• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

6'7" Lincoln native stars at Simeon Career Academy

The same school that produced Derrick Rose, Jabari Parker, Nick Andersen, Bobby Simmons, Deon Thomas, or the 30/30 that featured Benji Wilson. Do we have a chance to get this kid back to Lincoln for college? As only a junior he is already getting calls from Georgetown. Left Lincoln at the age of 10 but played in the Small Fry league I believe. Mom played basketball for the Huskers, and dad played football for Nebraska.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-wp-blm-news-bc-chicago08-20131108,0,4609334.story

Once, on a family trip to Lincoln, he hugged his mother after watching former classmates play basketball. "Thank you so much for moving," he told her. "If I got out there right now, I would kill every last one of them."

#110 player in the nation
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballr...rrow-153098;_ylt=AkwmFLFPkKgyc8mzVNJtYODwOrF_

Last edited:

Not sure what our chances are, but would love to see this kid back in Lincoln!

Hopefully his mom and dad's tie to the program help our chances!

Hopefully they moved there for more than basketball. Ain't no way in hell it's worth it to live like that. The kid is obviously a baller and would be getting big time scholarships out of Lincoln, Omaha or anywhere else. Living in that cesspoll/war zone isn't worth it under any cirumstances.

Hopefully they moved there for more than basketball. Ain't no way in hell it's worth it to live like that. The kid is obviously a baller and would be getting big time scholarships out of Lincoln, Omaha or anywhere else. Living in that cesspoll/war zone isn't worth it under any cirumstances.

His grandparents (parents parents) became extremely ill, family moved back to get closer to them...

His grandparents (parents parents) became extremely ill, family moved back to get closer to them...

I know it's easy for me to say...and this is just a general statement but in the same situation...my parents would be moving closer to me...not the other way around. I read an article on the Chicago mayor yesterday and all that he's dealing with in some parts of that city...my god if there's a real "hell-on-earth" that's it.

I remember when Tyson Chandler's mom moved to LA before high school, so he could play against better competition. Happens more then we realize. If he also got a scholarship to a basketball factory, makes it seem worth the risk.

I remember when Tyson Chandler's mom moved to LA before high school, so he could play against better competition. Happens more then we realize. If he also got a scholarship to a basketball factory, makes it seem worth the risk.

Just about everybody and their brother was after Hill from Lincoln a few years back. Hell Jackman MANY years ago ended up at Duke out of some small town in NE. If you're that good they'll find you.

Again, I'm not railing on this family...apparently there were other factors and he was only 10 at the time they moved apparently. It's the general idea of moving into a ultra high risk area when you don't have to that boggles my mind.

My story to follow is a little bit - Apples and Oranges - but my son was a division 2 scholarship bball player. Played for a high-end D2 school. At that level they only give partial scholarships but his portion was pretty reasonable.

Having said that what he earned in college scholarships paled in comparison to what we spent during his high school years in camps, AAU teams, travel and training. In retrospect we would have been better off not doing that investment or a fraction of it ... and he would have likely still earned a scholarship (he was 6'8" after all). We parents chase after that elusive college scholarship, often fruitlessly!

Last edited:

My story to follow is a little bit - Apples and Oranges - but my son was a division 2 scholarship bball player. Played for a high-end D2 school. At that level they only give partial scholarships but his portion was pretty reasonable.

Having said that what he earned in college scholarships paled in comparison to what we spent during his high school years in camps, AAU teams, travel and training. In retrospect we would have been better off not doing that investment or a fraction of it ... and he would have likely still earned a scholarship (he was 6'8" after all). We parents chase after that elusive college scholarship, often fruitlessly!
Should have played basketball

We already have Keanu Pinder committed for the 2015 class who is also a PF listed at 6'8" so I assume we would bring in a guard if we have another spot open as if we would be lucky enough to get Morrow that would give us 2 guys that are similar in one class and we have Hammond who will be a redshirt freshman...

I have numerous friends who have gone down that path as well, and a couple who kind of 'let nature take it's course', so to speak. They avoided the club/travel team stuff until the very end of their high school, and then only with a team that understood their athlete was going to be participating in multiple sports, so they would only be participating when it worked into their season's schedule. Some of the teams say they won't accept that, and that's fine. She went on to be one of the top basketball players in the state, got 3 D-1 offers (including KU), was also one of the top volleyball players in the state, but at 5'10 isn't tall enough for D-1. Surprising her parents, she decided to take a scholarship offer to play D-2 volleyball. The point is, all those clubs can help a kid get some experience and some exposure, but the fact remains, if you are good enough, people will find you. Dominating at the state tournament, or during your season will get you noticed. Club tournaments are good for recruiters as they simply put a large number of athletes in a single location. It's not like going to a single game on a Friday night to see one player is an efficient way to see players.

It's almost criminal you have these organizations convincing parents their 5'7 outside hitter has a shot of a scholarship if she keeps playing club ball. At most, those parents should understand that investment will likely only get them a chance to play varsity high school, and if they are OK with that, fine, but giving the illusion they have a chance when they don't have the genetics is almost fraudulent. For what it's worth, my brother in law spent around 35K in fees, dues, travel, camps, etc., for his 2 daughters and their volleyball careers...which ended in high school. We used to argue regularly about how the clubs were not a smart investment, but he and his wife knew better and truly believed their path to a D-1 schollie was in their immediate future. They never even considered a D-2 was acceptable, and that rubbed off on their daughters. Their daughters were good, but not great volleyball players and when they realized they weren't going to be playing for Stanford or UCLA, they started losing interest.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back