• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2024 Schedule....BRUTAL!

While nobody knows for sure how good Penn St. and Michigan will be in three years, there is about 50 years of history that suggests Ohio St., Michigan, and Penn St. are likely to be the top three teams in the East. It's another absolute joke that the Big 10 would allow anyone in the West to draw those three teams as crossover opponents in the same season. Didn't we join this conference in like 2011? The scheduling hazing needs to stop.
I don't see it that way, I say we should play Michigan, OSU, PSUY, and MSU every year....did we ever back away from OU? Or anybody for that matter back in the day? NO, we didn't, and we shouldn't now either. If we still suck, then that's what it is, but we should play the best teams we can, every chance we get. G B R
!

We better be is right. Have no doubt we will if we stick to it.
If most people had their way around here we would fire current staff and then fire the new staff when we don't win enough games in 2024 and keep the cycle going. :Rolf:
Exactly. The foolish fans, including many on this board, drove Bill Byrne away and we ended up with Pederson. :Taunt: These "fans" won't be happy unless a new coach wins 3 national championships his first 3 years. :Catfight:

Exactly. The foolish fans, including many on this board, drove Bill Byrne away and we ended up with Pederson. :Taunt: These "fans" won't be happy unless a new coach wins 3 national championships his first 3 years. :Catfight:
Well you got me there...that would make me super happy! In the mean time, non-losing seasons will make me less sad.

I don't see it that way, I say we should play Michigan, OSU, PSUY, and MSU every year....did we ever back away from OU? Or anybody for that matter back in the day? NO, we didn't, and we shouldn't now either. If we still suck, then that's what it is, but we should play the best teams we can, every chance we get. G B R
!
If you are in an 8-team, 9-team, or 10-team conference such as the old Big 8, then of course you play everyone every year. When you are in a larger conference with two divisions, there should be some balance with crossover scheduling. We did not, for example, play OU or Texas any more or less frequently than we played Baylor or Oklahoma St. in the Big 12.

I am not suggesting that we should never play any of the traditional powers in East. It just needs to be balanced and spread a bit for NU and every other West team. Over time, our crossovers should be no more or no less difficult than what Iowa, Illinois, and every other West team get. It makes no sense for a conference to arbitrarily (or purposefully) pick one team to put at a competitive disadvantage with scheduling.

Why do you think we basically had one tough game a year?
We had superior coaching and systems.
Our current team would struggle vs our '70 opponents. And those guys are in their late sixties
I agree and I'll never understand a Nebraska fan who wants to minimize past success.

Last edited:
If you are in an 8-team, 9-team, or 10-team conference such as the old Big 8, then of course you play everyone every year. When you are in a larger conference with two divisions, there should be some balance with crossover scheduling. We did not, for example, play OU or Texas any more or less frequently than we played Baylor or Oklahoma St. in the Big 12.

I am not suggesting that we should never play any of the traditional powers in East. It just needs to be balanced and spread a bit for NU and every other West team. Over time, our crossovers should be no more or no less difficult than what Iowa, Illinois, and every other West team get. It makes no sense for a conference to arbitrarily (or purposefully) pick one team to put at a competitive disadvantage with scheduling.
I've always wondered if there was some sort of rotation set up for the crossover games. Since we get Ohio State nearly every year, I assume their isn't. If we were regularly fighting for the West title the disparity in scheduling would have a huge impact on our success and chances for a championship game appearance. I get that we are going to play everyone in the West every year but the remaining crossover games should be on a rotation that promotes fairness in play.

I've always wondered if there was some sort of rotation set up for the crossover games. Since we get Ohio State nearly every year, I assume their isn't. If we were regularly fighting for the West title the disparity in scheduling would have a huge impact on our success and chances for a championship game appearance. I get that we are going to play everyone in the West every year but the remaining crossover games should be on a rotation that promotes fairness in play.
There is not. I think it's based more on TV ratings, and for some reason NU vs. OSU/MU/PSU is still sexier than a matchup with many other west teams.

Frost said as much. When he first was briefed how schedules were made in the Big Ten he reportedly was astounded. It’s all based on possible TV revenue without trying to not absolutely overwhelm any school (Supposedly)....And Nebraska still draws views. I’m not sure why the way we have played the last three years. But I guess that’s why this 2024 schedule is so brutal. It is what it is. We need to embrace it and that whine about it Methinks.... Still, in our entire membership in the Big Ten, I can’t remember a schedule that tough.

I was perusing up coming schedules and when I looked up Nebraska’s schedule for 2024....

I almost fell out of my chair.

Ohio state home
Penn State away
Michigan away
Wisconsin away
Iowa away
Northwestern away

I’m thinking we will be MUCH improved 4 years from now...

I guess we BETTER be....
Funny, when we first walked into this conference we though easily we were better than at least four of those teams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back