• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

#8 MSU @ NU 7:06 (CT)

Talley and Shields played valiantly! Ray's 0-10 was a killer. He killed a couple NU rallies by forcing shots. Great hustle by the guys tonight! It will always be tough when your opponent has athletic big men. I truly believe that Coach Miles is gaining the respect of the BIG officials. He remained calm in spite of some very questionable calls. I hope that will help in the coming years!

Hats off to both! Talley did what he could, in a valiant effort. Shields? Wow, he did all he could!! Again, kudoes to both. Once more, Gallegos a big disappointment!! :( He choked the whole night! Not only did he suck outside, he failed on a layup, for God's sakes!! :puke:

WHAT wasn't too bad??? :confused:

Consider Michigan State has won 11 of their last 12 games -- and the lone loss was to #1 Indiana (@Indiana) by 5. And Nebraska's 64 points was actually more points than 7 of the other 10 opponents -- including MSU holding the last two ranked teams they played to 50 and 52 points. Heck, Miles inherited probably the worst collection of talent any coach ever has at Nebraska. For the Huskers to even stay close almost all night, that's to be commended. And compared to the baseball team, a relative bright spot.

Almedia looked like he wasn't even trying. My wife even commented on how he doesn't look or move like a hoop player. If he lost 50 pounds he could be something. Too late for that though.

I have already spoken about Gallegos!!! As far as Almedia, as I have said, get rid of him!!! He is a slug, period! :(

Almedia looked like he wasn't even trying. My wife even commented on how he doesn't look or move like a hoop player. If he lost 50 pounds he could be something. Too late for that though.

Almeida never had a chance to be a factor for the whole season. Just way too big and he probably has the knees of a 15 year NFL O-lineman.

Consider Michigan State has won 11 of their last 12 games -- and the lone loss was to #1 Indiana (@Indiana) by 5. And Nebraska's 64 points was actually more points than 7 of the other 10 opponents -- including MSU holding the last two ranked teams they played to 50 and 52 points. Heck, Miles inherited probably the worst collection of talent any coach ever has at Nebraska. For the Huskers to even stay close almost all night, that's to be commended. And compared to the baseball team, a relative bright spot.

Hi HWM. I know what you mean, but forget how they hung in there; they do the same thing down the stretch that never allows them to finish with a win. They panic, take lousy shots, miss easy shots, don't go inside...blah, blah, and more!

As far as the baseball team, they will improve. Can you say the basketball team will improve? 3 wins, HWM! 3!!! :puke:

Almeida never had a chance to be a factor for the whole season. Just way too big and he probably has the knees of a 15 year NFL O-lineman.

He is overweight, period! He's one "white man" that can't jump!! :eek:
Heck, he can't get off the ground, period!

Last edited:
Hi HWM. I know what you mean, but forget how they hung in there; they do the same thing down the stretch that never allows them to finish with a win. They panic, take lousy shots, miss easy shots, don't go inside...blah, blah, and more!

As far as the baseball team, they will improve. Can you say the basketball team will improve? 3 wins, HWM! 3!!! :puke:

But Bob .... you do realize this basketball program was completely destroyed by Doc Sadler, right? I've been a loyal follower of Husker basketball (and many years season ticket holder) -- and this is easily the least talented Nebraska team I have ever seen. That's not Tim Miles' fault. So, this year was a throwaway. Every Husker fan expected us to finish near the Big Ten cellar. And for that matter, the Big Ten is the best conference in basketball. Miles has a very good track record of turning horrible teams around. It doesn't happen in year one. Impossible. We'll see improvements next season. And I'd be very surprised if we don't have at least an NCAA Tournament bubble team by year three. It's no guarantee, of course. Husker basketball has a poor winning tradition -- but it can certainly be much better than what Sadler attempted and failed. And with what may the finest facility in college basketball next season -- he'll have a major recruiting tool. Not to mention just the exposure of playing in a tremendous basketball conference.

Husker baseball, on the other hand, is dead with no hope. Joining the Big Ten killed the baseball program. Worst major conference in baseball -- by far. And it's been that way for decades. And will continue to be. It's one thing to be a northern school in a conference that has successful southern teams (the Big 12), it's another to be a northern school stuck in a northern conference that is an absolute graveyard. And I'm not even a little bit convinced that Erstad is capable. He had zero coaching experience prior to coming to Lincoln. He was a great player with a ton of heart -- but that means little. Easily my favorite Husker baseball player ever -- but that means almost nothing when it comes to coaching. I have no clue how you can recruit talent worthy of making noise on the national scene when you play in the Big Ten. I'll have to see it to believe it. The problem (blessing?) with the baseball program is that it had one incredible era thanks to Dave Van Horn. It put a ton of Husker fans onto the bandwagon -- and some still are hanging on. But I remember very well attending games at Buck Beltzer and seeing less than 100 fans in attendance. That's the real history of Husker baseball. Every bit as pathetic as the basketball program -- but for DVH's miracle work (like I've said before, it's Devaney, Osborne, and Van Horn -- three greatest coaches in Nebraska history). We will never again see anything like what Van Horn brought to our baseball team. Mark my words. The NU baseball team will not win a regional and advance for years to come. And they just don't have a chance. Playing in the Big Ten killed it. Even if they win the Big Ten, they will be so ill-prepared by playing so much garbage, they won't have the mental toughness to beat the truly good teams in the country. Sad, sad, sad. Realistically, they should be capable of winning the Big Ten. But that's like Arkansas State winning the Sun Belt. Means nothing nationally.

Tim Miles has a much better opportunity to build something than does Darin Erstad. Along with some history of doing so. Miles actualy made the NCAA Tournament last season with his Colorado State team (zero tradition). And guess what? The talent he brought to CSU is #24 in the nation right now. He built something there. Pretty darn impressive. Maybe Erstad will pleasantly surprise me; I hope so, but I just can't count on it -- not playing baseball in the ultra-pathetic Big Ten.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back