• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

500 record

You are correct, but I’m looking at it as, there is a new coach here who has the ability to not lose all those games. I can tell, Rhule hates to lose. Given what I’ve witnessed, I’d be kinda pissed if NU doesn’t win at least 7. I mean, the schedule basically sucks. Nebraska won’t be this lucky with a schedule like this for a long time with the additions coming.

I am curious, how is Michigan State scrappy? They’ve beaten Richmond and Central Michigan, and basically, been beaten handily in all the rest of their games. I know it’s up there, but that’s a team you have to beat.
The way I look at future Big schedules is, we will rise quicker than the tide. But agree, it will be tougher, but so will we

Based on various ratings of future opponents, my rough estimate of NU likely wins:
NW: 70%
MSU: 55%
PU: 60%
MD: 30%
UW: 30%
IU: 40%

I think MD is probably the toughest matchup due to the high-level QB play and surprisingly good defense, but UW has the extra difficulty of being an away game.
Probably fairly accurate. Now that NU appears to have a real coach, maybe, they can out talent these teams, of which they have more talent than all of them, as a whole. Sure, NU has some holes, but so do all of these teams. Keep getting better, and they could win them all. And no, not a prediction, I’m just ready to start beating these damn teams NU (should) beat, and on paper, they should beat all of them.

I am disappointed in the performance of the offense under HCMR.

The lack of playmakers on offense especially at WR is glaring.

The performance of the defense encourages me because it reflects a toughness mentality which I hope gets instilled with the offense eventually. You look at the teams that consistently win … they have very good and very deep lines on both offense and defense.

If we had better more consistent play on the OLine it might give Rhule and Satterfield more flexibility on play calling but I think they’re hamstrung. It will be interesting as the two-deep on the offensive line lists only one senior. Do we run it back again? Even if everyone who can come back does, should MR look to the portal for upgrades?

To put blame on Rhule for ”glaring lack of talent” is laughable, given what has transpired. He both retained and brought in (or back) talent at every skill position prior to the start of the season. While he may bear the smallest sliver of responsibility for <10 months of S&C as it relates to injury, the vast majority of what has transpired in our offensive roster is well outside of Rhule, or Satterfield’s, control. He couldnt control NCAA not granting a waiver for Gilbert or his criminal stupidity, only the evaluation of Gilbert. They evaluated Sims and felt his upside outweighed his track record of turnovers and they missed…you can put that one on their tab. He couldn’t force Betts to love the game enough to stick with it. He didn’t tear 4 ACL’s or dislocate a hip or break any player’s arms. He hasn’t made excuses. They’ve plugged in the next guy up and moved on as best they can and adjusted their approach accordingly.

A transfer, three true Fr and 2 walkons are what’s left at WR, and that is NOT Rhule’s fault. The #3 RB, who happens to be starter caliber, a transfer WR, and a true FR are what we have left at RB. 2/3 QB’s have been injured most of the season, with only a walk-on or two behind them. It’s bleak, but I fail to see how Rhule ‘failed’ in the face of all that talent going into the surgical suite.

You c

You are correct, but I’m looking at it as, there is a new coach here who has the ability to not lose all those games. I can tell, Rhule hates to lose. Given what I’ve witnessed, I’d be kinda pissed if NU doesn’t win at least 7. I mean, the schedule basically sucks. Nebraska won’t be this lucky with a schedule like this for a long time with the additions coming.

I am curious, how is Michigan State scrappy? They’ve beaten Richmond and Central Michigan, and basically, been beaten handily in all the rest of their games. I know it’s up there, but that’s a team you have to beat.
Was more speaking about their game vs. Iowa. They laid down early in the season but showed some fight in that game. They led going into the 4th Q.

Like MR said in the news conference. Basically we could win every game we have left and/or we could lose every game we have left if we don't take care of business.

