• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

247 rankings, Nebraska #1 in the West, again

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
20 Year Member

24. Nebraska
39. Iowa
43. Illinois
44. Minnesota
45. Northwestern
58. Wisconsin
65. Purdue

Notables,

1. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
13. Penn State
18. Michigan
23. Michigan State

Great job by this staff to get this class pulled together. I swear, I looked at these rankings before the season ended in November and NU was in the mid 60’s. Now to just make it all click on the field…..

I think they took some swings on speed this year that they may not have to take in future years, and I'm all for that. I think speed wins lots of close ones.

Nothing in his record suggests that his teams don't play aggressively or with poor mechanics, so in a couple of years, I think we will see the fruits of this rapid recruiting period. This next year will be a weird one I suspect, but I hope they don't make foolish positional mistakes, and that field management is dramatically improved.

I have no idea if the position coaches can become or be excellent position coaches. I suspect that HC will be a lot more hands on with respect to line play than SF ever was, or in fact, most of our past coaches ever were.

Next year should be a fascinating year.

I think they took some swings on speed this year that they may not have to take in future years, and I'm all for that. I think speed wins lots of close ones.

Nothing in his record suggests that his teams don't play aggressively or with poor mechanics, so in a couple of years, I think we will see the fruits of this rapid recruiting period. This next year will be a weird one I suspect, but I hope they don't make foolish positional mistakes, and that field management is dramatically improved.

I have no idea if the position coaches can become or be excellent position coaches. I suspect that HC will be a lot more hands on with respect to line play than SF ever was, or in fact, most of our past coaches ever were.

Next year should be a fascinating year.
They are already taking swings at the TOP 5-Stars of 2024, 2025++.

Nebraska should be pulling in better classes in this brave new world of NIL...consistently top 25...consistently top in the West. EXPECTED, as Matt Rhule said.

Rhule did a great job in the time he had and coming from where we were when he took over, but that ranking is high partly due to it being such a large class.

The average rank per player is mid 30s, and the difference between our ave. per player and several other teams in the west is statistically insignificant. And by that metric all of the west still trails the big 3 in the east plus UCLA and USC by a significant margin.

Really by ave star rank this isnt a big step up from where pre-2023 Frost teams ended.

But in records Frost consistently under-performed his talent rankings. I hope between better development and better overall strategy, tactics, game management, etc. that Rhule will be able to match or exceed this first year's talent ranking. That would mean quickly contending for top of the west.

Of course the the divisions are going away, so the new equivalent will be ending up 4th or 5th in the conference, and then 6th or 7th after the Cali teams arrive.

They're working hard on 2024 and I won't be surprised if Rhule closes the gap with the leaders in next year's class, and then even more in future years as better results on the field start showing up.

Or of course, with one particular get for 2024 things don't happen even faster.

Going forward though I"m more optimistic than I was any time in the last 4 years. That's for sure.

Last edited:
Rhule did a great job in the time he had and coming from where we were when he took over, but that ranking is high partly due to it being such a large class.

The average rank per player is mid 30s, and the difference between our ave. per player and several other teams in the west is statistically insignificant. And by that metric all of the west still trails the big 3 in the east plus UCLA and USC by a significant margin.

Really by ave star rank this isnt a big step up from where pre-2023 Frost teams ended.

But in records Frost consistently under-performed his talent rankings. I hope between better development and better overall strategy, tactics, game management, etc. that Rhule will be able to match or exceed this first year's talent ranking. That would mean quickly contending for top of the west.

Of course the the divisions are going away, so the new equivalent will be ending up 4th or 5th in the conference, and then 6th or 7th after the Cali teams arrive.

They're working hard on 2024 and I won't be surprised if Rhule closes the gap with the leaders in next year's class, and then even more in future years as better results on the field start showing up.

Or of course, with one particular get for 2024 things don't happen even faster.

Going forward though I"m more optimistic than I was any time in the last 4 years. That's for sure.
I hate late cycle gets in that it usually means higher chances/lower retention.
But, it seems this staff is much much more national and/or successful no matter where they recruit.
Compare that to, if it was MJ there'd be a lot of Louisiana guys coming in, or Georgia guys, both great areas, but not alot outside of them,unlike this staff.

I think this staff overall is heads and tails better than any staff since BC in recruiting, but better than that, a much clearer view on what they're looking for.

24. Nebraska
39. Iowa
43. Illinois
44. Minnesota
45. Northwestern
58. Wisconsin
65. Purdue

Notables,

1. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
13. Penn State
18. Michigan
23. Michigan State

Great job by this staff to get this class pulled together. I swear, I looked at these rankings before the season ended in November and NU was in the mid 60’s. Now to just make it all click on the field…..
Overall, good job by Rhule and company with a transition class. The ranking is probably aided some by NU taking a VERY large class. Not sure where we would rank based on average player rating.

Future B1G members USC and UCLA are #12 and #38 respectively.

"According to USC, the Big Ten voted to accept both universities as members effective August 2, 2024."

"The Big Ten issued a statement saying it voted unanimously to accept both universities after weighing their applications to join."

Future B1G members USC and UCLA are #12 and #38 respectively.

"According to USC, the Big Ten voted to accept both universities as members effective August 2, 2024."

"The Big Ten issued a statement saying it voted unanimously to accept both universities after weighing their applications to join."
Hrrmph $$$$$ Hrrrmmphh

And when factoring in transfers and HS recruits, NU is still #1 in the West. We have 11 more new faces than anyone else in the west. When you look at average star ratings, NU is still first in the west, but all 7 schools’ averages are bunched, from a low of 86.47 to a high of 87.47.

And when factoring in transfers and HS recruits, NU is still #1 in the West. We have 11 more new faces than anyone else in the west. When you look at average star ratings, NU is still first in the west, but all 7 schools’ averages are bunched, from a low of 86.47 to a high of 87.47.
Depth, versatility advantages

Overall, good job by Rhule and company with a transition class. The ranking is probably aided some by NU taking a VERY large class. Not sure where we would rank based on average player rating.
To take that large class, and the transfers, means many have to go. Hopefully, you’re trading for better players. Lol

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back