• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked A decade later: Did we gravitate to mediocrity?

Which one?

• We are way above mediocre

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • We are slightly above mediocre

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • We are the definition of mediocre

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • In 10 more years we will be lucky to be mediocre

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't these the very expectations that Bo himself has expressed? -- championships? at each level?

Last edited:

Mediocre?! Nah, we're just on the verge of something here...consistent at 9-3 means we're pretty close to perfection. Having an winning percentage of 75% is nothing to be ashamed of. Let's get used to this new conference for awhile and see what happens.

Mediocre?! Nah, we
're just on the verge of something here...consistent at 9-3 means we're pretty close to perfection. Having an winning percentage of 75% is nothing to be ashamed of. Let's get used to this new conference for awhile and see what happens.

8-5 isn't closer to perfection.

It's simply beautiful the way you have controlled this thread, Weatherman. You set the parameters of the discussion based on a thirty-five year period of unprecedented achievement mostly under a man who is arguably the greatest football coach who ever lived (certainly would be right in that discussion) and then proceed to vilify every other coach we've ever had. Nicely done.

To address some issues raised. No, Frank Solich was not in over his head. The guy had been groomed for years to replace Tom, and his near NC teams of 1999 and 2001 were a testament to how well he coached. His failure lie in the assistants he chose when he needed to replace them, and the failures in recruiting that were almost inevitable when TO retired.

The fact is, Frank should never have been fired. They had a good season in 2003 and had a new defensive staff that would have kept our 35 year bowl string intact.

It's impossible to state that all of Bo's teams would rank near the bottom of that 50 year period, and you have structured this argument as yet one more attempt to vilify Pelini with entirely bogus stats. RANKING COMPARISONS ARE BULL DOODOO. You know it and so does everyone else. The landscape of the sport is entirely different than it was in the Seventies when several of TOs worst teams ('76, '77, '78, & '79) still managed to get top fifteen rankings with three losses, just because it was Nebraska.

You can't find three-loss teams in the top ten- fifteen these days (unless they're SEC), so using rankings alone as your criteria for comparison is intentionally misleading, and you know it is.

As to Bo's teams from 2011 through 2013, at their worst they were undermanned, mostly on defense, and yet still managed to win 27 games and a Division title during a period in which we can all acknowledge that he did not have championship caliber talent on defense.

Yes, that had to do with recruiting. Pelini didn't do well recruiting in 2008 or 2009 and the breakdowns over the last three years are indicative of that. However, over the last four years, Bo's classes have averaged in the top 20 and no worse than third in the B1G.

It would be nice if someone other than cm and myself could actually take a pragmatic look at the program and its realistic chances for continued success. If someone could actually be honest enough to recognize the outstanding coaching job done in 2012 with only top thirty talent at his disposal (not to mention the number of games salvaged by the sheer determination of TM to win). A lesser coach would never have won the Legends with that team.

These may not have been the best teams of the last fifty years, but they are hardly the worst. I do not accept or acknowledge your bogus criteria at all. It's entirely disingenuous.

It's simply beautiful the way you have controlled this thread, Weatherman. You set the parameters of the discussion based on a thirty-five year period of unprecedented achievement mostly under a man who is arguably the greatest football coach who ever lived (certainly would be right in that discussion) and then proceed to vilify every other coach we've ever had. Nicely done.

To address some issues raised. No, Frank Solich was not in over his head. The guy had been groomed for years to replace Tom, and his near NC teams of 1999 and 2001 were a testament to how well he coached. His failure lie in the assistants he chose when he needed to replace them, and the failures in recruiting that were almost inevitable when TO retired.

The fact is, Frank should never have been fired. They had a good season in 2003 and had a new defensive staff that would have kept our 35 year bowl string intact.

It's impossible to state that all of Bo's teams would rank near the bottom of that 50 year period, and you have structured this argument as yet one more attempt to vilify Pelini with entirely bogus stats. RANKING COMPARISONS ARE BULL DOODOO. You know it and so does everyone else. The landscape of the sport is entirely different than it was in the Seventies when several of TOs worst teams ('76, '77, '78, & '79) still managed to get top fifteen rankings with three losses, just because it was Nebraska.

You can't find three-loss teams in the top ten- fifteen these days (unless they're SEC), so using rankings alone as your criteria for comparison is intentionally misleading, and you know it is.

As to Bo's teams from 2011 through 2013, at their worst they were undermanned, mostly on defense, and yet still managed to win 27 games and a Division title during a period in which we can all acknowledge that he did not have championship caliber talent on defense.

Yes, that had to do with recruiting. Pelini didn't do well recruiting in 2008 or 2009 and the breakdowns over the last three years are indicative of that. However, over the last four years, Bo's classes have averaged in the top 20 and no worse than third in the B1G.

It would be nice if someone other than cm and myself could actually take a pragmatic look at the program and its realistic chances for continued success. If someone could actually be honest enough to recognize the outstanding coaching job done in 2012 with only top thirty talent at his disposal (not to mention the number of games salvaged by the sheer determination of TM to win). A lesser coach would never have won the Legends with that team.

These may not have been the best teams of the last fifty years, but they are hardly the worst. I do not accept or acknowledge your bogus criteria at all. It's entirely disingenuous.

I have no problem with the 2012 season. It's the 2013 season I am struggling with.

Its fun to pretend. Solich's first few years were a testament to Osborne and the state he left the program in.

And I blame the administration for "forcing" Frank to keep those assistants after TO retired. But I never liked Frank as a head coach. Sorry for how he was treated but supported his leaving.

You have taken it to such another level that you've officially created your own planet. :lol: And you do a very fine job of only capturing a portion of my words that best suits your agenda of the day.

I will forever recall your words from this season of being done with Bo. Your flip-flopping damages the credibility of your statements. At any point, you could turn again. :)

Regardless, I still find you to be one of my favorite posters. I truly do like you. I'm here only to contribute to interesting discussion. And I'm sure you feel the same. Continue to enjoy your time on the forum. Good having you here. Go Big Red!

Last edited:

If Bo takes no corrective action with our current staffing we can expect more of the same in 2014 imo..............

I'm hoping that 2014 brings the end of endless excuses..............

Im with you buddy, but I am a betting man and I say the excuses continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back