To put blame on Rhule for ”glaring lack of talent” is laughable, given what has transpired. He both retained and brought in (or back) talent at every skill position prior to the start of the season. While he may bear the smallest sliver of responsibility for <10 months of S&C as it relates to injury, the vast majority of what has transpired in our offensive roster is well outside of Rhule, or Satterfield’s, control. He couldnt control NCAA not granting a waiver for Gilbert or his criminal stupidity, only the evaluation of Gilbert. They evaluated Sims and felt his upside outweighed his track record of turnovers and they missed…you can put that one on their tab. He couldn’t force Betts to love the game enough to stick with it. He didn’t tear 4 ACL’s or dislocate a hip or break any player’s arms. He hasn’t made excuses. They’ve plugged in the next guy up and moved on as best they can and adjusted their approach accordingly.

A transfer, three true Fr and 2 walkons are what’s left at WR, and that is NOT Rhule’s fault. The #3 RB, who happens to be starter caliber, a transfer WR, and a true FR are what we have left at RB. 2/3 QB’s have been injured most of the season, with only a walk-on or two behind them. It’s bleak, but I fail to see how Rhule ‘failed’ in the face of all that talent going into the surgical suite.

You c
Re-read my post ... yes I started the post out talking how I am disappointed in the offense under HCMR ... the second sentence was a clarifying statement reflecting on the lack of playmakers especially at WR. I am not completely blaming the lack of depth on HCMR but he did bring in several transfers, brought back Betts but he obviously didn't get enough ... he's been reluctant to play true freshmen and we have a couple of walk-ons high on our depth chart.

The issue to me is that our offensive line has not gotten better ... every starter except Scott is a returning lineman. The group continues to flounder. Too many mistakes. Scott hasn't been that good plus he's committed several extremely costly boneheaded personal foul penalties. Piper, our captain, has been slightly better than average, also committing several penalties at inopportune times. Corcoran is playing out of position and struggles with speed rushers. Nouili/Lutovsky have been OK but that is it.

Lutovsky has not been okay at all. He's our lowest rated lineman...by far. 20% lower score than Corcoran if you can even imagine.

I think Nebraska should beat Illinois 8/10 times they play, regardless of who’s coach.
OK, you are a rare prognosticator. Most didn't. Beating them to most of us shows improvement.
The only home game in our Big schedule has been Michigan, so two away games, 1-1 , also seen as Improvement by most.
Us not escaping out past of penalties and turnovers is holding us back but our rate has slowed quite a bit and hasn't had time with playing Michigan and Illinois to really show up yet, and is why I expect us to win against NW.
I'm hoping for our best game to come against wiscy, we win if we put it together.
The team has improved over any team we've had since latter Riley.
Having all the losses at rb and wr, plus breaking in our 2nd string qb has slowed our O quite a bit, but what we have is solid, no trickery maybes, but best put your head down here we come reality, and though its wounded and not great, I'll take it over a maybe any day.

Last edited:

The competition only gets better in the BIG

Let this year play out and get the 6-7 wins

Off season will be Key. Who the coaches are able to bring in to fill the needs will tell the story of future success.

sC, Oregon, Washington UCLA will rob some of the players. It just get harder all around
Im guessing that if we get to 500 or more, recruiting will get easier and maybe even swiping players be easier too

OK, you are a rare prognosticator. Most didn't. Beating them to most of us shows improvement.
The only home game in our Big schedule has been Michigan, so two away games, 1-1 , also seen as Improvement by most.
Us not escaping out past of penalties and turnovers is holding us back but our rate has slowed quite a bit and hasn't had time with playing Michigan and Illinois to really show up yet, and is why I expect us to win against NW.
I'm hoping for our best game to come against wiscy, we win if we put it together.
The team has improved over any team we've had since latter Riley.
Having all the losses at rb and wr, plus breaking in our 2nd string qb has slowed our O quite a bit, but what we have is solid, no trickery maybes, but best put your head down here we come reality, and though its wounded and not great, I'll take it over a maybe any day.

NU beat IL
That is a good step forward
Win the games you should

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back