• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

7-0 and then 0-5?

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Looking at the schedule, it's entirely possible we're 7-0 heading into the Ohio State game.

In the non-con schedule, it really is just Colorado. I have to assume UTEP and UNI are virtually guaranteed wins, barring some act of God. But I think 2024 begins to further expose Deion's roster management strategy. Portaling in a fresh roster of players every year just seems like a poor long-term strategy to me. There's definitely a ceiling, as you can probably "buy" your way into a 7-9 win team via NIL or whatever coach-fame that Deion carries with him. But there's no depth. No cohesion. I think a lot of the reason it bristles with Husker fans is we're used to over a century of doing the hard work, watching freshmen ride the pine until they're juniors, and seeing that next crop of "Nebraska System" guys get their shot each fall. In short, the Deion way is very anti-Husker, so in many respects it's a perfect fit for Colorado.

We open B1G play with the squishy middle. Illinois is one of the better coached teams under Bielema, but if DR15 can manage the offense like he did in the spring game, I think we sail to a 7-0 start. The Blackshirts figure to be dominant again in 2024, and we know that in 2023 all of our 1-score losses were games in which the Huskers failed to score even 20 points. We don't need Raiola to be Superman, we need him to be an effective ball distributor and game manager. I don't think that's too much to ask of his skillset, honestly, even as a freshman.

Then... the back half of the schedule.

A late-October trip to Columbus is a likely defeat. 95% chance Ohio State wins big. We do get a BYE just before Indiana, and while I'd never expect Rhule to get caught sleeping on an upcoming opponent, you can bet he'll use the extra week of practice to heal and potentially install some anti-Buckeye measures in the playbook. Still, I think we can chalk this one up as a loss.

UCLA and USC. I have NO idea what to expect here. I wouldn't be surprised with 2 wins, 2 losses, or a 1-1 split. On paper the Bruins seem to be the weaker team and it's a home game, but I'm not calling Husker victories for either game.

Finally, Wisconsin and Iowa. All bets are off. Rivalry games. The Hawkeyes could go 0-11 and still finish with a win over Nebraska. And because it's Iowa, it would be an ugly 7-9 dumpster fire game with zero passing TDs and about a hundred punts and sacks.

Basically, I see that Ohio State game as the turning point. We have a chance to build early confidence and score some solid wins... and then the back half of 2024 turns into a chain fight. In fact, the only games I'm really even comfortable predicting are UTEP (win), UNI (win) and Ohio State (loss).

So what do you think? Do we start 7-0 and then fall apart 0-5 in the end?

2024 ScheduleOpponent
08/31UTEP
09/07Colorado
09/14Northern Iowa
09/21Illinois
09/28@Purdue
10/05Rutgers
BYEBYE
10/19@Indiana
10/26@Ohio State
11/02UCLA
11/16@USC
11/23Wisconsin
11/29@Iowa

Looking at the schedule, it's entirely possible we're 7-0 heading into the Ohio State game.

In the non-con schedule, it really is just Colorado. I have to assume UTEP and UNI are virtually guaranteed wins, barring some act of God. But I think 2024 begins to further expose Deion's roster management strategy. Portaling in a fresh roster of players every year just seems like a poor long-term strategy to me. There's definitely a ceiling, as you can probably "buy" your way into a 7-9 win team via NIL or whatever coach-fame that Deion carries with him. But there's no depth. No cohesion. I think a lot of the reason it bristles with Husker fans is we're used to over a century of doing the hard work, watching freshmen ride the pine until they're juniors, and seeing that next crop of "Nebraska System" guys get their shot each fall. In short, the Deion way is very anti-Husker, so in many respects it's a perfect fit for Colorado.

We open B1G play with the squishy middle. Illinois is one of the better coached teams under Bielema, but if DR15 can manage the offense like he did in the spring game, I think we sail to a 7-0 start. The Blackshirts figure to be dominant again in 2024, and we know that in 2023 all of our 1-score losses were games in which the Huskers failed to score even 20 points. We don't need Raiola to be Superman, we need him to be an effective ball distributor and game manager. I don't think that's too much to ask of his skillset, honestly, even as a freshman.

