• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 3-Star In-state OLB Commit Garrett Nelson / Giving Up Wrestling to Enroll Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky is the limit for this kid. Love wrestlers that turn into college football players!
Cory Schlesinger comes to mind. I'm think the dude was a stud wrestler. I don't trust my memory anymore so not certain. Anybody want to confirm that or throw me down.

Love this kid's attitude!!!

“My goals in football are bigger than high school wrestling.” he said. “I want people to remember me for my career and hopefully beyond, and not my high school wrestling season.”

The driving force behind the decision is Nelson can’t imagine spending a day on the sidelines, let alone a redshirt year.

“I’ve always been a starter or a huge contributor on every team I’ve ever been on,” he said. “Picturing myself sitting on the sidelines and not doing anything kills me. I don’t like that image at all.”

It’s not that the defender thinks he’s going to come in and set Lincoln on fire, far from it, but Nelson wants the spring to work the kinks out, learn the system and grow into the college player he’s already working toward becoming.

“I’m going to be seven months ahead of the guys who come in the summer and that’s a huge advantage for me if I want to play,” he said. “I have a thing, where I know I’m a young player and I expect to go down there and dominate, but realistically I’m going to make a lot of mistakes. I’m going to get chewed out. I understand that. Being a young player down there and getting that experience ahead of guys in my class is huge for me and that’s part of the reason. I get the first part of college practice out of the way, settle in and play the spring game.”

I remember when Dan Alexander beat Steve Warren for the MO heavyweight wrestling championship back in 96 (I think). Being from MO I thought it was cool to see two Nebraska bound buys going for the title.

Last edited:

Not my life, not my decision and I understand his reasoning, but personally I think he should stay in high school and enjoy it, whether he would wrestle or not. Good luck to him no matter what.:Huskerflag:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back