• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

5 Keys to Improving the Husker Football Program

1- I think having Boyd Epley is huge. He has that exact reputation. One thing they used to have was the point testing system (they did away with my sophomore year). This showed where you were at the beginning of winter or summer conditioning and how much you improved by the end. This spurred great competition among incoming freshman to show who was better coming in. This spurred great competition among individual groups like the D Line or what have you. I was well aware of this before I got there and loved that. If they haven't, they should bring that back. It not only helps breed competition on the team, it's something that is very enticing to recruits. They also used to have the Platform, and nobody was allowed to stand or sit on it unless your name was on it. There was only a certain number of Huskers in history who earned their way on it, it was very prestigious and something people strived for for years. I know about not sitting on it, because my first day as a freshman I sat down and didn't realize it and they ripped my butt apart for it. They got rid of that as well. They should definitely bring it back!

2- Yes and no. Yes because you want recruits to feel that stability. No because if Riley doesn't work out in a couple years, you don't want to look like a liar.

3- I completely understand and relate to this. But honestly, most walk ons come from inside the state of Nebraska. As mentioned in the video, we used to get 2-3 star athletes to walk on, especially from Nebraska. It wouldn't be hard to come out publicly and let it be known that our walk on program is going to be elevated and have much more of an emphasis put back on it. Then talk about all the successful walk ons we've had in the past and how valuable the walk on program is to the team. I don't think it would take much to make it very prestigious to young players across the state of Nebraska again. It used to be just getting asked to come down to Lincoln at all was a big deal. Also, increasing the number will make it more enticing, competitive and helpful to the team.
Thanks Adam. Appreciate your insights. As for #2, I was pretty much thinking 2 years when I said "X number of years". Seems to me that after 4 years a coach has had the opportunity to implement his system with his recruits and the results should start to show (or not show as the case may be).

The Performance Index is what I was referring to. As for your idea, I love it! It would probably have to be a slightly lower mark to be fair, but besides that, like I said the walk on program has been and can once again be a huge advantage for us. I don't think it would be that hard to do things like this to elevate it once again.
How can we make sure the idea gets in front of MR, MP and BE to be thought through and potentially implemented?

Adam as a former player who bled for the Huskers and played at the highest level, have you had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Coach Riley or Boyd to discuss these thoughts? Do they want to hear from guys like yourself who have a vested interest in the program or is that opening up a Pandora's box of former players giving opinions and it would be too much? I always like the idea of former players who care such as you to be able to have some sort of communication to those who may not truly understand our past. Love reading your thoughts. Please keep them coming. GBR!

GFOA- I can make a call.

J-ABS- Coaches love to hear from former players. I've spoken with them before as well.

Goal-line- It begins with recruiting, but that's not the B all end all. Out of the 86 players selected to the 2017 Pro Bowl, 50 of them were rated with 3 stars of fewer, coming out of high school. It's hard to measure intangibles.

GFOA- I can make a call.

J-ABS- Coaches love to hear from former players. I've spoken with them before as well.

Goal-line- It begins with recruiting, but that's not the B all end all. Out of the 86 players selected to the 2017 Pro Bowl, 50 of them were rated with 3 stars of fewer, coming out of high school. It's hard to measure intangibles.
True, but the sophistication of the rating gurus is getting better and better. The elite players are just that, "elite." Sure some kids will develop and mature physically. However, it is no obscure fact that we currently lack overall talent. How many Big 10 first team and second team players did we have? We lack team speed. We lack physicality. We are extremely lacking at depth for all position groups. Simply put, that all adds up to talent. When I hear coaches talk about spending time working on scheme and technique, which is very important, all it says to me is that we lack physical playmakers. When you play in the line, you need to be able to physically dominate dominate the guy across the line. Technique helps, but strength, speed and quickness is what really gets the job done. We do not have that.

Back in the day, coach Osborne made it a point to work on individual development from walk on players. Once the walk on program went out the window, we have never recovered from lack of development. Kids want to play. They are going to go where they will get playing time. I still cannot swallow the fact that our O line coach cannot find playing time for the back ups. Same thing for other position groups. What kid wants to work his rear off in the weight room and during practices if he knows he has virtually no chance of getting on the field? IMO, that is why we miss a lot of kids during the recruiting process. They want to play. It is that simple.

Last edited:
The problem is you're talking to a guy who was barely rated a 3 star. Of the 4 D ends brought in my freshman year, I was the worst rated D end we had. I was told I was too slow and I should move to the offensive line. I'll tell you one of the reasons why I was so mad about them doing away with the Performance Index. Because a year later going into my redshirt freshman year, I was only .01 of a second away from breaking the 10 yd dash record at Nebraska. I was only a couple hundreds points away from having my name on that vaunted platform. I had a couple other goals I was really close to achieving as well, and I still had 3.5 years to do it.

My point is this, yes you want 4 and 5 star recruits, who wouldn't?! But to say the main key is recruiting. End of story. Is just false and honestly, contradictory to how the Nebraska program was built, in the weight room and on the practice field.

