less than 2 minutes to go...

I think Ohio State has a better than 50% chance of beating Clemson tonight..

I thought 1 or 2 of Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin or Iowa would get a win... Nebraska did...

Wisconsin made errors but had significant chances in that game...

Last edited:
The Pac 12 and the SEC are the best conferences top to bottom. I don't put a ton of stock in bowl records, but they bear that out nonetheless. That said, the Big Ten isn't quite as abysmal as its most vocal critics would lead you to believe. There is talent everywhere. QB play, as usual, makes all the difference. OU's QB played the game of his life last night.

Agree.

So far perhaps the following can be drawn from the bowls to date about the conferences:

1. SEC: not as strong as the TV loudmouths tried to lead us to believe, but rather they are still at or near the top, but as the computers suggested, there is little to no gap from SEC to PAC, and then only a minor drop to B-10, B-12 this season.

2. PAC: Despite 6-3, they underperformed a little, considering that their strength of bowl opponents was less than that of a couple other conferences.

3. Big Ten: Their losing record notwithstanding (their bowl tie-ins are the toughest in the land), the conference performed right about where the computers had them: tied for third best with Big 12, with a bit of a gap up to the SEC and PAC. The Big Ten almost certainly out-performed what the talking heads and out-of-conference fans probably expected, even in some of their defeats. An OSU win tonight would cement that.

4. Big 12: IMHO, showed themselves to be just about right per the computers. However, if Baylor had not inexplicably laid that egg, I would say the Big 12 would have shown themselves to be a clear #3 this season.

5. ACC, AAC, etc.: No one cares and I am tired of writing this post.

Edit: I forgot that I wanted to add that I agree that the bowls are one indicator of conference strength, but not the best indicator of conference strength; but it is fun to analyze.

Last edited:

I thought they would...

I certainly expected Mich St to win... not because of the D but because I think Cook has turned into a great young QB.

I most certainly expected Minnesota to roll... they still should have won had they actually coached their punter not to outkick his coverage with a 57 yard bomb when there was less than 2 minutes to go...

I think Ohio State has a better than 50% chance of beating Clemson tonight..

I thought 1 or 2 of Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin or Iowa would get a win... Nebraska did...

Wisconsin made errors but had significant chances in that game...

I thought Minnesota was a lock and that Michigan State had a 50/50 chance. Mainly because MSU matches up well with Stanford. I still think MSU is highly over rated.

Wisconsin had as many chances at winning as Georgia did. Neither did.

Nebraska was the biggest surprise for me and I am happy about that.

I thought only Michigan had a bad match up!

I thought we would win!

I thought Iowa matched up well with LSU

I thought Wisky had to play well to win 60-40%

I thought MSU would win a dog fight and they actually won a decent game!

I thought Minn would win easily

I think OSU wins!

I thought 5-2 or 4-3 in bowls and honestly we were close as a conference to doing just that!

I get sick of the national media (esp. Mark May) talking trash about the B1G, but I guess it wasn't way off based on conf. winning %.

Last edited:
Agree.

So far perhaps the following can be drawn from the bowls to date about the conferences:

1. SEC: not as strong as the TV loudmouths tried to lead us to believe, but rather they are still at or near the top, but as the computers suggested, there is little to no gap from SEC to PAC, and then only a minor drop to B-10, B-12 this season.

2. PAC: Despite 6-3, they underperformed a little, considering that their strength of bowl opponents was less than that of a couple other conferences.

3. Big Ten: Their losing record notwithstanding (their bowl tie-ins are the toughest in the land), the conference performed right about where the computers had them: tied for third best with Big 12, with a bit of a gap up to the SEC and PAC. The Big Ten almost certainly out-performed what the talking heads and out-of-conference fans probably expected, even in some of their defeats. An OSU win tonight would cement that.

4. Big 12: IMHO, showed themselves to be just about right per the computers. However, if Baylor had not inexplicably laid that egg, I would say the Big 12 would have shown themselves to be a clear #3 this season.

5. ACC, AAC, etc.: No one cares and I am tired of writing this post.

Edit: I forgot that I wanted to add that I agree that the bowls are one indicator of conference strength, but not the best indicator of conference strength; but it is fun to analyze.

Solid analysis all the way around. Totally agree. None of the "big 5" have laid an egg and everyone seems to playing about where the computers would expect.

I thought Minnesota was a lock and that Michigan State had a 50/50 chance. Mainly because MSU matches up well with Stanford. I still think MSU is highly over rated.

Wisconsin had as many chances at winning as Georgia did. Neither did.

Nebraska was the biggest surprise for me and I am happy about that.

I agree, MSU matched up very well with Stanford in a slugfest. I don't think they would have contained Oregon, and certainly not Auburn or FSU.

at the conference bowl records to this point.

The pac-12 and B1G surprise me I though this might be the other way around but I'm a little biased.

Only OSU left to play and the B1G cant finish with a winning bowl record.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=10235708

When I looked at the matchups for the B1G, I thought we could really go either way. MSU was going to have a battle with a very good Stanford team. OSU has a tough one against Clemson. I did think Iowa could get LSU, but a bone head play here and there kept them out of the W column. Same could be said for Wiscy, who was in trouble as soon as their QB went down. Honestly, I was really disappointed in Minnesota. I had them beating Syracuse for sure, but they didn't look sharp. Michigan, well, they just stunk it up. I think that needs to keep us all grounded when we consider our win against them, as they were just not a good team this year. I think Hoke will get it rolling, but he may need to make a coaching change or two in the offseason.

I do like what Stoops had to say in his interview on ESPN this morning. His point was Mizzou and A&M were making plenty of noise in the SEC this season and they weren't known as dominant teams in the Big 12, so maybe we need to stop the gushing over the SEC and recognize there are other conferences with plenty of talent out there. Of course most will say that is the Big 12 and Pac 12, but another win tonight by OSU might make more believers in the B1G as a good conference again.

I went 5-2. I needed Minn to win and thought Michigan had it figured out and a healthy Gardner. I'll pull for OSU as I dislike Clemson more but Meyer better have his team ready to go.

When I looked at the matchups for the B1G, I thought we could really go either way. MSU was going to have a battle with a very good Stanford team. OSU has a tough one against Clemson. I did think Iowa could get LSU, but a bone head play here and there kept them out of the W column. Same could be said for Wiscy, who was in trouble as soon as their QB went down. Honestly, I was really disappointed in Minnesota. I had them beating Syracuse for sure, but they didn't look sharp. Michigan, well, they just stunk it up. I think that needs to keep us all grounded when we consider our win against them, as they were just not a good team this year. I think Hoke will get it rolling, but he may need to make a coaching change or two in the offseason.

I do like what Stoops had to say in his interview on ESPN this morning. His point was Mizzou and A&M were making plenty of noise in the SEC this season and they weren't known as dominant teams in the Big 12, so maybe we need to stop the gushing over the SEC and recognize there are other conferences with plenty of talent out there. Of course most will say that is the Big 12 and Pac 12, but another win tonight by OSU might make more believers in the B1G as a good conference again.

Nice entrance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back