A late-October trip to Columbus is a likely defeat. 95% chance Ohio State wins big. We do get a BYE just before Indiana, and while I'd never expect Rhule to get caught sleeping on an upcoming opponent, you can bet he'll use the extra week of practice to heal and potentially install some anti-Buckeye measures in the playbook. Still, I think we can chalk this one up as a loss.

UCLA and USC. I have NO idea what to expect here. I wouldn't be surprised with 2 wins, 2 losses, or a 1-1 split. On paper the Bruins seem to be the weaker team and it's a home game, but I'm not calling Husker victories for either game.

Finally, Wisconsin and Iowa. All bets are off. Rivalry games. The Hawkeyes could go 0-11 and still finish with a win over Nebraska. And because it's Iowa, it would be an ugly 7-9 dumpster fire game with zero passing TDs and about a hundred punts and sacks.

Basically, I see that Ohio State game as the turning point. We have a chance to build early confidence and score some solid wins... and then the back half of 2024 turns into a chain fight. In fact, the only games I'm really even comfortable predicting are UTEP (win), UNI (win) and Ohio State (loss).

2024 ScheduleOpponent
08/31UTEP
09/07Colorado
09/14Northern Iowa
09/21Illinois
09/28@Purdue
10/05Rutgers
BYEBYE
10/19@Indiana
10/26@Ohio State
11/02UCLA
11/16@USC
11/23Wisconsin
11/29@Iowa
5-2 headed into OSU. I'm guessing 1-3 after that headed into Iowa with a 6-5 record.

We're not good enough at QB yet (at the VERY least, we're woefully unproven). Defense will be solid again, but ST (kicking) will be an issue. Until we can prove TO's aren't a problem, we have to assume they are. Same with winning close games.

Beat Iowa and win the bowl game to end up 8-5. That's a good year 2, IMO.

The only real thing I have to go on is last year. At this point we know we will likely have an improved running game at least for depth. Our defense may not be as effective, but we should also have a better QB and WR spots. I think our line will at least be as good as it was at the end of last year.

With that said, I would predict 5-2 through our first 7. I think Rutgers and Colorado are the two most likely losses. I think we win one of those and lose another head scratcher. The back half looks better than you would expect. Ohio State's insistence on the air attack left them with an offense that was average at best for a large part of last year. However, at times they were really strong. It is in Columbus so they likely win. UCLA was okish last year and USC lost a lot of production, not to mention their defense was pretty bad. They have a new DC but I actually think we beat both UCLA and USC. I think Wisconsin continues their downward spiral of poor leadership and coaching blunders. I think we beat Wisconsin. Iowa also lost a ton of ....... production? If we are as good as we should be we beat Iowa. Now, are we likely to beat all of UCLA, USC, Wisconsin and Iowa? No, the grind of the season usually leaves a game or two that confuses myself and the average fan. But if we went 9-3 I would not be surprised or if we went 7-5 I would not be surprised.

2024 ScheduleOpponent
08/31UTEP
09/07Colorado
09/14Northern Iowa
09/21Illinois
09/28@Purdue
10/05Rutgers
BYEBYE
10/19@Indiana
10/26@Ohio State
11/02UCLA
11/16@USC
11/23Wisconsin
11/29@Iowa
Starting 7-0 is possible, but I'd caution about setting that as the expectation. Colorado will still be formidable. We also seem to regularly face a B1G team early who plays us well. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Illinois or Rutgers comes out the gate and gives us a game.

0-5 is also a possibility, but I think there are some winnable games on that list.

Ohio State is probably a loss, but the other four are more of a tossup at this point in the year.
UCLA played fairly well last season, but has a new coach. Beiniemy is a good offensive mind at OC, but you have to wonder if there will be some regression in the transition year.
USC is going to always have talent, but defense was really a problem for them last year. Will they regress on offense this year after losing Williams?
Wisconsin is a team we feel like we should have beaten last year. I think they are going to be very similar to us, a team on the rise in 2nd season with new coach.
Iowa on the road is never easy. For me, our chances in that game have a lot more to do with out health. If we can enter that game fairly close to full strength I don't expect us to have problems.

I just want to get to a bowl. Obviously, the more wins the better, but we have to get to 6 wins. It wouldn't surprise me if we won 8 games, just looking at our schedule, but there are a lot of things that can change between now and when these games play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back