• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 247 Free Article: 2014 OT Braden Smith (Olathe, KS) May Be The Top Prospect of 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornToBeRed

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
In what seems like every day to the folks living next door and across the street, the music constantly blares from the basement of the Smith household.
The neighbors hear it, but they're never bothered by it.
Inside, Olathe (Kan.) South’s Braden Smith, who is ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 2 offensive tackle and No. 11 prospect overall in the class-of-2014, pumps the iron. He’s been lifting weights since the fourth grade, and upon entering high school two years ago, he’s ratcheted his workouts up a notch.
Smith’s father Dave, a former Kansas linebacker, has accumulated every piece of weight lifting equipment “you can think of,†for the basement, and his son has seen his bench press climb to 455 pounds for two reps. Standing in at nearly 6-foot-6, 282-pounds, Smith can easily squat over 500 pounds.
“He lives in the basement,†the elder Smith said. “He likes to go down there and take his iPod and iHome and put it on and you can hear the music. Our neighbors have even commented to my wife, ‘Braden sure is dedicated.’ My wife said, ‘why is that?’ They said we can hear him working out.â€
All the hard work has paid off.

Read The Rest Here

It is way, way, way, way early -- But I didn't think this article spoke too well of us. He talks tradition, he talks SEC. He talks Nebraska's weight room, says it's expected for a college program. He'll come to learn otherwise, but for now -- This would be the equivalent of Miles pulling Agau.

He lost all credibility when he listed South Carolina as one of the schools with "tradition"....... if this is what today's generation defines as tradition (which is basically a run of a few good years with a distant shot at a title every so often) then I think it is about time to stop pitching tradition and call it recent success. :nod:

This kid is young and it made me grin when the article said he gardens in his down time. It will be interesting to see if he actually stays grounded after 30 DI football coaches stroke his ego for the next two years while trying to secure his commitment; its a bold statement to call him the best when there are 2 years left for kids to emerge......he's going to get the kitchen sink thrown at him and other things he probably won't be prepared for. I'm glad we're going after him just the same, will be a fun one to watch develop. Let's hope he retain's his good character through all the hoopla.

Last edited:
This is a case of one of the kids that is too close to Lincoln to let get away. Not an instate kid but in 3 hours driving distance. The Huskers have to get the ones who are close like they used to.

He lost all credibility when he listed South Carolina as one of the schools with "tradition"....... if this is what today's generation defines as tradition (which is basically a run of a few good years with a distant shot at a title every so often) then I think it is about time to stop pitching tradition and call it recent success. :nod:

This kid is young and it made me grin when the article said he gardens in his down time. It will be interesting to see if he actually stays grounded after 30 DI football coaches stroke his ego for the next two years while trying to secure his commitment; its a bold statement to call him the best when there are 2 years left for kids to emerge......he's going to get the kitchen sink thrown at him and other things he probably won't be prepared for. I'm glad we're going after him just the same, will be a fun one to watch develop. Let's hope he retain's his good character through all the hoopla.

South Carolina has “Traditionâ€￾ and the BIG is slow. What will we learn next ;)

He hasn't even started his junior year of high school yet, so I think he deserves a wide cut of slack no matter what he says at this point. ;)

As some have pointed out, he just ended his sophomore year of high school, he thinks that all major programs have great places to work out and get better as an athlete. He will find out that Nebraska is for the most part the exception and not the norm. He has a long time to go before he narrows any list down, but it seems he likes the idea of the SEC....which most kids do now-a-days with them winning the past however many national titles....

In what seems like every day to the folks living next door and across the street, the music constantly blares from the basement of the Smith household.
The neighbors hear it, but they're never bothered by it.
Inside, Olathe (Kan.) South’s Braden Smith, who is ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 2 offensive tackle and No. 11 prospect overall in the class-of-2014, pumps the iron. He’s been lifting weights since the fourth grade, and upon entering high school two years ago, he’s ratcheted his workouts up a notch.
Smith’s father Dave, a former Kansas linebacker, has accumulated every piece of weight lifting equipment “you can think of,” for the basement, and his son has seen his bench press climb to 455 pounds for two reps. Standing in at nearly 6-foot-6, 282-pounds, Smith can easily squat over 500 pounds.
“He lives in the basement,” the elder Smith said. “He likes to go down there and take his iPod and iHome and put it on and you can hear the music. Our neighbors have even commented to my wife, ‘Braden sure is dedicated.’ My wife said, ‘why is that?’ They said we can hear him working out.”
All the hard work has paid off.

If his dad can't impress upon him what tradition the Huskers have then there is no hope. Move on! ;)

This is a case of one of the kids that is too close to Lincoln to let get away. Not an instate kid but in 3 hours driving distance. The Huskers have to get the ones who are close like they used to.

We need to do a better job in this area. We're doing a better and better job of hitting up California or Texas and Ohio but there are plenty of good players within the 500-mile radius that we always talk about that we don't get.

We need to do a better job in this area. We're doing a better and better job of hitting up California or Texas and Ohio but there are plenty of good players within the 500-mile radius that we always talk about that we don't get.

It should be a major target area as the distance works in our favor for a change but there still needs to be mutual interest between the coaching staff and the recruit.

As I read this, it impressed me that NU got in early and he has visited. He was impressed by the training table.

Honestly, the talent level hasn't been great recently. We can always do better, but we are getting a good share of what is actually available, IMO.

Honestly, the talent level hasn't been great recently. We can always do better, but we are getting a good share of what is actually available, IMO.

It's never going to be great....but we haven't done a good job...or at least for as important as we like to make the whole 500-mile radius seem.

Last edited:
As I read this, it impressed me that NU got in early and he has visited.

Good mention, RedEd. Extremely important to get kids in to see it all -- Pictures don't do it justice. Hopefully we get him to campus for a game this coming year. It'll be an unofficial, but it'd be a major step for Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back