The problem is you're talking to a guy who was barely rated a 3 star. Of the 4 D ends brought in my freshman year, I was the worst rated D end we had. I was told I was too slow and I should move to the offensive line. I'll tell you one of the reasons why I was so mad about them doing away with the Performance Index. Because a year later going into my redshirt freshman year, I was only .01 of a second away from breaking the 10 yd dash record at Nebraska. I was only a couple hundreds points away from having my name on that vaunted platform. I had a couple other goals I was really close to achieving as well, and I still had 3.5 years to do it.

My point is this, yes you want 4 and 5 star recruits, who wouldn't?! But to say the main key is recruiting. End of story. Is just false and honestly, contradictory to how the Nebraska program was built, in the weight room and on the practice field.

So shouldn't the coaching staff be doing a better job of focusing on the 500 mile radius? That is what Riley said he would do when he became the Husker head coach, but it sure seems the main focus is elsewhere. I get that some great skill position players will come from CA, FL, etc., but there should be so many talented players in Denver, KC, Omaha....

But a lot of what you post here falls under talent evaluation and that is what recruiting is all about. The recruiting services do a good job of it, but they arent perfect. The coaches need to evaluate and find guys who are the great athletes and capable of being coached. Some of them arent 4 and 5 star kids. While you were clearly underrated as a prospect coming out of high school, you were still very physically gifted. I was a good high school football player as well, but I wouldn't have been able to come remotely close to what you accomplished because I wasn't nearly as athletically gifted. That's not to dimish the obsession with perfection that you had to have to be as great as you were. Clearly you put in the work as well, but no amount of coaching up or want to would have helped me have the athletic career that you had. It's helped me be a beer league softball all-star and the sexiest man in a uniform though. At least that's what @ChitownHusker wife tells me. :Biggrin: :Cheers:

But a lot of what you post here falls under talent evaluation and that is what recruiting is all about. The recruiting services do a good job of it, but they arent perfect. The coaches need to evaluate and find guys who are the great athletes and capable of being coached. Some of them arent 4 and 5 star kids. While you were clearly underrated as a prospect coming out of high school, you were still very physically gifted. I was a good high school football player as well, but I wouldn't have been able to come remotely close to what you accomplished because I wasn't nearly as athletically gifted. That's not to dimish the obsession with perfection that you had to have to be as great as you were. Clearly you put in the work as well, but no amount of coaching up or want to would have helped me have the athletic career that you had. It's helped me be a beer league softball all-star and the sexiest man in a uniform though. At least that's what @ChitownHusker wife tells me. :Biggrin: :Cheers:

Good points Mack. Here's a picture to prove your softball uniform prowess. :Biggrin:

7177383100_e2ec76fbf2_o.jpg

GFOA- I completely agree. It usually means more to local kids as well.

BigRedFox- If there's two highly recruits side by side, all things equal I would always recruit the kid that lives closer. They are less likely to become unhappy, get home sick, transfer etc... But you always have to recruit abroad just simple because that's where a lot of talent is. \

Mack The Shark- You make great points. I think what I'm saying is, a lot of talent evaluation is based on how high profile you and/or your high school team's success. My high school team was not great and the program wasn't that well off either. The evaluators missed that and miss a lot of things. Hence the ridiculous amount of Pro Bowlers who were not highly recruited. Once I got to Nebraska and a good program that's when I grew and started getting noticed. That's something that's hard to evaluate in recruiting. I just recorded tomorrow's show and I talk about intangibles at the end of it. Intangibles is why Deshaun Watson and Clemson beat Alabama. Also, I'm sure you are the sexiest man in a uniform, but I'll take your wife's word for it. :)

GFOA- I completely agree. It usually means more to local kids as well.

BigRedFox- If there's two highly recruits side by side, all things equal I would always recruit the kid that lives closer. They are less likely to become unhappy, get home sick, transfer etc... But you always have to recruit abroad just simple because that's where a lot of talent is. \

Mack The Shark- You make great points. I think what I'm saying is, a lot of talent evaluation is based on how high profile you and/or your high school team's success. My high school team was not great and the program wasn't that well off either. The evaluators missed that and miss a lot of things. Hence the ridiculous amount of Pro Bowlers who were not highly recruited. Once I got to Nebraska and a good program that's when I grew and started getting noticed. That's something that's hard to evaluate in recruiting. I just recorded tomorrow's show and I talk about intangibles at the end of it. Intangibles is why Deshaun Watson and Clemson beat Alabama. Also, I'm sure you are the sexiest man in a uniform, but I'll take your wife's word for it. :)

Actually, you'll have to take my wife's word for it. You see, I got in a half dozen or so really solid wife jokes on Mack a couple of years ago (they weren't really jokes, mind you, Mack's wife is seriously into me, but don't tell Mack that) and Mack's been biding his time ever since, just waiting for the opportunity to get back at me.

Actually, you'll have to take my wife's word for it. You see, I got in a half dozen or so really solid wife jokes on Mack a couple of years ago (they weren't really jokes, mind you, Mack's wife is seriously into me, but don't tell Mack that) and Mack's been biding his time ever since, just waiting for the opportunity to get back at me.

That's not surprising because right there below his name it says he has the Member of a 2 Year old.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back